Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2018, 02:47 PM

34,062 posts, read 17,081,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottamemnon View Post
TN also has lots of open space, which is one of the big reasons why the south is growing so much. Those mega factories and distribution centers cannot be built as easily up north.

True. low land costs, low taxes, low utilities = lots of opportunities in Tn and rest of Southeast. Hence, they have terrific state GDP growth.

However, that in no way excuses Ct's business climate issues it could control regarding mfg, specifically by controlling gov't cost to avoid tax increases, and by staying competitive regarding all other forms of business taxes.

We rank in the bottom 20% in Business Climate. That is 100% unacceptable.

Old 01-19-2018, 02:50 PM

34,062 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Please do not discuss the Amazon HQ shortlist here. There is already a separate thread going that discusses this topic. JayCT, Moderator

But that has been closed.

Is there another Ct one I failed to notice?

Old 01-19-2018, 03:42 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,457,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Why CT spending so much ?
What we are spending on ?
Mostly debt. We spent to much money and financed it all. Since then we keep refinancing it. Basically imagine you had a credit card and you keep refinancing it or moving the balance to other cards to avoid the interest. CT has basically done that for 40 years. In fact the last budget to some extent did it again. They basically need to keep all the taxes we have and cut spending and maybe in 10-12 years we could talk about tax cuts.

Old 01-19-2018, 04:04 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,457,005 times
Quote:
That no toll road thing is a biggie. The south has some GREAT roads... but they are almost all toll roads. Tolls that never seem to go away, even when the bonds are paid off. That is because they let private companies build roads and then get the right to put tolls on it forever.. they are not controlled by the government instead.

Look at Dallas for an example of a toll system gone mad. To live in those great suburbs, you often need to take these toll roads, which adds quite a bit to your monthly budget. Of course they have no income tax which offsets it, but the amount it offsets seems to be shrinking each year as more fees, tolls, and property tax increases hit.

This is saying a lot, because I have been a bit of a Texas cheerleader in the past, but its starting to show some major flaws in the affordability side.
Yeah TX seems to be a bit like NH adding fees etc in place of taxes and some counties have gone a bit crazy on property tax according to some friends that live there. When I was in Dallas for work a few months ago, I was a bit shocked with how many toll charges showed up on my rental bill including one road I couldn't believe was a toll road (it seemed almost like a cross between a BLVD and a HWY) but yep it did indeed.

Old 01-19-2018, 05:19 PM

1,241 posts, read 903,564 times
Outside of Texas, Florida and Virginia near DC what southern states are “all toll roads?”

Quote:
That no toll road thing is a biggie. The south has some GREAT roads... but they are almost all toll roads. Tolls that never seem to go away, even when the bonds are paid off. That is because they let private companies build roads and then get the right to put tolls on it forever.. they are not controlled by the government instead.

Look at Dallas for an example of a toll system gone mad. To live in those great suburbs, you often need to take these toll roads, which adds quite a bit to your monthly budget. Of course they have no income tax which offsets it, but the amount it offsets seems to be shrinking each year as more fees, tolls, and property tax increases hit.

This is saying a lot, because I have been a bit of a Texas cheerleader in the past, but its starting to show some major flaws in the affordability side.

Old 01-19-2018, 07:42 PM

34,942 posts, read 56,970,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
But that has been closed.

Is there another Ct one I failed to notice?
The Amazon thread went off topic for the Connecticut forum. Posters were talking at length about other cities and states. I believe there are other forums discussing this topic. I would suggest checking the Business or City verses City forums. I will now allow discussion of Connecticut’s submission for Amazons headquarters but I cannot allow discussion of other states. JayCT, Moderator

Old 01-20-2018, 06:50 AM

4,456 posts, read 3,351,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMPA View Post

The fact is, the cost to live there isn't worth it to some.
But to people who want to live in a safer more highly educated state the cost is worth it.

Difference in philosophy middle Tennessee. I picked TN for comparison because YOUR from TN but you can exchange any one of the low tax southern states for TN.

Part of the high CT taxes are local property taxes because a GOOD education costs money. But look at what you get for your money below. So people who value education for their children live here and MOVE here from other states. I had a neighbor who moved here from the south. I asked her if she came here because of a job. She said "no, the schools are better, I will find a job".

These states have the most people with college degrees.
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...states?slide=8

CT is #3 (#4 on list below)
TN is #43
https://www.forbes.com/sites/karsten.../#1ba46b9971be

So TN is you are happy living in a state* that is poorly educated but booming with low wage jobs more power too you. TN is booming because people are moving in because they all want to pay little to nothing for local property/education taxes. Good luck with that in the future as the jobs become more and more STEM jobs that are college dependent.

*Like all of the other low tax Republican states that make up the bottom 10 for education/college attainment.

Old 01-20-2018, 07:49 AM

413 posts, read 317,752 times
Connecticut may provide a good education. But all those well educated young people leave the state almost the moment they graduate and go to places they can make money with lots of jobs. Places like Tennessee.

Connecticut can not keep young well educated people in the state. They leave as soon as they can.

Old 01-20-2018, 08:00 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,946,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbeer View Post
Connecticut may provide a good education. But all those well educated young people leave the state almost the moment they graduate and go to places they can make money with lots of jobs. Places like Tennessee.

Connecticut can not keep young well educated people in the state. They leave as soon as they can.
CT need more jobs

Old 01-20-2018, 08:02 AM

4,456 posts, read 3,351,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbeer View Post

These stats say the contrary. How do you account for are very high incomes. I already posted right in this thread Connecticut is in the top 5 for educational attainment while TN is in the bottom 10.

Median HH Income 2010 and 2016
https://www.census.gov/prod/2012pubs/acsbr11-02.pdf
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...tates-by-state

#1 MD $70,976...........#1 NH $76,260
#2 NJ $69,829...........#2 CT $75,923 (HH income grew over $10,000 in 6 years)
#3 AK $66,311...........#3 AK $75,723
#4 CT $65,883...........#4 MD $73,760
#5 HI $65,191...........#5 MA $72,266

Millionaires Per Capita (in 2016)
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/02/16/thes...er-capita.html

1. Maryland – 7.55 percent
2. Connecticut – 7.4 percent

Last edited by CTartist; 01-20-2018 at 08:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut