Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2018, 07:01 PM

14,045 posts, read 13,917,236 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2018, 07:35 PM

2,941 posts, read 1,783,175 times
seems a little small for a mall...?

Old 04-01-2018, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMagliola View Post
seems a little small for a mall...?
It going be slightly smaller than Stamford Mall

700,000 Square footage

The SoNo Collection is a proposed mixed-use development that includes:

Full Line Nordstrom and Bloomingdale’s stores (300,000+/- SF in total)
80-100 small shop inline retailers (350,000+/- SF)
Large public common area (180,000+/- SF)
Curated selection of food and beverage uses (Up to 6% of GLA)
Over 87,000 square feet of Public Realm including indoor/outdoor sculpture
garden, rooftop SoNo garden, exterior public plazas, enhanced West Avenue
streetscape, potential museum and education space, and three interior courts

https://ggpnorwalk.com/

Old 04-05-2018, 12:17 PM

"The City anticipates that the project will continue uninterrupted and we look forward to an opening on the scheduled October 2019 target date. We do not believe the language in the Land Disposition Agreement (“LDA”) prohibits the sale of publicly traded GGP stock.”

https://www.thehour.com/news/article...m-85307-tbla-5

Old 04-05-2018, 03:46 PM

10,055 posts, read 14,418,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepfordct View Post
There are too many malls. GGP, the owners of the Norwalk property don't care about Stamford, Danbury etc as they don't own them. Closest one they have believe is in Waterbury. Which is far from great and not effected by this new location. Between the Amazon effect and CT's lackluster economy, there will be casualties.
Malls need to reinvent themselves beyond retail everywhere.
GGP almost went under about 10 yrs ago. The sons who took over gambled big on some properties in Vegas and had a big cash flow issue. Fitting town for that.
This will probably drive the Stamford mall out of business, as well as the one outside of Bridgeport's northern suburbs, as well as other potential stores in Greenwich, CT that cater to higher-end. I know higher end/luxury is doing much better overall than regular retail, but at the same time, a "mall concept" is risky in this retail environment.

I thought Fairfield County had a huge share of retail, as-is. Granted, it is one of the wealthiest counties in the United States, but it can only absorb so much more.

Curious to see how this development pans out and hoping it is a success.

Old 04-05-2018, 09:17 PM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
This will probably drive the Stamford mall out of business, as well as the one outside of Bridgeport's northern suburbs, as well as other potential stores in Greenwich, CT that cater to higher-end. I know higher end/luxury is doing much better overall than regular retail, but at the same time, a "mall concept" is risky in this retail environment.

I thought Fairfield County had a huge share of retail, as-is. Granted, it is one of the wealthiest counties in the United States, but it can only absorb so much more.

This mall will serve different clientele than the malls in Stamford and Trumbull. Those serve the middle class while this is designed to serve the more affluent shopper that now goes to Westchester or Manhattan to shop. It is unlikely to have a significant impact on the other malls.

You are right that it is extremely unusual to be building a mall with the current condition of retail these days. Brick and mortar stores are closing left and right but this segment of retail is still doing decent. Plus Nordstrom knows it’s Westchester Store gets a lot of Fairfield County shopper and they are confident the market is there. They will also likely get some shoppers from New Haven County that travel up to their Westfarms Mall Store. Will see. Jay

Old 04-06-2018, 06:44 AM

4,449 posts, read 3,342,293 times
Quote:
I believe you are referring to the Trumbull mall. The Trumbull Mall (Westfield Mall) is geared toward the middle class. The only really high end store is Lord & Taylor so I think the Trumbull Mall will be fine. My sister-in-law (that lived in Stamford) used to drive to the Trumbull Mall because it had more moderately priced stores. I know quite a few people that do that.

Old 04-06-2018, 07:30 AM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
This mall will serve different clientele than the malls in Stamford and Trumbull. Those serve the middle class while this is designed to serve the more affluent shopper that now goes to Westchester or Manhattan to shop. It is unlikely to have a significant impact on the other malls.

You are right that it is extremely unusual to be building a mall with the current condition of retail these days. Brick and mortar stores are closing left and right but this segment of retail is still doing decent. Plus Nordstrom knows it’s Westchester Store gets a lot of Fairfield County shopper and they are confident the market is there. They will also likely get some shoppers from New Haven County that travel up to their Westfarms Mall Store. Will see. Jay
Doesn’t the affluent shopper go to one of the many upscale downtowns in the area like Westport or Greenwich? Malls are so passé.

I still can’t fathom the need for this mall, with malls in decline. And can see it hurting downtowns.

Old 04-06-2018, 08:40 AM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Doesn’t the affluent shopper go to one of the many upscale downtowns in the area like Westport or Greenwich? Malls are so passé.

I still can’t fathom the need for this mall, with malls in decline. And can see it hurting downtowns.
They do but not entirely. Like I said, Nordstroms knows where its customers are located and I am sure they would not be going to Norwalk without knowing for certain there is a strong market for a store there. For years they wanted to build a store in the New Haven area because a lot of their Westfarms Mall customers were coming from towns like Madison, Guilford, Woodbridge and Orange. The problem was that there is no upscale shopping center/mall in the area that they could build a store in and they do not tend to build free-standing stores just anywhere. For a while they were very interested in a mixed use center that was proposed for the old Pratt & Whitney site in North Haven. That project lost its funding in the financial crisis and was canceled when the state decided not to locate a station there on the New Haven-Hartford-Springfield line. The site now is where Amazon is building their massive new warehouse. Jay

Old 04-06-2018, 12:32 PM

830 posts, read 1,092,192 times
Quote:

Doubt it- those malls are completely different customers. Greenwich did a study a few years ago that revealed a majority of the high-end shoppers live in Greenwich itself or Westchester NY. I can see it hitting Westport more due to proximity and because Westport downtown is made up mostly of mall-type stores that have a similar demographic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut