Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 08:08 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,124,530 times

Advertisements

^^ I'm an unapologetic smoker at this point.

Some people's attitudes do NOT represent what this country was founded on.

We need to push through with the Revolution imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2015, 08:24 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,447,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
In my short time on this board, I have never seen you state that, I would like to see where you have. In fact, in every thread where cannabis is the topic, you rail against all consumers as "losers", "stoners" "Pot-heads" all "never to be trusted" and a scourge of the earth.

If, in fact you DO believe what you NOW claim, why the vehement stance that not only I, but others, have called you out on? Are you just trolling?

I wonder if the people who have to face you in the real world, on the other end of the law, have to face your on again/off again, "I'm in a good mood so I'll do xxx" attitude. . . that's pretty scary, Officer. Perhaps sticking to your own ethos would be more becoming of being a civil servant, if you can't maintain consistency on an internet forum, I fear for what you do in the real world.
I am with you...I was staying out of the thread, but I asked NMO to comment several times on why LEAP feels so differently about mj being decriminalized as he does, but all I got was a bunch of crap about how they must have political aspirations or otherwise aren't representative of most cops, there was nothing about how he is for decriminalization, too...I don't think he even looked at the site, or the caliber of the supporters listed on it, or their reasons for feeling the way they do and fighting for this.

NotMe, I almost choked on my cereal when you said "sorry, you don't seem open to my ideas" to the poster on this thread..talk about pots calling kettles black...

Old 04-11-2015, 08:30 AM

463 posts, read 320,717 times
Don't misinterpret what he said. He said he is for re-scheduling of cannabis. He wants it moved from Schedule I to Schedule II, but in no way decriminalized.

If anything he wants it more criminalized than it already is, because somehow he has decided he is a medical doctor who is qualified to determine what diseases or conditions warrant treatment with cannabis. This is a single digit number, he says, meaning millions who are now currently benefiting from medical cannabis will suddenly be breaking the law again because their disease isn't on his list.

Old 04-11-2015, 08:33 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,447,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
^^This.

Plants have been used for medical purposes for thousands of years. It's not a stretch that there are potential uses for the cannabis plant. The big question. Will any of these alleged medical benefits be obtained via smoking or ingestion? Most botanical agents need a lot more processing in order to be used for legitimate medical use.

I would suggest that instead of loosening marijuana laws where the only people to benefit are those wanting to smoke, that we promote true medical testing in support of the creation of real, actual medication.
Yes, let's turn it over to Big Pharma, so they can adjust it enough to patent it and then charge $5000 an ounce for it...it needs no adjustments, sometimes nature makes things right without us intervening. The growers are very adept at growing different strains for different ailments with varying chemical properties.

Research on mj is almost impossible to get approved in this country, btw due to the Federal ban.

Old 04-11-2015, 08:49 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,501,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaian View Post
What gibberish. The biggest flaw in your logic is that EVERYONE benefits by ending prohibition. Big time. On lots of fronts.

The second biggest flaw in your logic is that there are millions, yes, literally millions, of long-term, daily users of cannabis (44 years in my case). If there were any scary health problems caused by long term use they would have started showing up decades ago.

The third biggest flaw in your logic is that since it is available everywhere via the black market, and has been ever since it was criminalized, it shows just how ineffective prohibition has been.

There is very little bad that can come from ending prohibition. It doesn't work, it is horrendously expensive, and it causes people (including law enforcement officials) to lose their lives and livelihoods.

People who want to use it are going to, regardless of the laws. People who are not interested will not start up just because it becomes legal. The actual amount of consumption really won't change much from where it is now, but the billions of dollars being paid for it will go to legit businesses and taxes instead of the black market.
You actually didn't respond to my logic since none of my statements have anything to do with what you said.

I didn't mention crime or prohibition at all. I didn't mention health problems of current users. I didn't mention criminalization.

I have no idea what you are talking about. Perhaps you quoted the wrong post???

Old 04-11-2015, 08:58 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,501,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Yes, let's turn it over to Big Pharma, so they can adjust it enough to patent it and then charge $5000 an ounce for it...it needs no adjustments, sometimes nature makes things right without us intervening. The growers are very adept at growing different strains for different ailments with varying chemical properties.

Research on mj is almost impossible to get approved in this country, btw due to the Federal ban.
Big pharma aside, don't we need to know how to get the best medical benefit from the plant? It's about the delivery system. What if a synthesized pill, injection, or IV drip was more effective than smoking a joint or eating pot brownies? There is a reason why medication comes in different forms.

If anyone believes simply smoking a joint is going to cure their cancer, they are sadly mistaken. Illegal or not, every cancer patient would have a plant or two in their basement.

Old 04-11-2015, 08:59 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,086,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post

The proponents miss this nuance of potential legalization...its all about the Benjamin's...
Con Agra Phillip Morris ADM Lily... are salivating... a whole new population to bleed dry...wiilies reserve will get trampled
Thank you cgrl...you "get" it

But..hey..let's get private marijuana funding and get a real 10 year fda test... let's get it out of the hands of the cowboys growers and into pharmas greenhouses... but wait ... it only shows promise for some very specific health conditions ... so that cuts out most of the other ... "population"
Opps ... we already have marijuana medicine ... hmmm doesn't really get you high ... oh.. that's not the medicine they want

Old 04-11-2015, 09:00 AM

463 posts, read 320,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I would suggest that instead of loosening marijuana laws where the only people to benefit are those wanting to smoke, that we promote true medical testing in support of the creation of real, actual medication.
That is exactly what you wrote, unless CD is having some major database problems.

"Instead of loosening marijuana laws" means you are for continuing prohibition, is that not right?

In the post you were responding to, you were whole-heartedly agreeing with Coolhand68 when he wrote:

Quote:
Maybe it does have some health benefits in limited dosage or usage, but too many users abuse it, which detracts from any health benefits.
By agreeing with that statement, that means you agree that "abusing" it outweighs its potential health benefits, is that not right?

Everything you said came off to me as you being for the continuation of prohibition. So I, and the others, just tried to point out the flaws in that line of thinking.

Please correct me if I misinterpreted your post.

Old 04-11-2015, 10:39 AM

13,624 posts, read 10,025,945 times
Not sure if anyone is interested, but I heard about this a while ago, and here is a link. Hope this helps someone.

What It Does & How It Works « Phoenix Tears | Rick Simpson

Old 04-11-2015, 11:25 AM

26,721 posts, read 26,798,919 times
"Some animal studies also suggest certain cannabinoids may slow growth and reduce spread of some forms of cancer. However, these substances have not been tested in humans to find out if they can lower cancer risk. There is no available scientific evidence from controlled studies in humans that cannabinoids can cure or treat cancer."

"There are reports online suggesting that marijuana oil or “hemp” oil can cure cancer, as well as diabetes, ulcers....and other diseases. These claims are largely unsupportable. Relying on marijuana alone as treatment while avoiding or delaying conventional medical care for cancer may have serious health consequences."

-American Cancer Society:Marijuana
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events