Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 04:08 AM

21,634 posts, read 31,242,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
People complaining "We're adults. NWS need to just give us the facts, and we'll decide" start off the wrong premise -- NWS does NOT have any facts to give. They make educated guesses, but they are not magicians.

Maybe people should face the truth that "Hey a storm is coming", and understand like the rest of us (including Trump) that metereologists do not get it exactly.

I think NWS did a great job with this storm -- They miss-guessed 30-40 miles for a storm that was 500 miles long. Big deal!!!
But in this case, they knew exactly however refused to release the information they had a full 12-24 hours before the storm hit. It's their duty to report what they believe will happen, in a fair an accurate way. It's not their duty to withhold information because they're concerned how the general public will react. Thats up to public officials.

Old 03-16-2017, 05:32 AM

4,321 posts, read 4,212,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
But in this case, they knew exactly however refused to release the information they had a full 12-24 hours before the storm hit. It's their duty to report what they believe will happen, in a fair an accurate way. It's not their duty to withhold information because they're concerned how the general public will react. Thats up to public officials.
That's where we disagree -- they didn't have any information to give. They just had some computer models that guessed less snow. Their computer models sometimes have not been accurate, plus they seemed to think that even that late forecast was shaky.

Secondly, per article, NWS is moving towards a "forecast the impact" model rather than "forecast the inches."

So they made a judgment call not to revise their snowfall totals; besides flip-flopping on forecast would create more confusion and chaos.

NYC was still a mess yesterday, although 12-20" didn't materialize.

Old 03-16-2017, 05:38 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,386,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneMeyer View Post
Is there something that can be done about snow plows plowing snow back into the driveway? People died in this storm from heart attacks and my neighbors were out trying to shovel out a foot of the rock hard snow from the bottom of the driveway. One just had surgery and the husband has a heart condition. I myself had a difficult time with it and helping them. I was late for work. This is simply unacceptable. There has to be something one can do.
I just kept going out and cleaning it up to keep up with it. Had to go out anyway to clear an area for the pup, so a walk to the drive and a few extra minutes paid off

Old 03-16-2017, 05:43 AM

@ Kidyankee:

This wasn't a snowfall event. This was a blizzard, and snowfall was just one component. This storm had very high winds and gusts, poor to no visibility, ice-forming, and flooding on top of everything else. Jersey shore for example was flooded with 3 to 7 feet of water.

Old 03-16-2017, 06:41 AM

83,551 posts, read 75,428,957 times
Im on the side that NWS should of said something. But I myself wasnt really pushing the lower totals being shown. I think I did like once then was focused on what was happening rather then what could happen. Plus I stop following models within 36hrs.

However to credit NWS in a sense my Blizzard warning got downgraded to winter storm warning at 8am so they did do "something" to show it wouldnt be as bad.

But look at the totals out there.. 12"+ DID happen and was a noteworthy event away from big cities and coasts

As far as being a blizzard. Criteria is 3 hours of low visibility or winds of 35mph. While we may not have had 3 hours worth, we DID get blizzard conditions at times. Areas of MA, NH, ME did officially have a Blizzard.

Lastly.. nobody alive today saw that much snow falling in 1 day in March in Hartford and Scranton. Most likely many other areas as well since we dont have records for them. So it warranted the headlines.

Lastly Lastly, if the track shifted East 25 miles instead of west then Hartford wouldnt have gotten the crazy total and NYC would have. This storm is good proof for a new study and to remember what a small change in track can do in which can happen within 24hrs.

Old 03-16-2017, 07:54 AM

21,634 posts, read 31,242,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
That's where we disagree -- they didn't have any information to give. They just had some computer models that guessed less snow. Their computer models sometimes have not been accurate, plus they seemed to think that even that late forecast was shaky.

Secondly, per article, NWS is moving towards a "forecast the impact" model rather than "forecast the inches."

So they made a judgment call not to revise their snowfall totals; besides flip-flopping on forecast would create more confusion and chaos.

NYC was still a mess yesterday, although 12-20" didn't materialize.
They did have information to give - they had models coming in saying most of the area was to get almost a foot less than predicted. They refused to alter the forecast because they didn't want to "confuse" the public. Even when the storm was done, they were still forecasting 18-24" for my area!

Re: "forecasting the impact", nearly every road in the state was passable so the impact was far less than anticipated, even with the ice and sleet in its place.

As I said, they have a duty to give us the information coming in - keeping information from the public, for whatever reason, isn't acceptable IMO. It's like that friend who doesn't tell someone something "for their own good".

Old 03-16-2017, 08:38 AM

Understood. However I am of the school of thought -- take whatever NWS with a grain of salt. They may be high, they may be low. Actually a few years ago they (and NYC) were caught with their pants down when Nature dumped a foot more than NWS forecast. So, these weather events may turn at last minute.

Another problem is timing -- if this blizzard was happening sometime in Jan or Feb, then our reaction or psychology would be different. But this happening mid-March catches people and institutions out of their routines, so weird reactions are to be expected. So yes shut it down for a day.

It's like that first snow in Nov -- most accidents happen during those 2" of snowfall versus 12" deep into February.

Old 03-16-2017, 09:17 AM

519 posts, read 583,243 times
Well all I can say is that anyone who did any shoveling or snow blowing will feel this was a real storm. And that's all I'll say on the matter...

Old 03-16-2017, 09:35 AM

21,782 posts, read 28,131,791 times
It's pretty crazy how completely unable Metro North is able to cope with a winter storm.

Long after the snow stopped falling and the wind subsided, trains yesterday were a nightmare. Altered schedule, obscene overcrowding, delays. Especially for the PM commute, essentially 24 hours after weather returned to normal.

I don't get it. It wasn't a hurricane.

Old 03-16-2017, 10:18 AM

3,351 posts, read 4,174,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
It's pretty crazy how completely unable Metro North is able to cope with a winter storm.

Long after the snow stopped falling and the wind subsided, trains yesterday were a nightmare. Altered schedule, obscene overcrowding, delays. Especially for the PM commute, essentially 24 hours after weather returned to normal.

I don't get it. It wasn't a hurricane.
I'm on the NH line and had no issues yesterday with timetable or overcrowded. Weird. 6:41 in and 8:01 out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut