Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2022, 08:44 AM

1,729 posts, read 1,149,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Down here in the corner everyones back in offices. Rush hour is back to full-force terrible traffic. Everyday.
The summer weekend 95 standstills are back too. You can't move. The "you build it, they will come" crowd is vehemently opposed to any infrastructure upgrades but it doesn't matter because "they" are coming regardless.

pickup again to what? It was dead Before Covid.
I was at a wedding in DT Hartford around 2 BC. A beautiful warm Saturday evening that was eerily quiet. It was uncanny. I remember thinking where was everyone. I walked by what looked like a nice trendy restaurant, it was closed with all the chairs on the tables. There was literally no one around not even a bum. You could freely walk across the street anywhere without needing a crosswalk. I couldn't believe it.
Compared with 20 years ago, as I said in a previous post. Not compared with 2019--when yes, it was already pretty dead.

2 BC? Before Christ? There weren't any tribal events going on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2022, 08:50 AM

1,729 posts, read 1,149,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
New Haven has drawn suburbanites. A lot of people choose to live there for the city experience. I know some younger people that work in suburbs in area but choose to live in New Haven.

Then you can look at other popular small cities in northeast and it’s possible, but Hartford has a longgg way to go to make its downtown appealing.

Have they chosen this since the pandemic though? That's the real question. I'll bet even New Haven sees more of a migration to the suburbs or just fewer people moving there from the suburbs. WFH takes so much of the lure of living in the city away. And even if they do live in the city, they may discover like I have that living in a converted office building in the city is just pretty lousy WFH ambiance and they may bolt when their lease ends.

Old 06-19-2022, 03:05 PM

21,770 posts, read 28,108,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanthegoldengod View Post
Have they chosen this since the pandemic though? That's the real question. I'll bet even New Haven sees more of a migration to the suburbs or just fewer people moving there from the suburbs. WFH takes so much of the lure of living in the city away. And even if they do live in the city, they may discover like I have that living in a converted office building in the city is just pretty lousy WFH ambiance and they may bolt when their lease ends.
New Haven had no problem filling new apartments during the pandemic and home prices appreciated just like neighboring suburbs. I don’t think the outflow effect you mention in big cities during Covid was a factor in smaller, lower key cities like New Haven.

If you go out in New Haven now, the streets are busy as ever, apartments are going up in droves, and new businesses are opening.

Old 06-19-2022, 04:00 PM

34,948 posts, read 56,980,181 times
Quote:
New Haven had no problem filling new apartments during the pandemic and home prices appreciated just like neighboring suburbs. I don’t think the outflow effect you mention in big cities during Covid was a factor in smaller, lower key cities like New Haven.

If you go out in New Haven now, the streets are busy as ever, apartments are going up in droves, and new businesses are opening.
Actually Hartford hasn’t either had a problem filling apartments. That’s why we continue to multiple new buildings proposed.

I also agree that smaller cities were less affected by the Covid crisis. You just didn’t see the exodus you saw in big cities Jay

Old 06-20-2022, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Actually Hartford hasn’t either had a problem filling apartments. That’s why we continue to multiple new buildings proposed.

I also agree that smaller cities were less affected by the Covid crisis. You just didn’t see the exodus you saw in big cities Jay
Yeah, Hartford apartments seem to be doing well. I wonder if office conversions are in its future?

Old 06-21-2022, 04:53 AM

7,927 posts, read 7,823,402 times
Some of those offices were empty student forms. I've seen an interesting pattern with what's going on.

Young graduates in their early 20s actually do what to do back to the office. They are sick of what they dealt with in high school and universities. However your mid career professions are leaving. Unless you can try to block or delay adulthood further (buying a house, car, getting an apartment, having a kid, bring a caregiver for parents, funding a retirement, starting a business etc) you'll have a very hard time getting them back.

What might help...

On site day care, on-site holding of deliveries (think groceries /meal plans), on site laundry services, on-site gym, on-site car work, shuttle buses) I was at a place long ago that had some of this. Dot com things like free beer and Foosball are not going to be work.

Apartments growth without looking at other things (logistics of groceries, transit) might not work

Old 06-21-2022, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Yeah, Hartford apartments seem to be doing well. I wonder if office conversions are in its future?
It’s already happening BIG TIME. Many are older early 20th Century buildings but some are newer. This one was built for the Hartford National Bank & Trust in 1967. And the old Travelers Training Center on Constitution Plaza is likely next. Jay

https://www.777mainstreet.com/

https://www.hartfordbusiness.com/art...ford-gets-crda

Old 06-21-2022, 10:03 AM

Got tickets for a Yard Goats game in July. Looking forward to it.

Old 06-21-2022, 07:28 PM

6,921 posts, read 3,757,734 times
Quote:
Got tickets for a Yard Goats game in July. Looking forward to it.
Keep looking to do the same but it never materializes. Pulled in too many directions. One of these days, and then followed up with dinner at Zoharra's.

Old 06-22-2022, 08:54 AM

Cementing Hartford’s title as the Insurance Capital of the World, a massive Insurance Capital Summit was held yesterday at the Connecticut Convention Center. Jay

https://www.hartfordbusiness.com/art...rtford-tuesday
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut