Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2015, 12:50 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,154,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Im also sensing myself getting edgy. LMAO! NEED SNOW & COLD ASAP! White Flag is going to come out soon. Maybe this is the year it will mean something, not last December. lol
It is depressing if you like snow and cold right now. Nothing in sight really much below normal.

Old 11-19-2015, 01:38 PM

83,502 posts, read 75,252,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
Once you have driven on snow tires, you see just how awful all seasons are even in a small amount of snow. It is tough to go back to crappy tires!
This..

Not talking about "getting by" or just "good enough"...more like whats "better". Cant beat the treads and traction of tires "specifically" designed for snow even on non hilly roads.

Some people will buy extra rims as well so they can just jack up the car and change tires themselves. I think thats an expensive investment being some tire companies swap out for free or few bucks.

Plus if you get another car those rims might not fit. But is convenient to have

Old 11-19-2015, 01:50 PM

Quote:
This..

Not talking about "getting by" or just "good enough"...more like whats "better". Cant beat the treads and traction of tires "specifically" designed for snow even on non hilly roads.

Some people will buy extra rims as well so they can just jack up the car and change tires themselves. I think thats an expensive investment being some tire companies swap out for free or few bucks.

Plus if you get another car those rims might not fit. But is convenient to have
LOL...having a good pair of all-seasons is not just "getting by" ...

And yes Mels..if you have steep hills to climb and long uphill driveways I might consider the same thing. but like Wishes said..for most people who don't live in snow, belts snow tires went bye bye in the 70's.

EACH HIS OWN THOUGH.

Old 11-19-2015, 02:17 PM

JP, you dont live in Kansas. There are hills in every county in CT. Even if you dont travel any back roads, the Merritt has them. But again, even on straight aways and turns you feel the difference.

Lets put this to rest. All seasons are fine but Snowtires are "better".

Winter & Snow Tires vs. All Season Tires | Bridgestone Tires

"If you only see a few snow flurries each year and slick, icy roads are more of a fluke than an annual ordeal, all season tires are probably the way to go"

"A unique feature of winter tires is deeper tread depths and unique tread patterns. Deeper tread depths reduce snow buildup and provide better traction on the snow. Winter tire tread patterns are designed to channel snow and slush and expel water."

"Winter tires also feature an increased number of biting edges and high sipe densities, or in other words, thousands of tiny slits in the tread that provide traction on ice"

"In extreme cold temperatures, the tread rubber of an all season or summer tire stiffens and becomes less able to provide sufficient traction. To combat this, tread rubber compounds of winter tires are designed to remain flexible, allowing the tire to grip the road better."

" The combination of cold temperatures, ice, and snow can be best met by winter tires, which are specially designed to perform in winter conditions"

Old 11-19-2015, 02:35 PM

566 posts, read 592,393 times
Lots of rain coming your way tonight.. do the bread and milk run and tucker in..

Old 11-19-2015, 02:58 PM

[quote=Cambium;41996754]J

/QUOTE]

We will put to rest but gee...a tire company wants you to buy snow tires..what a shock..

Old 11-19-2015, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Im also sensing myself getting edgy. LMAO! NEED SNOW & COLD ASAP! White Flag is going to come out soon. Maybe this is the year it will mean something, not last December. lol
Have you taken a close look at the first 2 or 3 days in December? Long way out but seems long terms are indicating something. Not much but that might be a small window of a quick shot of snow.

Old 11-19-2015, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Have you taken a close look at the first 2 or 3 days in December? Long way out but seems long terms are indicating something. Not much but that might be a small window of a quick shot of snow.
I'm getting that "screw that long range" feeling again. lol We'll see. There are indications of the chance but we all know how that goes....and went. lol

I'm in storm mode in that thread. Exciting. Hope they are all ready. Especially Iowa. 6-10"?!

Raining finally here. Radar showing a nice slug of moisture in NJ now.

Old 11-19-2015, 03:37 PM

6,571 posts, read 4,964,901 times
[quote=jp03;41997334]
Quote:
J

/QUOTE]

We will put to rest but gee...a tire company wants you to buy snow tires..what a shock..
Seriously - if you ever have a chance to do back to back comparisons of different tires on the same car, DO IT! Night and day difference, whether it's ice or snow.

There's a great video out there of a Subaru (? Saab? Volvo? whatever it is, it's known as being a great winter car) with all seasons vs a Porsche with snows. Night and day.

I do the swap in my driveway, takes all of 20 minutes. Went to get pricing today, just need to get the final numbers and decide on size.

Hopefully that will ensure no snow this year.

Old 11-19-2015, 04:24 PM

11,295 posts, read 18,876,476 times
Quote:
I'm getting that "screw that long range" feeling again. lol We'll see. There are indications of the chance but we all know how that goes....and went. lol

I'm in storm mode in that thread. Exciting. Hope they are all ready. Especially Iowa. 6-10"?!

Raining finally here. Radar showing a nice slug of moisture in NJ now.
Left Bridgeport at 415pm today no rain yet at all, started to see drizzle/light rain around Stamford, by about Rye it was pouring the rest of the way home.....a LOT of rain/visibility related and rush hour traffic on I-95 south today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut