Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2015, 10:33 AM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
Mentioned Chelsea "type" of place, not literally another CP. Maybe recreation oriented place with aquatics, community pool or something. Some green space like that Cambium guy says, don't know. Though I think upscale shopping would do well there, it can do without the lamo chain restaurants, let Danbury and Milford have those. You just know Cheesecake and Buffalo Wild Wings probably have their greasy paws all over the blueprints right now. End of the day, I think it will remain a pile of dirt for the next 30 years.
I agree Norwalk certainly doesn't need those chains but unfortunately they come with developing large scale retail development these days. I don't think either of them are in the same league as the already announced retailers but developers want to fill space and in order to obtain financing so they often take whatever national chain that wants to come in.

I do think this will get built however. The anchor tenants announced, particularly Nordstrom's, is a big draw and just about assures success and thus financing. The only problem could be with local approval. If there is strong enough opposition that is able to delay the project, there may be a delay in financing which can be fatal to development. That is a developer's worst nightmare. Fairfield Metro Center is a prime example. The developer had financing in place for the concourse building, one office building and the hotel. The morons at the Fairfield Conservation Commission office dragged their feet for months on minor changes to the project's approval. Finally First Selectman Flatto took charge and removed the staff from the review of the project but by that point the financial crisis had hit and the developer's financing had disappeared. If it was not for that staff (who IMHO should have been fired and almost was) there would be several buildings on the site today generating tax revenue for the town. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 10:43 AM

9,909 posts, read 7,689,224 times
Isn't SoNo suppose to be the SoHo of the East? Wouldn't thst affect it's image.

Old 08-10-2015, 11:11 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,178,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I agree Norwalk certainly doesn't need those chains but unfortunately they come with developing large scale retail development these days. I don't think either of them are in the same league as the already announced retailers but developers want to fill space and in order to obtain financing so they often take whatever national chain that wants to come in.

I do think this will get built however. The anchor tenants announced, particularly Nordstrom's, is a big draw and just about assures success and thus financing. The only problem could be with local approval. If there is strong enough opposition that is able to delay the project, there may be a delay in financing which can be fatal to development. That is a developer's worst nightmare. Fairfield Metro Center is a prime example. The developer had financing in place for the concourse building, one office building and the hotel. The morons at the Fairfield Conservation Commission office dragged their feet for months on minor changes to the project's approval. Finally First Selectman Flatto took charge and removed the staff from the review of the project but by that point the financial crisis had hit and the developer's financing had disappeared. If it was not for that staff (who IMHO should have been fired and almost was) there would be several buildings on the site today generating tax revenue for the town. Jay
Still needs to clear some hurdles, may be up for a vote or something. Like I said, 30 years.

Old 08-10-2015, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Isn't SoNo suppose to be the SoHo of the East? Wouldn't thst affect it's image.
Not really, Sono is more geared towards entertainment and dining. Any retail there is of the small, useless, browse only, boutiquey stuff that comes and goes.

Old 08-10-2015, 12:04 PM

10,058 posts, read 14,929,390 times
Quote:

I don't think Norwalk cares much about those things. If they did, Conn Ave wouldn't had become what it is, especially the stretch from the Darien border and about the area of Lowes.

Old 08-10-2015, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
I don't think Norwalk cares much about those things. If they did, Conn Ave wouldn't had become what it is, especially the stretch from the Darien border and about the area of Lowes.
Its the post rd, what the hell were they supposed to do? leave an empty abandoned Drive In theater and some trailer parks.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:59 PM

10,058 posts, read 14,929,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
Its the post rd, what the hell were they supposed to do? leave an empty abandoned Drive In theater and some trailer parks.
Ever passed through Darien? Greenwich? It looks and feels much better than the typical suburbia look of Norwalk and I'm limiting to just Rt 1 in all three towns. Even on the opposite end of Rt 1 heading towards Westport, the Norwalk stretch looks horrible.

Old 08-10-2015, 08:40 PM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Ever passed through Darien? Greenwich? It looks and feels much better than the typical suburbia look of Norwalk and I'm limiting to just Rt 1 in all three towns. Even on the opposite end of Rt 1 heading towards Westport, the Norwalk stretch looks horrible.
Horrible??? Not even close. Sure it is not as upscale as Darien and Westport but it is hardly horrible. It just looks like most commercial strips throughout the country. Jay

Old 08-10-2015, 08:53 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,327,830 times
Wow, this is fantastic news for Norwalk. Will be a huge draw and big economic boost for CT.

Old 08-10-2015, 09:35 PM

811 posts, read 1,738,028 times
Quote:
Horrible??? Not even close. Sure it is not as upscale as Darien and Westport but it is hardly horrible. It just looks like most commercial strips throughout the country. Jay
It's not horrible. Aesthetically it could be more pleasing but there's plenty of good eateries, shops, and services in this strip (talking between Stew's and Westport Whole Foods). Slowing there's a building or two being renewed here or there. I think once the mall is built and draws interest towards Norwalk overall, I think there will be a few more renovations along that strip.

With the mall, I think it's good for Norwalk and another reason someone might want to live in the town. Not to be close to the mall per say but to be close to the bundle of economic and entertainment venues which the mall will be a part of. The next big project proposal has to be the train station... I'm waiting for it. More parking and a renovated station and cleaned up area around the station will be needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut