Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 02:57 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,842,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Nobody on this thread is "screaming" for guns to be removed. I am also a gun owner and I have a CCW.

The point I tried to make - and judging by the number of reps I got is shared by others - is that being the 'good guy with the gun' in real life is nothing like as simple as many like to make out and is fraught with risks whether that be missing the target and hitting the wrong person or getting shot at yourself because some other 'good guy' or law enforcement has just shown up and doesn't know that you are the 'good guy'.

Being a responsible gun owner also involves knowing when to use your weapon and knowing your limitations.

I was defending the analogy first and foremost. The screaming part seems to always accompany these types of threads at some point in their lives.

I fully agree that carrying comes with knowing your limitations and capabilities. I'll certainly never try to deny that. I carry, too. Being the good guy is loaded with risks. Hitting the wrong person or an innocent bystander are among the risks. You are responsible for your bullet until it stops moving. If you squeeze the trigger, you had better be willing to accept that responsibility. This guy is facing that responsibility whether he wants to or not, as it should be.

I'm not arguing with you. We probably share the same stance on lawful carry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 03:03 PM

29,526 posts, read 22,708,719 times
Another thing is there are too many wanna be heroes and Bruce Willis' out there who no doubt are sometimes influenced by the desire and need for adulation and hero worship.

I can only imagine if this was a 'successful' incident where the carjackers were killed and the victim unharmed. The shooter would be posting an update on Facebook, "look what I just did" as he beams holding his gun, and visions of being interviewed across the country as the 'hero' who fought back against criminals.

Well, it certainly didn't pan out that way, did it?

If I were the victim, I'd be just as hella mad at the wanna be hero who put a hole in my head without apparently properly monitoring and assessing the situation.

Old 09-28-2015, 03:12 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,842,668 times
If someone posts about a successful incident, they're an idiot. At least wait until you are sure there will be no criminal charges or a civil suit. Anything you say...

I'd venture a guess that most people who have to use a firearm are not happy about it or willing to shout from the rooftops of Facebook. Once the adrenaline wears off, it's probably more about "Holy sit, I just shot someone. I need a counselor."

The so-called wannabe heroes will probably be hiding in a corner or running for their lives.

As for your last point, the guy who was shot certainly has every right to be mad as hell. He'll probably sue and win, and he deserves it. Actually, he deserved to not be shot, but we can't fix that. I just hope he is able to fully recover.

Old 09-28-2015, 03:12 PM

14,415 posts, read 14,337,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
No doubt the anti-gun crowd will try to make hay with this.

Sure, a good guy with a gun inadvertently shot this fellow in the head, but otherwise his vehicle could have been stolen right out from under him and the bad guys could have gotten away.

Man carjacked, witness opens fire at gas station in NE Houston | News - Home
Is this a joke?

Old 09-28-2015, 03:24 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,563,784 times
There are way too many maniacs on the streets.

Be careful everyone.

Whether you have a piece or not.

Old 09-28-2015, 03:26 PM

46,325 posts, read 27,157,406 times
Hey, what that on the ground? Is that a CHERRY....maybe you should PICK it up...

Old 09-28-2015, 03:33 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,936,645 times
If the victim had been carrying, the whole incident could have been averted.

Old 09-28-2015, 03:42 PM

46,987 posts, read 26,047,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Sure, a good guy with a gun inadvertently shot this fellow in the head, but otherwise his vehicle could have been stolen right out from under him and the bad guys could have gotten away.

The car was stolen, the bad guys did get away, and so the net result of having a "good" guy with a gun on the scene was the victim taking a bullet to the head. And what did the overeager wannabe do? Offer first aid? Call an ambulance? Pick up his casings and run away?

The last, obviously.

One man injured after carjacking, shooting at gas station

Quote:
Police say the witness who shot at the suspects picked up shell casings and left the scene.
At least he didn't litter.

Last edited by Dane_in_LA; 09-28-2015 at 03:51 PM..

Old 09-28-2015, 03:44 PM

46,325 posts, read 27,157,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Another thing is there are too many wanna be heroes and Bruce Willis' out there who no doubt are sometimes influenced by the desire and need for adulation and hero worship.

I can only imagine if this was a 'successful' incident where the carjackers were killed and the victim unharmed. The shooter would be posting an update on Facebook, "look what I just did" as he beams holding his gun, and visions of being interviewed across the country as the 'hero' who fought back against criminals.

Well, it certainly didn't pan out that way, did it?

If I were the victim, I'd be just as hella mad at the wanna be hero who put a hole in my head without apparently properly monitoring and assessing the situation.
Can you back up any of the bold part above?

I have asked many people on this board and they have produced squat....

But, what I will tell you is, this is a leftist meme....prove me wrong....

Old 09-28-2015, 03:44 PM

46,987 posts, read 26,047,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
If the victim had been carrying, the whole incident could have been averted.
Sure. Guns are magic like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events