Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2010, 02:24 PM

13 posts, read 34,047 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I am a recent grad of LSU, and am moving down to Corpus soon for my job. The actual location of my job is in Alice, TX. As far as I can tell, there is not too much down in the that area. I have done some apartment searches online and most of the nicer apartments are locating in Corpus Christi, which is about an hour away from my job. Ultimately, I do not mind driving that far for work. (I have spent a good portion of my life in Houston and am used to longer commutes). But of course, if I could find something closer that would be great, too. So, I was wondering if any of you on here are from the Corpus Christi area, or are familiar with Alice and could give me some tips on where to live, where to stay away from, maybe some fun things to do.

Any information would be helpful.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 08:16 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,700,000 times
That's a tough one. I used to work in Kingsville which is about a 45-minute drive from Corpus. I hated the drive, but I hated the idea of living in Kingsville even more. If you decide to live in CC, you should look at apartments as far on the Southside as possible to cut your commute time. Or possibly in downtown CC with quick access to I-37, or an apartment complex like The Rafters, which is on I-37.

You should probably talk to your future co-workers for ideas about whether it's better to live in Alice and come to CC when you're off, or live in CC and make the daily commute to Alice.

Good luck with your move, and welcome to the area!

Old 02-04-2010, 10:01 AM

87 posts, read 376,154 times
Default Alice

If you truly don't mind the commute from Corpus to Alice, I would strongly suggest living in Corpus. You have correctly deduced that there is little to occupy your time in Alice, apart from a very small theater and some restaurants. The only draw, IMO, is that you could probably rent a whole house in Alice easier than an apartment, if that floats your boat.

The drive would be fairly free of traffic, and there are multiple back road ways to get from one town to the other.

Good luck!

Old 02-06-2010, 03:44 PM

592 posts, read 2,024,359 times
I would not live in Alice. Too small of a town

Old 02-16-2010, 07:15 AM

1 posts, read 6,701 times
I lived in Alice for a few years. There is not much do to do, BUT it does have all the basics, movies, chilies, HEB, Superwalmart and probably a lot more since I left. Unless they built some new apartments, I would live at the Sunset Apts on Sunset St or find a rental in the county areas. There are a lot of hidden rentals, the market is overpriced by the owners and my friends tell me a lot of houses have been up for sale for a while, so finding a rental in Alice should be easy, just pick the right neighborhoods, north side of 44, east of 281. I also lived at the Rafters in Corpus, they were nice, but I know they went down hill over the years. There was a lot of development along 44 going into Corpus, Webber Road west area, and along I 37. The best commute to Alice is via TX44, so living close to an access to 44 is the best route. Stay away from Robstown unless you find a rental house on the north side of town which is pretty nice, and San Diego, west of Alice. Nothing but trouble in those towns. Living in the country is nice, I had several friends that lived on ranches with extra houses they rented, that was nice. Good luck, I sure cant wait to move back to Corpus.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:15 PM

1,678 posts, read 4,010,275 times
I lived at The Rafters last year. They werent bad at all. There is a low income part of the apartment complex, and that is in the back part of it. That is generally where most of the disturbances come from, but to be honest, I rarely saw much in the way of criminal action anywhere at those apartments.

Also, where do you get the hour commute to Alice? I can understand if you live on CC Southide, like around Airline or Staples, that there would be a long commute, but if you live in the Calallen area, the commute is like 30-40 minutes, going on 44 west. Alice is only 35 miles from the western edge of CC (5 points area/624).

Anyhow, I would agree with other posters... live in CC, commute to Alice if at all possible. Although I have nothing against Alice, you will find alot more to do in your off time if you live in CC. Just my .02.

Ian

Old 11-19-2010, 06:58 AM

1 posts, read 5,813 times
hey my husband is looking into moving too. if you can consider having a room mate. renting a two bedroom apartment. he is a clean and nice guy. he is going to start working in alice too. ill talk to my husband about it. his schedule will be 5am till around 9pm. rotating 6 on and 2 days off. on those days off he will be traveling to the valley. its an idea.

carmen

Old 11-19-2010, 07:44 AM

484 posts, read 1,631,217 times
Yeah, I had noticed Halliburton was staffing up lately, probably the other oil field service providers will do the same, I had occasion to be down to the DMV recently and there was about a dozen guys in Halliburton coveralls taking their CDL exams, the clerk told me that had been going on for awhile. So there will be probably be some competition for living quarters in and around Alice.

Orange Grove is probably safer but again, there's nothing to do there. Like the others above, I recommend living in Corpus and learning to deal with the commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi