Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 04:12 PM

11,780 posts, read 5,792,331 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry but why are the public schools teaching this at all? It's importance is.... I learned about Judism from my Jewish friend in 7th grade - I learned about Islam from one of the doctors in our dept when I was 35. Having this knowledge or not having this knowledge did in no way effect how I have treated people throughout my life - which is acceptance. To teach about a culture or region is fine - to go into details about their religion - what prayers they say ect.. to me is a waste of taxpayer money.

Old 11-07-2015, 05:11 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,506,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
I'm sorry but why are the public schools teaching this at all? It's importance is.... I learned about Judism from my Jewish friend in 7th grade - I learned about Islam from one of the doctors in our dept when I was 35. Having this knowledge or not having this knowledge did in no way effect how I have treated people throughout my life - which is acceptance. To teach about a culture or region is fine - to go into details about their religion - what prayers they say ect.. to me is a waste of taxpayer money.
I'm pretty much with you. When studying World History in 6th and 7th grade it's necessary to learn something about religion considering the importance of religion in shaping world events and geography. The issue to me is how much about religious beliefs is necessary to grasp what students need to learn. The pillars of Islam, the call to prayer, the life of Muhammad, etc. are not necessary, nor is some of what they're taught about other religions. For 12 and 13 year-olds in public schools, the less taught about religious beliefs, the better.

Old 11-07-2015, 05:21 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,893,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Lets not turn a blind eye to this getting into our schools. Yes it should be a part of history, but reciting prayers and spending over 3 weeks on the topic in school is just overboard. Even the parent in the fox news interview says they skipped right over the other religions in the class and then SPENT 3 WEEKS on islam.. NO STUDENT SHOULD HAVE TO STUDY ANY PRAYERS regarding the faith...

Why are students in public schools studying and reciting the prayers of a religion that supposedly opposes the USA to the point of terrorism?

Did Americans kids learn all about Japan or Nazi Germany during WWII?

Did American kids learn all about Vietnam during that war?

How many kids learned all about the Soviet Union during the cold war of the 60s and 70s?

I can say no and none to the last two.

Old 11-07-2015, 06:47 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,271,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Why are students in public schools studying and reciting the prayers of a religion that supposedly opposes the USA to the point of terrorism?
You have to understand that anyone who is against America will be automatically endeared to a certain segment of the population, mostly on the left which includes schools. George Bush and Ahmadinejad were contemporaries. I recall there were some who could not make up their mind which side to be on, an I am being charitable here.

Old 11-07-2015, 07:04 PM

242 posts, read 244,576 times
Not reading the whole thread but whatever happened to the separation of church and state?

Old 11-07-2015, 08:28 PM

662 posts, read 1,281,912 times
The 7th grader (and parents) are drama queens. When you learn about world religions, you have to know the 5 pillars of Islam, because it’s basic and there’s not much more than that for a generally grasp of the religion. NOTHING has changed. I had to know this 20 years ago in school. It’s the same thing that’s emphasized in almost every world textbook in the US for the last how many decades? If you can’t say it or write it, how is the teacher supposed to know that you even know it?

Old 11-07-2015, 09:27 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,035,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Middle school parents in Tennessee are up in arms upon learning that their children were being forced to recite and write the Islamic Shahada conversion creed: “Allah is the only god and Muhammad is his prophet,” as part of an alleged ‘world history’ project.

Breitbart In the Maury County School District, students were assigned a Five Pillars of Islam project that included the translation of the pillar of “Shahada” as being, “There is no god but Allah; Muhammad is his prophet.”

"This is a seventh grade state standard, and will be on the TCAP,” Ellis said. “I didn’t have a problem with the history of Islam being taught, but to go so far as to make my child write the Shahada, is unacceptable.”

Porterfield said she has no objections to her daughter learning details of the Islamic religion, but she objects to the fact that the history unit didn’t devote similar time to Christianity or Judaism.

7th Graders in Tennessee Made to Recite

How Academic Standards Promoting Islam Have Invaded America

Time To End The Pro-Islam Agenda In Tennessee Classrooms - And Response - Chattanoogan.com

Tennessee students should be educated, not indoctrinated | Columbia Daily Herald

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA-Ilu6a5nY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtYS8JkDn4o

[Whoever it may be] bless America..

Old 11-08-2015, 07:01 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
This is a topic better suited to another forum. Pretty controversial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events