Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 04:30 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,937,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
What in tarnation is a good guy with a gun supposed to do in this situation? Just stand there and watch a crime being committed? Run to the man's aid? Dial 911?

This gentleman may have shot the wrong party but at least he had the guts to jump in there and start firing.
What a shame he didn't have the "guts" to stick around and face the consequences of his actions.

"The shooter quickly gathered up his shell casings from the pavement and fled the scene."

Texas ‘good guy with a gun’ shoots carjacking victim in head — then runs away
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 04:46 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,497,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Nobody on this thread is "screaming" for guns to be removed. I am also a gun owner and I have a CCW.

The point I tried to make - and judging by the number of reps I got is shared by others - is that being the 'good guy with the gun' in real life is nothing like as simple as many like to make out and is fraught with risks whether that be missing the target and hitting the wrong person or getting shot at yourself because some other 'good guy' or law enforcement has just shown up and doesn't know that you are the 'good guy'.

Being a responsible gun owner also involves knowing when to use your weapon and knowing your limitations.
I am generally pro gun.........and not a huge fan of Wayne? from the NRA

but I do remember after the Aurora shooting which is relevant because I was living in the area at the time it occurred

there were a couple of CCW holders with guns in the crowd at the times the shooting occurred and they did not return fire because it was unsafe to do so for them and for others so they did the right thing as a responsible gun owner they ran for their lives because they couldn't identify their target safely.

Old 09-28-2015, 05:10 PM

773 posts, read 787,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
This shooter was clearly an idiot, and this single incident probably did not help the pro-gun cause.

But, just because one moron shoots haphazardly doesn't mean that all armed citizens are suddenly incompetent.
Isn't that what's always the case? Some nut job takes a gun he had no problem getting his hands on, goes out and shoots innocent people and then pro-gunners say, "This is an isolated incident by a nut!"

Old 09-28-2015, 05:47 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,436,545 times
'murica;

Old 09-28-2015, 05:51 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,246,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
What in tarnation is a good guy with a gun supposed to do in this situation? Just stand there and watch a crime being committed? Run to the man's aid? Dial 911?

This gentleman may have shot the wrong party but at least he had the guts to jump in there and start firing.

Agreed. Shoot first, think later. Always a good recipe for success.

Brought to you by the NRA.

Old 09-28-2015, 05:54 PM

46,323 posts, read 27,157,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Agreed. Shoot first, think later. Always a good recipe for success.

Brought to you by the NRA.

Can you provide a link that links this to the NRA....

I'll be waiting a LONGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

time....

Old 09-28-2015, 07:32 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,352,346 times

Old 09-28-2015, 07:37 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,422,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
This scares me, too. When there are stories here about mass shootings such as in the movie theatres, someone always says "too bad the movie goers weren't all armed" and I just think, yes, that would have made it so much better, 50 armed panicked people all shooting at once in a dark theater.

I'm not anti-gun, but I am glad NJ's laws are stricter.
That is how I feel, too.

I have guns, but I don't like the idea of there being random bullets flying around. People may think they are trained, but you cannot train reliably for a panic situation. The science says as much.

Some people will be cool and efficient.
Most people will not.

Old 09-28-2015, 09:36 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,898,701 times
OP, please tell us you don't own a gun.

Old 09-28-2015, 11:29 PM

32,032 posts, read 36,833,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
OP, please tell us you don't own a gun.
I have the same Second amendment rights as everyone else.

Nobody is denying it's unfortunate that this fellow took a bullet in the head. However, these things happen. The man could just as easily have drowned in a swimming pool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events