Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 01:08 AM

10 posts, read 57,146 times

Advertisements

I am a college student that will be transfering to The University of Bridgeport in the fall. I have done alot of reasearch on the area and was able to visit last spring. It seems that many people feel that the area is very dangerous while other feel that it has become safer with all the new building in the area. I am from a very large city so I am use to crime and cities with very mixed areas. I would like to know if the UB area is safe to walk around during the day and evening and if one could get by with public transportation and still be safe. Also what areas should be avoided.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 02:40 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,688,340 times
I would not suggest walking around in downtown Bridgeport alone now, yes it is better than used to be 10 years ago when things were rougher, but is still just not a place I'd go for a walk alone. Back 40 years ago it was very safe, the city beach which is right by U.B. was beautiful, it had an amusement area, and ballrooms. Most people who's parents come from around here still hear stories of how gorgeous it was ~ but not now. They've come a long way, but still have some way to go before it becomes a pedestrian friendly area.

Old 07-13-2008, 04:27 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seymourct View Post
They've come a long way, but still have some way to go before it becomes a pedestrian friendly area.
So true.

Old 07-13-2008, 07:23 PM

10,068 posts, read 14,444,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas 12 View Post
I am a college student that will be transfering to The University of Bridgeport in the fall. I have done alot of reasearch on the area and was able to visit last spring. It seems that many people feel that the area is very dangerous while other feel that it has become safer with all the new building in the area. I am from a very large city so I am use to crime and cities with very mixed areas. I would like to know if the UB area is safe to walk around during the day and evening and if one could get by with public transportation and still be safe. Also what areas should be avoided.
Thanks
The area around Bridgeport University looks as if time has stood still since the 1960s--essentially time has forgotten that area. The area 2-3 blocks outside of the University is very sketchy, and crime-ridden. It has AMAZING potential for good things in the future, but with a crook mayor for years and lack of vision, this area in Bridgeport has continued to get worse and worse over the years and crime and urban decay continue to increase.

I'd recommend living in a different part, like Black Rock, or Brooklawn in Bridgeport, and commuting in.

Old 07-14-2008, 10:02 AM

34,936 posts, read 56,945,109 times
You could certainly walk around the UB area during the day, but at night I would be a bit wary. I hate to tell you all but that area has had issues for a ONG time. I know someone that went to UB in the 1960's and back then they could not walk around at night. I also know someone that worked in the area from the early 60's to the 90's and they made sure they were out of the office before dark even back in the 60's. Jay

Old 07-14-2008, 10:56 AM

3 posts, read 15,717 times
I've ben in BPT for 21 years. I went to UB for two years or so, and during the day, assuming you aren't walking UP park ave, you can walk around wherever you like on campus without worry during the day and even during evening hours.

However, at night, there was a stabbing and a robbery ON CAMPUS outside the buildings, but there are plenty of students and campus police riding around there. If you do want to walk around there at night, I would stay away from the seaside area of the campus but around where the cafeterias are and the rec-center, you're plenty safe. Nobody walks around there, campus police bikers are there all the time and it's lit enough to see someone coming 100 feet away.

Whatever you do, during day or night, DO NOT walk yourself up park ave. If you're going to live in the dorms, lock your doors every time you leave. The girls dorm had someone just walk into her room and lift her laptop and nobody noticed. Dorm security is there till after hours - 4-6am'ish.

Summary: It's fine if you're not going to the edges of your campus no matter the time. Just keep a small pocket knife and cell phone on you at all times so you don't give anyone a reason.

Old 07-14-2008, 11:12 AM

271 posts, read 1,278,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seymourct View Post
Back 40 years ago it was very safe, the city beach which is right by U.B. was beautiful,
Seaside Park is still beautiful! I would argue that today it is even better thanks to all the gorgeous Brazilian girls in the area! Que beldade!!!

Old 07-14-2008, 11:13 AM

271 posts, read 1,278,538 times
You want to avoid the Marina Village housing project located off of Park Avenue by the train tracks. However, there is a restaurant called Rootsman Kitchen on Park Ave, that has really good jerk chicken. I've been there many times and never had a problem (I wouldn't go there late at night).

It seems like you are considering living on campus without a car. UB has lots of security, you should be fine. The city bus system is decent and UB has a shuttle bus for students as well. Sadly, there isn't much retail in that area other than a few bodegas. For shopping you will have to hop on a bus.

GBTA [Home Page — Welcome]

Old 07-14-2008, 02:21 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,688,340 times
Default avoid Marina Village

Quote:
Originally Posted by reason180 View Post
You want to avoid the Marina Village housing project located off of Park Avenue by the train tracks.
Good advice to avoid Marina Village and lower Park Avenue. Sadly, the CT Post Newspaper is reporting that a man was shot to death just last night in a parking lot across from Marina Village in the Park Avenue and Railroad Avenue vicinity. There was a huge Puerto Rican Day parade in the city, and after party going on. Lots of crowds, but no one saw a thing. His family has loss, people should be safe but down there that is not necessarily so.

Old 07-15-2008, 04:16 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,415,423 times
My wife worked there till a few years back. The best description I can think of is ghetto. The park is nice tho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut