Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2015, 02:08 PM

3,435 posts, read 3,957,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
Really I just look for low temps before I put snow tires on. I live in a very hilly area and I don't call out of work for a minor snow storm, so first and foremost the tires are for snowy conditions. However, all season tires pretty much suck starting around the 40F degree mark. Snow tires on dry pavement at 35 degrees are better than all seasons, hands down. So I am looking at temps, not snow events. I know November was trending warm. If December looks the same, I may hold off for a while. I try to keep the mileage on the snow tires as low as possible, plus running them on warmer days shortens their life.
This. Just put my snows on yesterday, but that was b/c I was also getting the oil changed so might as well kill two birds with one stone. But I usually wait until after Thanksgiving / beginning of December to put them on, as the temps are low enough to justify it. And I usually take them off around St. Paddy's day, although if we have a cold winter like last year they may stay on until April.

Old 11-18-2015, 02:36 PM

83,581 posts, read 75,545,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
This. Just put my snows on yesterday, but that was b/c I was also getting the oil changed so might as well kill two birds with one stone. But I usually wait until after Thanksgiving / beginning of December to put them on, as the temps are low enough to justify it. And I usually take them off around St. Paddy's day, although if we have a cold winter like last year they may stay on until April.
Don't know how much you drive but it would equate to about 1500 wasted miles on snow tires for me if the first snows end up in mid December. I got a new car so I'm even going to preserve them more. Next year they'll go on. This year I will have to just deal with the new Seasonals.

Old 11-18-2015, 02:54 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,185,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
100% NO. All seasons suck COMPARED TO snow tires. No comparisons. You can have the best All Season tire and it wont be as good as the worst Snow tire. Treads & grips are different.

All seasons a little worn is even worse.
LOL..30 years of winter driving in all seasons..never hit a thing.

Old 11-18-2015, 02:59 PM

3,435 posts, read 3,957,850 times
Quote:
Don't know how much you drive but it would equate to about 1500 wasted miles on snow tires for me if the first snows end up in mid December. I got a new car so I'm even going to preserve them more. Next year they'll go on. This year I will have to just deal with the new Seasonals.
They have one year left on them, so I'm not too concerned about a little extra wear. I've gotten five years out of them already, so I've gotten my moneys worth.

Old 11-18-2015, 05:04 PM

6,603 posts, read 5,006,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
LOL..30 years of winter driving in all seasons..never hit a thing.
Never say never! it's obvious you've never done back to back comparisons.

On another topic, I had to turn my heat on tonight.

Old 11-18-2015, 05:05 PM

Any football games in those areas this weekend? Awesome!!
Last graphic you can see how close this is/was to us getting a little snow. Things are off a bit

Old 11-18-2015, 06:49 PM

11,319 posts, read 18,933,626 times
Quote:
A good set of all seasons is sufficient. Why the need for snow tires unless you live in a very snowy mountainous area?
This was in the 1970s! I never switch snow tires, I always use all-seasons and never have a problem.

Quote:

Not because of Bangladesh global temp trend.. the coastal storm is too close and the front is too slow! That's why.
Again, getting a bit too sensitive on this. I never said everything is that, big difference between exaggeration and completely bogus. Inland tracks pull warm air from the south and cause rain instead of snow even in the dead of winter and was true 100+ years ago too, so of course it's not that.

Old 11-18-2015, 11:35 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,093,510 times
Quote:
You miss the snow huh....
Whatever the challenges are of living where I now live, all I have to do is think about snow and the decision process of "should I cancel classes tonight" or "should I try to drive to work amid the idiots who cannot drive in the snow" and I'm pretty happy with my decision to be where snow is an unlikely occurrence.

I grew up in the "lake effect" snow belt southeast of Lake Erie, so I'm probably in the 95th percentile of people in the US who have dealt with snow. Really, I'm just done with it. Enough is enough.

Old 11-19-2015, 03:41 AM

8 months without snow is enough. Its been since March! Lets get going now.

Back in the picture but probably nothing accumulating unless theres a burst of it somewhere.

AN UPPER LEVEL SHORTWAVE AND ASSOCIATED SURFACE COLD FRONT WILL MOVE ACROSS THE REGION SATURDAY NIGHT INTO SUNDAY...WHICH COULD SET OFF A FEW RAIN AND/OR RAIN/SNOW SHOWERS. WILL CARRY JUST SOME CHANCE POPS FOR THIS.

Old 11-19-2015, 06:05 AM

Thought it would be raining by now. Did it slow down? Looks like heavier this evening and tonight. Should start around or after lunch time.

BTW.. I started a thread for the snowstorm tomorrow in the MidWest. Will update throughout.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/weath...-nov-20-a.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut