Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 08:06 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,966,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The most common ailment is mental ailments and the second most common is back pain.
Are you one of those people who thinks mentally disabled people are just whiny hypochondriacs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2015, 08:19 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
Are you one of those people who thinks mentally disabled people are just whiny hypochondriacs?
I didn't say mentally disabled. I said mental ailments.

Social anxiety, panic attacks, seclusion, and even passiveness are considered mental ailments that would qualify you for SSDI.

Old 07-24-2015, 08:39 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I didn't say mentally disabled. I said mental ailments.

Social anxiety, panic attacks, seclusion, and even passiveness are considered mental ailments that would qualify you for SSDI.
I don't think so...
12.00-Mental Disorders-Adult

Old 07-24-2015, 09:22 PM

799 posts, read 1,065,682 times
It won't happen. You forget it's an election year next year.

Old 07-24-2015, 10:25 PM

8,232 posts, read 3,492,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
With the Republicans on this one. It's time to start addressing entitlement problems rather than just kicking the can down the road by robbing this to pay that, robbing this to boost the economy, and all this garbage. Raise the payroll taxes, cut SSDI, cut SSI (Retirement). Figure it out with some combination of the above. If you can't do that, cut discretionary spending and bailout the SSDI fund that way as a stopgap measure until you can.
SSI is NOT retirement. SSI is disability for low income recipients who became disabled prior to paying enough credits into system from working. The maximum benefit currently is $733/month.

Old 07-24-2015, 11:06 PM

I get SSI. $733/month. I have hard enough time trying to find a place to live with that. If they slash it I will basically be homeless for the rest of my life. I figured it'll be about $594/month I'd be getting. No landlord would ever rent to me again, ever. Nothing I can do about it.

Old 07-24-2015, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
I get SSI. $733/month. I have hard enough time trying to find a place to live with that. If they slash it I will basically be homeless for the rest of my life. I figured it'll be about $594/month I'd be getting. No landlord would ever rent to me again, ever. Nothing I can do about it.
yeah but to some politicians, that's ok- they have been poor shaming for so long that it's not even fun anymore, so now they can do "disabled-poor" shaming and when they convince at least half the population that you are an ungrateful wastrel who could work if you really wanted to they will cut that $733 in half. They always need a victim! And we can't keep giving all this money away because the "job makers" deserve it more than you.

Like I said before if you are on old age SS or get a vets pension be careful they will come after that next, and what's sad about that is that plenty of people will vote for the A-hole that openly admits to wanting to cut those benefits.

Old 07-24-2015, 11:21 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,234,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/23/us...-say.html?_r=0

What do you think? If this happens, I feel bad for those who truly need it to survive.
I think it's very sad. The Republican Congress is behind this.

Jeb Bush also wants to "phase out" Medicare. What are older people supposed to do? I was not born a Bush.

Bernie 2016!!!

Old 07-24-2015, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
I think it's very sad. The Republican Congress is behind this.

Jeb Bush also wants to "phase out" Medicare. What are older people supposed to do? I was not born a Bush.

Bernie 2016!!!
They don't care one bit. They will be careful with older people because they are reliable voters but they will tell them that the only way they can afford to pay for their benefits is to cut the benefits for people who are 50 or 55 and have been paying into the system for 30 years. It's a big BS lie, they could fix 90% of what's wrong with SS by pulling the income Cap on the SS tax, but they won't because that would affect upper income people and they are the ones who donate to their slimy campaigns.

Old 07-24-2015, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
yeah but to some politicians, that's ok- they have been poor shaming for so long that it's not even fun anymore, so now they can do "disabled-poor" shaming and when they convince at least half the population that you are an ungrateful wastrel who could work if you really wanted to they will cut that $733 in half. They always need a victim! And we can't keep giving all this money away because the "job makers" deserve it more than you.

Like I said before if you are on old age SS or get a vets pension be careful they will come after that next, and what's sad about that is that plenty of people will vote for the A-hole that openly admits to wanting to cut those benefits.
I would've rather been healthy and working. I even faked like nothing was wrong with me and would get jobs for a short time until the employer figured out I had a lot of problems and fired me. Then the problems have gotten worse as I get older. Not a thing I can do about it. I've had health problems since I was born. I've been in and out of hospitals having all sorts of procedures, surgeries, etc. for years.

I'm so messed up now I cannot even fake being normal anymore. I have to take pills just to be able to walk because I fall down without them. I'm on over a dozen pills for various ailments. I'm going blind and everything stays blurry. If I took an eye test for my driver's license for some reason I am half certain I'd fail. I worry about losing my license quite a bit.

The really insulting thing though is how I'm constantly being accused of using drugs/being a drunk because of how bad my coordination is. Treated like garbage over it. I don't drink or use any illicit drugs and never have.

I had trouble at interviews even, when I used to get one, because everyone was assuming I was intoxicated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events