Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2024, 10:12 PM

10,593 posts, read 15,593,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonusa3 View Post
Stonington along A1A:
The only vineyard I have been to in CT was in Stonington or North Stonington. I don’t remember the vineyard’s name since it was a long time ago. First and only time I tasted CT wine (I’m not a wine drinker, hence no drinking it more but that isn’t a testament of whether the wine was good or not.)

Maybe back then it might had been one of the few (or only) vineyard in CT, but recently on my way from the Merritt Parkway/Wilbur Cross Parkway to the University of New Haven in West Haven I quickly witnessed a vineyard from the road. Surprised me, though had it not been raining I would had gone back to capture it in film and/or photos. I don’t know if that was already West Haven or a nearby municipality.

Is that the only vineyard in New Haven county?

How popular are vineyards in some parts of CT?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2024, 01:54 PM

35,450 posts, read 57,914,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
The only vineyard I have been to in CT was in Stonington or North Stonington. I don’t remember the vineyard’s name since it was a long time ago. First and only time I tasted CT wine (I’m not a wine drinker, hence no drinking it more but that isn’t a testament of whether the wine was good or not.)

Maybe back then it might had been one of the few (or only) vineyard in CT, but recently on my way from the Merritt Parkway/Wilbur Cross Parkway to the University of New Haven in West Haven I quickly witnessed a vineyard from the road. Surprised me, though had it not been raining I would had gone back to capture it in film and/or photos. I don’t know if that was already West Haven or a nearby municipality.

There are several, more than I thought.

https://visitnewhaven.com/dining/vineyards/

Old 07-15-2024, 06:41 AM

1,255 posts, read 530,141 times
Quote:

Although my pics were not of the vineyard in Stonington, yes there is one in Stonington (I've actually never been there). There are also many in CT and from what I understand, Long Island now has many vineyards. They mentioned that the Island is often cooler in summer, by there is a very long frost free period (something like 220 days). So I guess it's a location to grow grapes.

Old 07-15-2024, 07:46 AM

22,055 posts, read 28,706,224 times
Quote:

In Stonington you may have been at Jonathan Edward’s. It’s the best vineyard and wine I’ve had in the northeast. Part of this is that they use California grapes for a lot of their varieties.

There’s no vineyard in West Haven and no vineyard visible from 15.

Maybe you meant Stappa in Orange on 34.

As Jay said, there’s several in New Haven County including popular Gouveia and Chamard.

Old 07-15-2024, 02:37 PM

1,995 posts, read 886,737 times

July 15th, 2024

near Colchester, CT

Old Yesterday, 04:11 AM

10,593 posts, read 15,593,085 times
Interesting to find this at The Stamford Historical Society website.

Stamford’s World War II Service Roll

A similar situation must be with many towns in the area. Practically every town that I have been to has something in memory of people from each town that were set to WWI, WWII, Vietnam War, etc.

With Stamford there have been changes to the original WWII Service Role which was in Central Park (now Veteran’s Memorial Park) in addition to the WWII service rolls in several neighborhoods (Bulls Head, Springdale, Liberty Street -West Side-, etc).

Something that surprised me was the size of the Stamford’s population that was called to service in WWII. Then it had a population of 61,215; over 10,000 Stamford men went to WWII. Wow!

In April of 1944 (notice the 4 trilogy as April is 4), 51 names of Stamford men were added with bronze stars (they were killed in the war) and that number grew to 233.

The original service roll was destroyed in 1960 due to the effect of the climate (it was made of wood). However, it says:

http://stamfordhistory.org/wp-conten...plete-Book.pdf

A few years ago the park was redesigned again, but the monoliths (I don’t know if all of them or some of them) were conserved, albeit placed a different area in the park.) A few months ago I actually filmed a nocturnal visit to the park (I had no idea how big of an impact WWII had on Stamford.)

See the video below, the Veteran’s Memorial Park visit starts at 3:56. As said in another post a long time ago, all videos are filmed in 4K. For whatever reason, Youtube decides what videos are shown in 4K and which ones only in HD. Annoying… So if this video doesn’t show as 4K, that’s all on YT.

https://youtu.be/q92UzDvUATU?si=g6uhfxkO32WEijcx

Old Today, 06:19 AM

1,255 posts, read 530,141 times
Sunrise on a humid morning in Connecticut after a night of thunderstorms:

Attached Thumbnails
Photo & Video Thread-sun1.jpg  

Old Today, 07:19 AM

1,995 posts, read 886,737 times

look where I was yesterday
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut