Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which small town is best!
Oxfordd 4 36.36%
Southbury 6 54.55%
Huntington (found a house there too) 1 9.09%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 07:46 AM

26 posts, read 98,979 times

Advertisements

Hi friends. What a stressful month it has been, sleeping on sleeping bags awaiting our belongings and having issues with our moving company. Outrageous!!!

But here I am again seeking your help. We live right now in the Walnut area of Milford. Nice coast, but Milford is far too built up for us. We have narrowed our favourite towns down to Oxford or Southbury. We must be near Trumbull. It looks like you can get more in Southbury but it is also a longer drive to Trumbull for us. We found two houses, love both, but cannot decide which town!

Your statee is beautiful! So far we LOVE it and it smashes all negative stereotypes our fellow Kiwis have back home of the Americans!

I hope I made the poll correctLy!

Old 07-16-2009, 08:09 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Both towns are similar socioeconomically and are both well-kept communities with good schools. Southbury has a higher median age and has more along the lines of shopping, but is a longer ride to Fairfield County. You really can't go wrong with either town. If I were to choose, I'd pick Oxford, but I'm a little biased since my parents live there and I spend a lot of time in the town.

Huntington is decent as well, and is more along the lines of neighboring Trumbull and Monroe. Huntington will be minutes from Trumbull, also.

Most people north of Trumbull commute RT 8 South, and traffic is often clogged on 8 heading over the Commodore-Hull bridge (is that the correct name, Rich?).

Either way, you're on the right track. Hope your situation works out, and you get your belongings soon! (Are you shipping furniture???)

Old 07-16-2009, 08:25 AM

26 posts, read 98,979 times
Default thanks!

Thanks, kidyankee! Your response is what I expected, that both are good areas. Can you let us know how the public schools are in Shelton, more pinpointing Huntington though!

Old 07-16-2009, 08:56 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,902,409 times
I personally prefer Oxford over Southington, because of the lack of development. Huntington is also nice, but it's actually just a section of Shelton, which is a city. Most of Shelton's elementary schools are good, but I've heard from several families that the high school there has some some issues.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:32 AM

2,102 posts, read 7,758,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Most people north of Trumbull commute RT 8 South, and traffic is often clogged on 8 heading over the Commodore-Hull bridge (is that the correct name, Rich?).
Yep. By the way, I've been commuting to Middlebury for the past two months working at a temporary assignment. The hours have been 47 - 58 per week.

Old 07-16-2009, 12:34 PM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
All three locations are good. It hard to pick but I would say for convenience Huntington. It is closer to more things including Trumbull. Second would be Southbury because it has more shopping in town and third for Oxford. All three have good schools. Here is a link to information on them. Jay

Strategic School Profiles by District

Strategic School Profiles by School

Old 07-16-2009, 05:26 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,865,844 times
I'd choose Huntington because you'll have an easy commute, and Shelton has always seemed to have lower taxes then most communities. While Shelton has grown, and continues to do so, they seem to be doing a fair job of not letting things get too far out of control. Intermediate and High School will not be up to par with Southbury and Oxford though.

If the choice were between Southbury and Oxford, i'd choose Southbury, hands down. Southbury is an established upper-middle class community whose residents don't really flaunt their position. Oxford by contrast, was considered to be the boondocks where the "hicks" lived up until about 15 years ago. The town was "discovered" by lower Fairfield County refugees looking to create a more afforable version of towns like Weston/Wilton/Ridgefield. So, Oxford is a bit strange, IMHO. It still has a large contingent of the "hicks" who fight to keep the town as it used to be(affordable and lightly developed), and it has a large number of newbies who are flashy and demand things like new High Schools.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:13 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
I'd choose Huntington because you'll have an easy commute, and Shelton has always seemed to have lower taxes then most communities. While Shelton has grown, and continues to do so, they seem to be doing a fair job of not letting things get too far out of control. Intermediate and High School will not be up to par with Southbury and Oxford though.

If the choice were between Southbury and Oxford, i'd choose Southbury, hands down. Southbury is an established upper-middle class community whose residents don't really flaunt their position. Oxford by contrast, was considered to be the boondocks where the "hicks" lived up until about 15 years ago. The town was "discovered" by lower Fairfield County refugees looking to create a more afforable version of towns like Weston/Wilton/Ridgefield. So, Oxford is a bit strange, IMHO. It still has a large contingent of the "hicks" who fight to keep the town as it used to be(affordable and lightly developed), and it has a large number of newbies who are flashy and demand things like new High Schools.
You make some interesting accusations. First I think your calling folks up in Oxford "hicks" and "strange" is a bit out of line, untrue and snobby. Yes the town was discovered not long ago, and the newbies can be a bit pretentious (but of course, not all). The old timers are mostly elderly from what I can see, and most of the homes are well kept on green lawns. I hardly feel that those who attempt to keep a town rural are worthy of insult - they are trying to keep the town from turning into Milford or Derby, which, according to the newspapers, developers are trying very hard to do.

I must ask, what do you define as a "hick"? I guess some folks don't travel much if they want to call anyone in CT a true "hick". There is a huge difference between those who live in the country, and "hicks".

Back on topic - IMO, while Southbury is a beautiful town, they are slowly being overtaken by "big box" stores. Sadly the town govt. sees dollar signs instead.

Last edited by kidyankee764; 07-16-2009 at 08:14 PM..

Old 07-16-2009, 07:16 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,845,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi1209 View Post
Hi friends. What a stressful month it has been, sleeping on sleeping bags awaiting our belongings and having issues with our moving company. Outrageous!!!

But here I am again seeking your help. We live right now in the Walnut area of Milford. Nice coast, but Milford is far too built up for us. We have narrowed our favourite towns down to Oxford or Southbury. We must be near Trumbull. It looks like you can get more in Southbury but it is also a longer drive to Trumbull for us. We found two houses, love both, but cannot decide which town!

Your statee is beautiful! So far we LOVE it and it smashes all negative stereotypes our fellow Kiwis have back home of the Americans!

I hope I made the poll correctLy!
If close to Trumbull is your priority why wouldn't you look there? Tashua has very generous size lots and is beautiful. Trumbull has awesome family recreation (great outdoor pool facilities, too) and a wonderful school system as well. Oxford and Southbury are also so pretty and definately more rural than Trumbull or Shelton. Huntington is a beautiful section of Shelton, but it is Shelton. Shelton high school does have some issues and isn't competitive with the other towns mentioned. Good luck!

Editing to add: Shelton is also a great place to live. I didn't mean to sound like it wasn't. I would say Shelton and Trumbull are more suburban, Oxford, Southbury, rural. Quite frankly we are splitting hairs - they are all nice!

Old 07-16-2009, 08:00 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,865,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
You make some interesting accusations. First I think your calling folks up in Oxford "hicks" and "strange" is a bit out of line, untrue and snobby. Yes the town was discovered not long ago, and the newbies can be a bit pretentious (but of course, not all). The old timers are mostly elderly from what I can see, and most of the homes are well kept on green lawns. I hardly feel that those who attempt to keep a town rural are worthy of insult - they are trying to keep the town from turning into Milford or Derby, which, according to the newspapers, developers are trying very hard to do.

I must ask, what do you define as a "hick"? I guess some folks don't travel much if they want to call anyone in CT a true "hick". There is a huge difference between those who live in the country, and "hicks".

Back on topic - IMO, while Southbury is a beautiful town, they are slowly being overtaken by "big box" stores. Sadly the town govt. sees dollar signs instead of
How am i a snob when the community that i'm discussing has higher average property values than the town that i live in? Slow down and read my post again, more carefully. BTW, some people take offense to the phrase "old-timer". "Senior citizen" is the PC word nowadays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut