Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2014, 06:49 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
Leaves are down. Bring on the snow!
Most of mine are down - but I have this one [massive] Oak that's just now turning from green to yellow, with all of the leaves still on it. Every week when I blow the leaves I mutter a few choice words under my breath at it.

Old 11-11-2014, 07:04 PM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times
80% of my leaves down. Japanese Maple. Oaks and 1 Giant maple that takes so much energy to change it changes with late with the oaks.

----------------

I have to keep looking at the Calendar.

NWS NY Talking about Polar Lows. Highs in the 30s. Unusual precip event with Light Snow. "Next" shot of Arctic air.... Is this January??

Maybe an inch of snow north of Merritt Friday morning. This cold air could be relentless. Cold this weekend then BOOM maybe even colder again next week

Old 11-12-2014, 04:51 AM

From NWS Boston for northern CT and MA.

The good news: Polar Jet and Polar Fronts.
The bad news: With Polar air comes really dry air.
The good news: A more potent system with the 2nd polar wave Sunday night

(or some might reverse the good/bad part, lol) Last line by NWS says it all for Friday morning.

ENSEMBLES AND DETERMINISTIC GUIDANCE CONTINUE THE THEME OF A SUPPRESSED POLAR JET DELIVERING A COLDER THAN NORMAL REGIME ACROSS SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND BEGINNING THIS THU AND CONTINUING INTO MUCH OF NEXT WEEK. TWO POLAR FRONTS CROSS THE REGION DURING THIS TIME WITH A WEAK FRONTAL WAVE POSSIBLY YIELDING A PERIOD OF LIGHT SNOW OR FLURRIES THU NGT INTO EARLY FRI. THEN A MORE SIGNIFICANT PRECIP EVENT IS LIKELY LATE SUN INTO MON WHEN A MORE POTENT FRONTAL WAVE DEVELOPS ALONG THE SECOND POLAR FRONT.

CLOSER INSPECTION OF THE GFS BUFKIT REVEALS LOW LEVELS MAY REMAIN TOO DRY FOR ANY SNOW TO REACH THE GROUND EXCEPT ALONG THE SOUTH COAST INCLUDING CAPE COD AND THE ISLANDS WHERE LOW LEVEL MOISTURE INCREASES.

925 AND 950 MB TEMPS ARE SHOWN TO BE BELOW 0C WITH SOUNDINGS PROFILES WELL BELOW FREEZING ABOVE THESE LAYERS. BOUNDARY LAYER MAY BE WARM ENOUGH ON THE COASTAL PLAIN FOR RAIN SHOWERS INITIALLY...BUT EVEN HERE ANY LINGERING PRECIP WOULD BE CHANGING TO SNOW SHOWERS. THE BIGGER QUESTION IS HOW MANY LOCATIONS ACTUALLY SEE A BRIEF OF PRECIPITATION. IT IS POSSIBLE THAT A FEW NEIGHBORHOODS END UP WITH THEIR FIRST COATING OF SNOW BY FRI MORNING...BUT THIS DOES NOT LOOK LIKE A BIG EVENT.

With snow, there will be winners and there will be losers.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:11 AM

1,063 posts, read 1,363,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
Me too!! I don't see how anyone can really think that the overall climate is better here than it is in North or South Carolina.

Sure.......I can understand not wanting to live in Florida with the relentless H&H, but it seems like the Carolinas are MUCH better climate wise than CT. Little to no snow, 4 seasons, pleasantly cool/occasionally cold in winter, and only too H & H for maybe 2 months.

It cracks me up that some people here talk about the "charm" (whatever thats supposed to mean) in CT. Yea.......when I'm scraping the ice off my car and shoveling a foot or more of snow......uhhh......yea, the charm in CT

At least in Maine they have kick butt snowmobiling as late as early April, compared to not a damn thing here other than traffic and crazy drivers who have not a clue what they are doing when white stuff falls.

I'm envious of Cambium's tolerance for cold wx

Aren't you the guy that did the camping out in the dead of winter? I'd say you have a pretty high tolerance!

I dunno, I don't mind 4 seasons. I just mind bitterly cold and snowy winters back to back. Once every couple is fine.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csiko View Post
Aren't you the guy that did the camping out in the dead of winter? I'd say you have a pretty high tolerance!
lol, exactly. Forgot about that. I'm all up for challenges but there's no way I would go to the equator in the summer. lol. But for a warm lover to do what he did either he just had to experience it once in his lifetime or his compass just flew him the wrong direction. LOL

Old 11-12-2014, 09:15 AM

Animation of the latest GFS12z for Precip type. Thurs 7pm to Friday 10am every 3 hrs.

All "Light" stuff which means just flakes for some, just dusting for some, not reaching the ground for some. Reds are freezing drizzle. Light as well.

Looks like snow starts flying in CT after 7pm tomorrow. So figure overnight there will be scattered snow around, rain for coast until the morning when it could drop as snow.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:24 AM

6,125 posts, read 5,098,910 times
That's wild, Cam. Not that this sounds like a big deal, but considering how spring like yesterday & today have been, seeing ANY snowflakes tomorrow will be strange.

Old 11-12-2014, 10:40 AM

1,344 posts, read 1,743,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Csiko View Post

I dunno, I don't mind 4 seasons. I just mind bitterly cold and snowy winters back to back. Once every couple is fine.
Yes, I am that one! That was more for bragging rights for a few nights, that having the PITA of dealing with in for months straight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
lol, exactly. Forgot about that. I'm all up for challenges but there's no way I would go to the equator in the summer. lol. But for a warm lover to do what he did either he just had to experience it once in his lifetime or his compass just flew him the wrong direction. LOL
I think you are onto something Cambium. The word counter-phobic comes to mind when I pushed my limits like that.

I might be camping in the far out islands of the Bahamas in 2016 (NE tip of Great Inagua---Check out the attached map).

Its not because I want to, but because it'll be a necessary since the nearest accomodations are 14 hours away! Yes, you read that right 14 hrs!! An 8 hour (13 mile) walk from the nearest road, and then another 6 hr drive (60 miles) on an overgrown road!!

That will at least be in early May rather than July, so at least the H&H will be somewhat manageable, but I'll still by carrying 50 lbs on my back, mostly freshwater of course!

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE WHAT I WILL PUT UP WITH TO GET TO A REMOTE AND PRISTINE TROPICAL BEACH!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Weather in Connecticut-great-inagua-google-earth-map.png  

Old 11-12-2014, 10:41 AM

1,344 posts, read 1,743,517 times
Back on topic, do you think Cambium that having the cold blasts now will get them out of the way and give us above normal temps for the brunt of winter in Jan and Feb?

Old 11-12-2014, 11:08 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
Coating to 1 inches this Friday and Monday is something to watch Wintery Mix with snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut