Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 03:02 PM

11,307 posts, read 18,909,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth21 View Post
The City of New Haven continues to set the bar lower and lower when it comes to snow removal. New mayor in City Hall and this stuff is worse than ever.

This afternoon a WEEK long parking ban was issued for the odd site of streets in New Haven. Sunday to Sunday.

Weeklong Parking Ban Declared | New Haven Independent

So instead of taking the seemingly no-brainer route of issuing a pre-storm ban and letting the snow be cleared in a 24-hour period during and just after the storm, there's now a full week-long ban to get everything cleared. Such stellar incompetence.
How does one get out the cars already there, LOL!

Old 02-14-2014, 03:24 PM

2,062 posts, read 3,965,261 times
We were supposed to stop getting snow around lunch today and it's still coming down...though this might be some kind of mountain effect, not sure. *we being in north central Vermont.

Old 02-14-2014, 03:59 PM

83,550 posts, read 75,428,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grecostimpy View Post
Got up on the roof this morning and spent 5 hours cleaning it off completely. Here's the before and after.

Nice pics! Yeah this snow reminds us of where we live. How did you stay on the roof without slipping? Were you tied with a rope somewhere? Must feel good knowing that you did 3 things. Less weight on roof. No ice dams. Letting the sun help your heating bills by hitting the shingles now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkln View Post
We were supposed to stop getting snow around lunch today and it's still coming down...though this might be some kind of mountain effect, not sure. *we being in north central Vermont.
Might be orographic lifting from the mountains.

Old 02-14-2014, 04:03 PM

83,550 posts, read 75,428,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Wow, east of CT (i.e. RI, Boston area) tomorrow might be another 6-10" whopper! Winter Storm Warning posted for all of RI and most of Boston metro:

National Weather Service Watch Warning Advisory Summary

Also hurricane force winds offshore of Cape Cod Saturday night:

National Weather Service Watch Warning Advisory Summary
Yeah... pretty crazy I turn my back on the models and now see another strong coastal storm. Euro has a 988mb low at benchmark. Pretty nuts. Little too late for us to get the big stuff.

I think we'll see widespread 2-4" with New London county maybe up to 6" in spots.

Old 02-14-2014, 04:19 PM

14,058 posts, read 13,962,553 times
Eastern edge of Fairfield County could hit the 3"-4" spot and as Well New Haven County county, New London getting up to 6" If u in Rhode Island and Cape Code area you getting up to 8-10" with blizzard conditions

Last edited by BPt111; 02-14-2014 at 05:10 PM..

Old 02-14-2014, 05:02 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,875,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmdealerguy View Post
Essy ride on the parkway this morning, some slippery spots but nothing major.
Yep. The parkway was great, except for an ice ridge in the middle of the right lane through the no exit zone.

Old 02-14-2014, 06:12 PM

302 posts, read 296,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Nice pics! Yeah this snow reminds us of where we live. How did you stay on the roof without slipping? Were you tied with a rope somewhere? Must feel good knowing that you did 3 things. Less weight on roof. No ice dams. Letting the sun help your heating bills by hitting the shingles now.
I felt pretty damn good when I was done (I don't know as all the aches and pains set in). I didn't use a rope (I know...I know), the slope is not that bad (raised ranch) and was surprisingly not slippery. I just took my time, being very careful. The sun was so strong today, by the time I moved down 12 feet, the snow chunks in the previous section I had shoveled was almost done melting. By the time I was done, the parts that were in the sun were completely dry (half of my house is eternally in shade from these monster 100+ft trees I have).

Old 02-14-2014, 09:18 PM

679 posts, read 1,191,827 times
Snow Totals Map for Feb 13th Storm:

©Danbury/Naugatuck WX

Old 02-15-2014, 12:52 PM

14,058 posts, read 13,962,553 times
New Snownfall coming Tuesday

There will be no rest for the snow weary from the Midwest to East Coast as yet another quick moving system threatens to lay down a swath of several inches of snow from Minnesota to Massachusetts Sunday night through Tuesday.
An onslaught of winter storms has buried much of the Northeast over the past few weeks. While this upcoming storm is not expected to be a historic event, it can snarl travel, resulting in more flight delays in a winter full of them already.

The Northeast will feel the impacts of the storm Monday night and Tuesday. Shovels and plows will be needed again in many areas.
Flight delays are anticipated for many major hubs including Chicago, Ill., Detroit, Mich., and the three major airports around New York City.

Old 02-15-2014, 02:42 PM

11,307 posts, read 18,909,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
New Snownfall coming Tuesday

There will be no rest for the snow weary from the Midwest to East Coast as yet another quick moving system threatens to lay down a swath of several inches of snow from Minnesota to Massachusetts Sunday night through Tuesday.
An onslaught of winter storms has buried much of the Northeast over the past few weeks. While this upcoming storm is not expected to be a historic event, it can snarl travel, resulting in more flight delays in a winter full of them already.

The Northeast will feel the impacts of the storm Monday night and Tuesday. Shovels and plows will be needed again in many areas.
Flight delays are anticipated for many major hubs including Chicago, Ill., Detroit, Mich., and the three major airports around New York City.

I repeated this in the general weather forum, but this is what NWS Upton (i.e. NYC office, in CT it covers Fairfield, New Haven, Middlesex and New London Counties) has to say about it in their 4pm discussion:

NEXT PRECIP EVENTS ARE LATE MONDAY NIGHT THROUGH TUESDAY...MOSTLY SNOW...ENDING AS RAIN ALONG THE COAST. CONFIDENCE IS LOW BUT THERE IS POTENTIAL FOR 2 TO 5 INCHES OF ACCUMULATION WITH THIS SYSTEM. A LOT CAN CHANGE OVER THE NEXT FEW FORECAST RUNS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut