Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2022, 11:07 AM

2,690 posts, read 1,612,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
I can and can't blame the bar in this. Just like the individual chose to drive to a bar and drink and leave/drive drunk the bartender/s chose to serve a person who was either already drunk or over served them. But without physical clues how is a bartender supposed to know a patron is drunk.

It still comes back to the individual to chose to drink & drive. Yes there is frequently shared responsibility or contributing factors but in the end it's the drunk/driver.
That's very easy. Bartenders know who the locals are, and who drove. I'm not talking about a busy city bar. So the bartender serves the driver last call, and the bartender served the driver less than 30 minutes before that last call, and the bartender knows that the local is going to drive out of there.
I'm not saying it's the bartender's fault. I am saying that there really is no accountability when the police don't watch the bars, the bartender serves, and the driver knows darn well they are over the legal limit. Two of those people who are not driving--bartender and LE, are turning a blind eye. Not saying they should have to be more responsible than the driver, who is obviously first at fault. But we do have laws where bartenders can be charged for serving drunks, and since that is less than two drinks legally, the math is easy enough.

I'm not looking to point fingers at fault. I'm pointing out the system we currently have doesn't work. Bars pay for ubers which in turn are paid for by higher drink prices? Perhaps that's an answer.
And it sure doesn't address the problem of legal rx drug use, or weed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2022, 11:07 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
We've already tried closing all the bars. Remember Prohibition? Didn't work. Didn't take.
If alcohol prohibition didnt work...why did the federal govt turn around and create the exact same kind of laws on drugs?!

Im tired of the alcohol companies not being held responsible, or those that supply that alcohol to the person that does the killing...

You can bet, if a driver under the influence of narcotics (received from a doctor), causes an accident and others are killed...police are definitely going after the doctor who wrote the prescription! (they will determine if the doctor prescribed 'too much medicine').

I think alcohol gets a free pass only because its more popular.

Old 01-23-2022, 11:31 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
If alcohol prohibition didnt work...why did the federal govt turn around and create the exact same kind of laws on drugs?!

Im tired of the alcohol companies not being held responsible, or those that supply that alcohol to the person that does the killing...

You can bet, if a driver under the influence of narcotics (received from a doctor), causes an accident and others are killed...police are definitely going after the doctor who wrote the prescription! (they will determine if the doctor prescribed 'too much medicine').

I think alcohol gets a free pass only because its more popular.
Because war is hugely profitable to the people running it? The people who benefit the most from any kind of prohibition are those that profit from property seizures, invest in private prisons, have jobs enforcing the laws, and organized crime.

I don't agree at all that the cops would go after the doctor who prescribed the pain meds because someone chose to drive on them.

Old 01-23-2022, 12:04 PM

1,692 posts, read 611,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrychen View Post
I drove drunk a couple nights a week for 24 years, never had a problem. It's a skill. Most accidents aren't caused by drunk drivers, they're caused by traveling high speed with no skills, texting, impatience and taking unnecessary risks. Most men can drink a six-pack and get home just fine. It all depends on the individual.
Drunk driving is a skill? “I can handle it†said every drunk driver who has taken out a loved one.

Old 01-23-2022, 01:46 PM

979 posts, read 417,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginwaterland View Post
Drunk driving is a skill? “I can handle it†said every drunk driver who has taken out a loved one.
Some can, some can't.

Old 01-23-2022, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrychen View Post
Some can, some can't.
Correction, none can handle it.

Old 01-23-2022, 07:12 PM

2,161 posts, read 1,152,314 times
Omg, it's just time for people to take responsibility for the choices they make. I choose to not drink and drive. I choose to not take drugs. I was raised to be responsible for my actions and to think about the consequences of making stupid decisions. I was also a crazy and wild teen in NYC. And an underage bartender on occasion. It is true that it was too hard to keep track of the amount everyone drank. That is a non realistic pressure to put on a bartender in a popular dance or multi bar club.

Old 01-23-2022, 07:14 PM

2,161 posts, read 1,152,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMansLands View Post
Correction, none can handle it.
That is true. Those that "think they handled it" were just lucky they didn't kill themselves or someone else.

Old 01-23-2022, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC View Post
That is true. Those that "think they handled it" were just lucky they didn't kill themselves or someone else.
Exactly...overconfidence, arrogance.

Old 01-23-2022, 08:13 PM

666 posts, read 642,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMansLands View Post
It is interesting how bars have regulars that are obviously above the legal limit there every evening of the week, one near my house, rural, nobody is walking or taking an uber. Seems contradictory to our laws that this blind eye is turned everyday. Not much accountability going on here.

Has nothing to do with accountability. DUI is a huge revenue grab, no way are states letting that sweet source of easy money dry up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events