Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 01:59 PM

71 posts, read 212,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
Thanks for this, 'Caver. This is a nice looking camera, and even has the old-fashioned viewfinder, I'm looking for. Newegg has it on sale right now. It's larger than the Canon point & shoot I've been considering, but not much more expensive. Hmmmm, I'm going to think about this one.

Vanilla, you gonna look at this one? It's right here: Newegg.com - FUJIFILM FINEPIX S1800 Black 12.0 MP 3.0" 230K LCD 18X Optical Zoom 28mm Wide Angle Digital Camera
Nope, I'm not going to look at it too much because I ended up making my decision

I ended up going outside of my Fujifilm thought and went Canon with a silver - Canon A3100 IS. If I looked at another camera, it would have most likely been a Fujifilm.

All the Nikon suggestions I got just didn't float my boat, sorry, I'm certainly a Canon over Nikon guy all around, just by preference. As a tertiary suggestion, I would have then got a Nikon, because I do not like Olympus, not to childish and pick brands, I didn't like the cameras I saw from them in 2005, in 2009, or in late 2010, sorry, again out of preference. Is it just me, or are Sony and even Panasonic digital cameras sometimes terribly overpriced?

I have been happy with the results of the pictures from my new Canon I am picky about image quality and can assure you, for the 18 dollars in the end I payed for this camera (Christmas gift cards helped a bunch ), I can't go wrong. I just don't have the funds to get a more upper range compact camera / point and shoot, and my choose reflects what I want and what I wanted to pay. I'm not a big photography, and it's not yet a big happy for me.

In the coming years, if I do get into photography and do have the funds, I'll consider entering the DSLR world with most likely an entry Canon DSLR, depends how Canon does at that time or if I want to try looking at another manufacturer [first]. Thanks to this purchase, I'm long done with Kodak and glad, a few years ago as kid, Kodak was nice for a cheap point and shoot, now I can gladly say the Kodak I got last year was my last mistake and their cheap crap isn't worth laughing it. Fujifilm will still be considered in the future along with any other brands I end up liking products from whenever I might look again, depending on what I want.

The reason I said "along the lines of no more than 100-150 (max) dollars" was because my Best Buy gift cards cover around that much and I didn't feel like dishing out much more, because like I said, I'm not a photographer, or fully into the hobby yet, so consider that the next time you suggest cameras that are $199.99, $299.99 and $159.99. I was waiting for something to give me a 300-500 dollar suggestion and laugh it. Please read, some of you.

Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 05:27 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,453,158 times
Check out Panasonic's Lumix series, terrific picture quality & features, and a great value even in their cheapest point-and-shoot models. Canon's well-known Power Shot series is fine, but these days I think the Leica lenses found in most of the Lumix series are even better, and you'll never go back to anything less, after using their standard 28mm wide angle zoom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics