Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 12:32 PM

449 posts, read 881,857 times

Advertisements

Hello Guys: I am getting ready to purchase my FIRST digital camera. Which one will you recommend? Thank you,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 12:58 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,305,365 times
I really like my fujifilm. Everyone complements my pictures. I also have a kodak easy share that fits in my purse.

Old 03-25-2010, 01:03 PM

8,953 posts, read 20,778,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miranda Sebastian View Post
Hello Guys: I am getting ready to purchase my FIRST digital camera. Which one will you recommend? Thank you,
If you're moving from film to digital my advice is K.I.S.S. (Keep it simple sam)

Buy a Canon A series camera since they are easy to lean , are compatible with both Mac & PC's while producing great photos.

(Tip: make sure you know how to load your photos to your computer before you buy)

Disclaimer: I now use Pentax cameras but I did start with Canon for the reasons I stated

Old 03-25-2010, 02:18 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,947,235 times
Look for these things for a first camera.

1 - batteries, simple AA or AAA size,
----(so you can get them anywhere ..)
2 - Large pre-viewing area,
----(but see if it has a view finder, sometimes hard to see in bright sunlight)
3 - at least 3 times actual zoom,
----(do NOT get all hyped up about digital zoom ---
---- digital zoom is nothing but cropping the picture,
---- you can do that on your computer)
4 - small enough if you prefer to keep in your front pocket or something like that.
5 - at least 256 kb of storage.
6 - go for largest pixel amount you can afford budget wise.
7 - hold it in your hands, check the *feel*.
8 - find out about operating the camera .. simple ????
--- some cameras have so many options, you need a road map ....
9 - if you do not have a card reader, check if USB transfer possible.

LBNL, take pic and see what it looks like on the preview window.
Do this inside and outside a building. Does the pic look natural ?

Old 03-25-2010, 02:20 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,960,954 times
Definitely get to a store and handle some cameras. You want to spend some time to make sure you are comfortable with where the buttons are, the size, and how to operate the basic functions. Most places have them turned on so you can actually take pictures right there with the camera and see how it works. You might be surprised how button placement can make a huge difference in the ease and fun of the camera.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:23 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,350,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Look for these things for a first camera.

1 - batteries, simple AA or AAA size,
----(so you can get them anywhere ..)

5 - at least 256 kb of storage.

6 - go for largest pixel amount you can afford budget wise.
1. A digital camera will drain batteries really quick, even those AA and AAA batteries that are 'designed' for digital cameras. Most digital cameras these days have a dedicated battery that can either be charged with a wall charger, or charged by using USB and a computer.

5. Unless the pictures are going straight to a computer or the lowest picture quality settings are used, I would go with at least 1 gig.

6. Megapixels are kind of confusing; most people assume the higher the megapixels, the better the camera/picture. This is not true. Cameras are built with different technology and I have seen 5 megapixel cameras that took better pictures than 10 megapixel cameras. Think of it like this: a $1500 35mm film camera with a $5 lens will take inferior pictures compared to a $300 35 mm film camera with a $500 lens.

Regardless, a decent point-and-shoot digital camera can be had for under $100 from Target, Wal-Mart, K-Mart, et. al. that will more than likely suit your needs.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:36 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,350,769 times
As far as brands are concerned, all the major brands make decent cameras that all have the same, basic, set of features. Depending on the brand, you may get some features that you don't want or will not need, at an additional charge. For example, I am currently using a Samsung NV3 as my just-throw-it-in-my-backpack point-and-shoot camera that I carry around daily for candid shots. The camera has an mp3 player, which totally baffles my mind. if the camera was not on sale when I purchased it, I would not have purchased it all full price as I do not wish to spend extra money for a camera that doubles as a portable music device.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:36 PM

1,456 posts, read 6,062,081 times
My choosing is between Canon and Nikon, but I've picked Canon both times and its worked well.

My older camera is a Canon A650 IS which has been described as a Canon G7 minus frills. Its been so nice to use, that I'm pretty sure my next camera will be something like the Canon G11.

Or whatever follows.

My other camera is a 20 x zoom Canon SX10 IS which is pleasureable to use. I really like the zoom.

But I hear the Canon G11 praised from so many angles and professions, that its one to keep in mind.

Panasonic makes one small Lumix model that is almost compact with 10 or 12 zoom. Forget the model. But more compact yet.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:35 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,328,157 times
I've been considering that Lumix camera. With decades of experience with 35mm SLRs, I've got to have manual focusing and shutter- and aperture-priority settings. The FZ35 has both, along with a long zoom ratio (I forget what it is). But it seems like a great little camera. A DSLR will come later.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:35 AM

28,804 posts, read 47,979,414 times
We have an older Canon, SD500, I believe. Excellent camera and it takes good pictures. Digital zoom sucks as mentioned in an earlier post. Fits easily into a pants pocket. My wife's favorite camera.

Get one of those plastic covers for the viewing screen.

We also have a Panasonic DMC-ZS3 that has 12x zoom and takes HD movies. Took it on our last cruise and then on a zip line and it held up well. I did purchase a Priscilla lens for it to protect the shutter. I'm guessing this is overkill for your first digital unless you are really serious about taking pictures.

Price the replacement batteries. The best I could find for the Panasonic was $50 per, mainly because they block third party batteries so you have to pay Panasonic's price. You want to have at least one extra with in case the one in use runs low. Most have a compact charger that plugs into a wall outlet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics