Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2015, 11:38 AM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I can just picture it. "Honey, do you want to go to Norwalk or Manhattan today?". That was a poor example. . there are upscale shopping which they go to in Fairfield. It won't be comparable to a day of shopping in NYC. And let's face it , any " upscale" shopper won't be coming from Norwalk so maybe its in the wrong spot.. That would go well in Ridgefield , Wilton, Danbury vicinity.

And once again I call BS on all that " good for city" talk. How is Westport doing without a Mall? How about all those other cities in CT?. Are they going bankrupt because they don't have one? Give me a break.. This isn't needed in an already congested area. How about providing oxygen to residents and create a park with trees & trails instead? Lol

I tell you, the mentality is so different in southern part of state. I was driving through these towns and villiages in northern Litchfield last Saturday and it just felt great. No office buildings, no malls, and the stores themselves looked like homes. Residents and city doing just fine. paying their taxes and living life. No need for these "concrete farms" there.
I guess we will just have to agree to disagree on this one. Believe me, the fact that Nordstrom's is going into the new mall will make all the difference. They know exactly how many shoppers they get in White Plains from Fairfield County and how many will now be going to their new store. They have been eyeing New Haven County too because so many of their Westfarms customers are from towns like Woodbridge and Madison. They would have made a move there already but they really could not find an appropriate location. Lets face it Westfield's Connecticut Post in Milford would not cut it for their type of store. They likely will wait to see how this new store does before thinking about New Haven again.

And yes it would be lovely if that area could be turned into a park for some much needed green space but that is not happening and you forget what was on the site before it was all torn down. It was a bunch of densely spaced multi-family homes and some tired old businesses (yes there were some good ones too but I do remember when prostitutes hung out on the corners there and no I never used them). It was rightly felt that this land was too valuable to be left the way it was. JMHO, Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 03:43 PM

691 posts, read 1,149,769 times
Were you really expecting an objective reply?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I can just picture it. "Honey, do you want to go to Norwalk or Manhattan today?". That was a poor example. . there are upscale shopping which they go to in Fairfield. It won't be comparable to a day of shopping in NYC. And let's face it , any " upscale" shopper won't be coming from Norwalk so maybe its in the wrong spot.. That would go well in Ridgefield , Wilton, Danbury vicinity.

And once again I call BS on all that " good for city" talk. How is Westport doing without a Mall? How about all those other cities in CT?. Are they going bankrupt because they don't have one? Give me a break.. This isn't needed in an already congested area. How about providing oxygen to residents and create a park with trees & trails instead? Lol

I tell you, the mentality is so different in southern part of state. I was driving through these towns and villiages in northern Litchfield last Saturday and it just felt great. No office buildings, no malls, and the stores themselves looked like homes. Residents and city doing just fine. paying their taxes and living life. No need for these "concrete farms" there.

Old 08-07-2015, 12:08 PM

14,045 posts, read 13,917,236 times
If things are on track it coming in Early 2018

NORWALK — The chairman of the Common Council’s Planning Committee on Thursday evening vowed to work through concurrently — rather than split — key reviews and approvals related to General Growth Properties’ (GGP) proposed mall for the 95/7 site in South Norwalk.
The Chicago-based mall developer has proposed 700,000 square feet of retail space, as well as other uses, for the last dozen acres of the city’s Reed Putnam Urban Renewal Plan area off West Avenue and Interstate 95.

Overall, GGP has proposed 700,000 square feet of retail development, including anchor tenants Nordstrom and Bloomingdale’s and 80 to 100 smaller retailers, 180,000 square feet of public common area, 50,000 square feet of national chain restaurants, a 150-room boutique hotel, education space, two exterior public plazas and two interior courts for public events.

Farmers markets, cultural performances, bicycle facilities, youth activities, public art and concerts, dance recitals and holiday activities are among the potential uses of the public realm space, according to information submitted by GGP as part of the revised Conceptual Master Site Plan for the mall.

http://www.thehour.com/news/norwalk/...b744c7744.html

Old 08-08-2015, 04:12 PM

10,058 posts, read 14,929,390 times
Did they change the render?

Old 08-08-2015, 05:46 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,309,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Did they change the render?
I was thinking the same thing. I hope the building on the right (pictured in the rendering above) is tall enough where it'd be cool to see from the highway. I can't wait to see the final details.

Old 08-08-2015, 07:12 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times
I have to agree with Jay in that there is surprisingly little upscale shopping for an area with a decent amount of wealth. If you look at Santa Ana, CA (Orange County) or even wealthier Boston suburbs or even Houston (Belaire) there is much more upscale shopping.

I am not arguing that it fits the character of Norwalk, or was the best use of the property, but I do think there is pent-up demand for this type of shopping center.

We're moving to the other side of the state, but, will likely give it a visit.

Old 08-09-2015, 07:26 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,178,118 times
They should put a Chelsea Piers type place in there instead of another lame and cheesy Cheesecake Factory mall abomination like Danbury and the one in Bridgebull.
Either way, I'll believe it when I see it, as far as anything getting done there.

Old 08-09-2015, 08:16 PM

10,058 posts, read 14,929,390 times
There's a Chelsea Piers in Stamford. Does it makes economic sense to put another one so close?

Old 08-10-2015, 08:41 AM

1,440 posts, read 1,238,727 times
FYI--

There is a Nordstrom Rack going into the WayPointe district (I'm friends with one of the developers, the lease was just signed a few weeks ago.) They are looking to put in a DSW and an upscale Lucky Strike type bowling alley (along with the upscale movie theatre that is going in.) So, all of that will be about a half a mile (4 blocks!) from the new shopping center.

Old 08-10-2015, 09:16 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,178,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
There's a Chelsea Piers in Stamford. Does it makes economic sense to put another one so close?
Mentioned Chelsea "type" of place, not literally another CP. Maybe recreation oriented place with aquatics, community pool or something. Some green space like that Cambium guy says, don't know. Though I think upscale shopping would do well there, it can do without the lamo chain restaurants, let Danbury and Milford have those. You just know Cheesecake and Buffalo Wild Wings probably have their greasy paws all over the blueprints right now. End of the day, I think it will remain a pile of dirt for the next 30 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut