Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 12:21 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,489,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
Unfortunately, for some people it's just a very low or non-existent priority even though they can easily afford it. For others, it's not wanting to 'alter' their animals, and/or just a plain old lazy streak. Add to that a propensity to not contain their animals properly, and you have even more homeless dogs and cats.
This. It's just not a priority for some people. All of our animals (one dog and two cats) are rescues, all were dumped for one reason or another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 06:22 AM

6,790 posts, read 2,897,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
This. It's just not a priority for some people. All of our animals (one dog and two cats) are rescues, all were dumped for one reason or another.
Good for you. I have two cats (both around the same age, about 14) and both found me ...one of them as a tiny kitten who wandered on to the property during a violent thunderstorm. The other adopted me at around age 6 even though his 'real parents' lived just around the corner from me. They eventually 'signed him over' to me since he kept coming back. If there's one thing that I cannot stand it's animal cruelty or the abandoning of animals, which probably amounts to the same thing.

Old 05-01-2018, 07:22 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Cat, You and I both know all of my pets; including feral, are spayed and neutered.

However, let me add that for the very poor, (at least here in Lee Co.) they make you jump through hoops to get them sterilized. I am not the very poor, but because they are ferals, wanted to take advantage of the program. It is open to all.

A few years back, when we began trapping ferals, the Co. said they would 'rent' us a trap, with a 40.00 deposit. I drove 15 miles to the Co. Animal shelter, only to find out (after several phone calls) that they were all out.

So I bought my own, for another 10. bucks, including shipping.

Then the County tells me I must make a twice a month available appointment to have the said animal spayed or neutered.

So, where I live, going to a private Vet/Dr., is the way to fly. Florida is not the best state to offer up services...
Ferals do not admit themselves to schedule. Lee Co. does not understand this.

I paid full price, and will do so again, should I find the need to do so. SW FL Animal services sucks.

Thankfully our clinic is good about working with rescues and providing reduced price and free services for those who need it. They also have promotions on occasion. I picked up a little kitten and within a couple months she had 9 kittens. I don't know how she fit them in there she was so small and young herself. The clinic spay/neutered all the kittens for free and I found homes for all but 3 of them which I kept.

Yesterday on my way to work I saw a guy hit a dog in the road, running over his paw tearing away the flesh. He didn't even slow down, so of course I stopped to get the dog out of the road, people were just honking at him. No tags, so I loaded him up and I'm doctoring him at home trying to locate owner but I have a feeling I will be taking in another intact dog. Have I mentioned I already have 5 dogs.

What really makes me mad is that guy could have avoided hitting the dog if he would have paid attention, slowed down and stopped. We were traveling in opposite directions and I saw he dog and had plenty time to stop and allow it to get out of the road but he just kept going.

Old 05-01-2018, 12:28 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,836,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Thankfully our clinic is good about working with rescues and providing reduced price and free services for those who need it. They also have promotions on occasion. I picked up a little kitten and within a couple months she had 9 kittens. I don't know how she fit them in there she was so small and young herself. The clinic spay/neutered all the kittens for free and I found homes for all but 3 of them which I kept.

Yesterday on my way to work I saw a guy hit a dog in the road, running over his paw tearing away the flesh. He didn't even slow down, so of course I stopped to get the dog out of the road, people were just honking at him. No tags, so I loaded him up and I'm doctoring him at home trying to locate owner but I have a feeling I will be taking in another intact dog. Have I mentioned I already have 5 dogs.

What really makes me mad is that guy could have avoided hitting the dog if he would have paid attention, slowed down and stopped. We were traveling in opposite directions and I saw he dog and had plenty time to stop and allow it to get out of the road but he just kept going.
You're a good person, 2mares!

Old 05-01-2018, 01:11 PM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
You're a good person, 2mares!
Or stupid.
When I told my sister about the dog she just said "bless your heart". I know what she meant.
But thank you. I just did the right thing. Its nice to see there are so many on here that rescue strays and help feral and injured animals.

Old 05-01-2018, 04:40 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Cat, You and I both know all of my pets; including feral, are spayed and neutered.

However, let me add that for the very poor, (at least here in Lee Co.) they make you jump through hoops to get them sterilized. I am not the very poor, but because they are ferals, wanted to take advantage of the program. It is open to all.

A few years back, when we began trapping ferals, the Co. said they would 'rent' us a trap, with a 40.00 deposit. I drove 15 miles to the Co. Animal shelter, only to find out (after several phone calls) that they were all out.

So I bought my own, for another 10. bucks, including shipping.

Then the County tells me I must make a twice a month available appointment to have the said animal spayed or neutered.

So, where I live, going to a private Vet/Dr., is the way to fly. Florida is not the best state to offer up services...
Ferals do not admit themselves to schedule. Lee Co. does not understand this.

I paid full price, and will do so again, should I find the need to do so. SW FL Animal services sucks.
I understand what you're talking about. I've heard similar complaints from other areas, including some in my own state. Sometimes you're just better off not involving local governments and asking for their help. More trouble than it's worth. Sad part is, local authorities make it very hard for many people who want to do the right thing for the animals, but don't have the resources.

Old 05-01-2018, 05:34 PM

5,574 posts, read 6,498,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post

And there are people who wonder why animal lovers many times prefer animals to people. This is a perfect example of a person I would not want to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events