Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2023, 09:30 AM

21,758 posts, read 28,094,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHW2436 View Post
An hour for 4 miles is a little dramatic. I would love to know what the starting and ending addresses are where that’s actually the case.

I know people who live in Quincy and Waltham and commute to Downtown Boston financial district and it doesn’t take them an hour. I find it really hard to believe it takes someone an hour to go 4 miles unless they are a 10-15 min walk from public transit on either side of using the transportation.
I don't know about Boston, but it can easily take an hour to go 4 miles in NYC. And NYC has more robust public transportation.

Old 02-15-2023, 04:49 AM

7,925 posts, read 7,818,729 times
It looks like Stone Academy is closing their locations. This is not based on a financial aspect but rather qualifications. From what I understand is that the nursing testing was known where near the results that it should be to call itself more of a nursing or medical school. I'm not sure what they're going to do in terms of the Redevelopment of the locations but it could be interesting.

And it also appears that Subway Sandwich Company is possibly going to be up for sale. This is getting to be a little bit weird because given what Lego happened where they say one thing one year and then it changes in less than another year. I can understand moving some things to Florida but I thought they were going to go to Fairfield County. If they sell themselves off half of it belongs to a charity anyway so what are they planning exactly?

Old 02-15-2023, 10:09 AM

21,758 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
It looks like Stone Academy is closing their locations. This is not based on a financial aspect but rather qualifications. From what I understand is that the nursing testing was known where near the results that it should be to call itself more of a nursing or medical school. I'm not sure what they're going to do in terms of the Redevelopment of the locations but it could be interesting.

And it also appears that Subway Sandwich Company is possibly going to be up for sale. This is getting to be a little bit weird because given what Lego happened where they say one thing one year and then it changes in less than another year. I can understand moving some things to Florida but I thought they were going to go to Fairfield County. If they sell themselves off half of it belongs to a charity anyway so what are they planning exactly?
AFAIK Subway is already building out the Shelton space.

Old 02-15-2023, 12:19 PM

9,882 posts, read 7,212,572 times
If Subway is sold, the foundation will walk away with half of the proceeds and continue its work.

Old 02-15-2023, 12:21 PM

21,637 posts, read 12,785,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
People seem to forget how truly difficult it can be to live in Boston. I have two close young family members there and they are more than ready to give it up and leave.

One commutes by public transit to a job 4 miles from his home. It takes him an hour. He’d bike into the office but showering and changing rooms there are overcrowded and difficult to use. Covid gave him the chance to work from home and now he’s ready to move as far away as he can. The only thing keeping him there is his Significant Other who is in the medical service industry and is still building her career there. If she can find a decent job somewhere else, they will be out of there.

The other family member had a baby over a year ago. Before she got pregnant she started researching daycare. As soon as she found out she was pregnant she registered for daycare at multiple daycares near their home and offices. The waiting lists were incredibly long and none would give them any guarantees of placement times.

She had the baby and stayed home with her for eight weeks but none of the daycares had openings yet. They had to have her mother in law come live with them for six months. Then she and her husband had to demand to work from home and coordinate their work schedules around the child with her mother coming up two days a week to help. That went on for five months. They just got into one of the daycares a couple weeks ago. That means it took them nearly two years to get daycare. They want a second child and are ready to walk away from Boston permanently if they have to go through that again. Jay
Yes. No one ever said living in Boston was easy.

In Middle and High School to go from one residential neighborhood (10 miles form downtown), to another- it took me 1 hr 1 minute to get to school on public transit...- on a great day. My school was 2.67 miles away from my home

God forbid the bus was late or out of service..And IRL this is not accurate. When I was in HS the bus routes hadn't been redone and this trip was more like 70 minutes(on a good day) than 60 minutes.

But overall its desirable. I wouldn't trade having free access to sailing in the harbor, museums, going to the Common and Downtown Crossing whenever I wanted, all the free concerts, free meals, freedom not to need a parent-chaffeur, or access to the beach via the subway just to have a shorter commute to High School. Id imagine many of people (even ones with kids) feel the same. Its certainly not for everyone.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 02-15-2023 at 12:30 PM..

Old 02-16-2023, 07:55 AM

12,169 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Yes. No one ever said living in Boston was easy.

In Middle and High School to go from one residential neighborhood (10 miles form downtown), to another- it took me 1 hr 1 minute to get to school on public transit...- on a great day. My school was 2.67 miles away from my home

God forbid the bus was late or out of service..And IRL this is not accurate. When I was in HS the bus routes hadn't been redone and this trip was more like 70 minutes(on a good day) than 60 minutes.

But overall its desirable. I wouldn't trade having free access to sailing in the harbor, museums, going to the Common and Downtown Crossing whenever I wanted, all the free concerts, free meals, freedom not to need a parent-chaffeur, or access to the beach via the subway just to have a shorter commute to High School. Id imagine many of people (even ones with kids) feel the same. Its certainly not for everyone.
Yeah it isnt easy.

When I went to school at a SUNY, so many kids from the Bronx went to school in Queens. Just 8 miles would take them two subway transfers and a bus ride... more than an hour for each.

People here commute upwards of 2 hours to work each way. Drive from Flemington/Brunswicks to Somerville or NB Station (10 -25 mins) ---> Take one or two (or even three) trains to Manhattan (40 - 95 mins) --> Take subway to closer POI (10-20 mins) --> Walk (2-15 mins). Even up in Bergen County you can be commuting over 80 minutes into Manhattan. Its rough.

But people won't trade it in. I get that. I would never do that commute lmao. But people love it.

Old 02-16-2023, 08:25 AM

6,913 posts, read 3,746,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Yeah it isnt easy.

When I went to school at a SUNY, so many kids from the Bronx went to school in Queens. Just 8 miles would take them two subway transfers and a bus ride... more than an hour for each.

People here commute upwards of 2 hours to work each way. Drive from Flemington/Brunswicks to Somerville or NB Station (10 -25 mins) ---> Take one or two (or even three) trains to Manhattan (40 - 95 mins) --> Take subway to closer POI (10-20 mins) --> Walk (2-15 mins). Even up in Bergen County you can be commuting over 80 minutes into Manhattan. Its rough.

But people won't trade it in. I get that. I would never do that commute lmao. But people love it.
If you want to get paid the big bucks you have to live somehwere where it's harder to live

Old 02-16-2023, 08:38 AM

12,169 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
If you want to get paid the big bucks you have to live somehwere where it's harder to live
not necessarily. You could pay the same and live in an area with a significant less commute. Some people just love huge yards or living in a certain area.

Old 02-17-2023, 11:26 AM

1,853 posts, read 1,956,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
not necessarily. You could pay the same and live in an area with a significant less commute. Some people just love huge yards or living in a certain area.
I think you misread his post, he was referring to getting paid big bucks as in the salary/income not housing.

I'm huge booster of CT, it's a terrific state with an excellent quality of life, however it's location being wedged between Boston and New York definitely impacts it's standing in the Northeast. NYC and Boston are economic engines with incredibly strong economic and cultural influences. If CT had been in a different region of the country it would be a shining star rather than being overshadowed by the two larger metro areas.

Old 02-22-2023, 07:59 PM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
High tech manufacturer Mott Corporation of Farmington is expanding by opening a new 65,000 square foot facility and adding 100 employees. Great news. Jay

https://www.courant.com/news/connect...ivi-story.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut