Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2017, 03:49 PM

10,094 posts, read 14,965,663 times

Advertisements

As far as Connecticut is concerned, the best area for Amazon is the Stamford-Norwalk area. Stamford probably has more office space available (I'm thinking of the old UBS headquarters and the old Pitney Bowes headquarters.) If I was Dan Malloy, I would try to sweeten the pot to make it easy for Amazon to pick Connecticut as the place for its next headquarters.

Old 09-07-2017, 04:06 PM

21,756 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
As far as Connecticut is concerned, the best area for Amazon is the Stamford-Norwalk area. Stamford probably has more office space available (I'm thinking of the old UBS headquarters and the old Pitney Bowes headquarters.) If I was Dan Malloy, I would try to sweeten the pot to make it easy for Amazon to pick Connecticut as the place for its next headquarters.
You're correct, but he's team Hartford for this one. Another example of his ineptitude. I'd say there's roughly a .001% chance of them choosing Hartford.

Old 09-07-2017, 07:16 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
This is massive. I doubt there are many sites anywhere in the country that would fully meet this. They initially want 500,000 square feet that is already built or approved and ready to go to construction. Not many cities have that kind of space lying around waiting for a tenant. Also, they are looking for it to be as much as 100 acres in an pedestrian-friendly environment but again not many cities have that.
Southeast has the 100 acre lots. Just look at those who finished 2nd or lower for VW (Chattanooga). Specs for auto mfg are also huge acreage, as suppliers need room on site.

My hunch is this will end up in the Southeast.

Old 09-07-2017, 07:20 PM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Southeast has the 100 acre lots. Just look at those who finished 2nd or lower for VW (Chattanooga). Specs for auto mfg are also huge acreage, as suppliers need room on site.

My hunch is this will end up in the Southeast.
But those large acre plots are out in the middle of nowhere. Amazon wants to be in a city environment with public transit, walkable housing/dining/shopping, and research universities.

Old 09-07-2017, 07:46 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
But those large acre plots are out in the middle of nowhere. Amazon wants to be in a city environment with public transit, walkable housing/dining/shopping, and research universities.

Not all are. Those certified as auto finalists have to be near major highways, and several are near large MTSAs.

Old 09-07-2017, 08:42 PM

2,001 posts, read 1,865,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post

As for CT, New Haven would make so much sense. Lots of available land, an airport that could handle some nerd bird flights, Yale reputation, Metro North, close to 1 million in the metro area.
New haven couldn't house 50k workers right now. More People are moving out than in. Tweed airport is too small. Volvo hq was suppose to move to sc but the only reason it didn't because of the lack of one way flights to the cities it travels to more. Something was said that they shouldn't have to worry about flying to 2 different airports. They have more things to worry about . I can see it going to the south to a city like Charlotte, Atlanta, Raleigh, Dallas or ect

Old 09-07-2017, 09:48 PM

570 posts, read 477,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Truth. I thought the same time thing. That UBS building is the perfect Amazon HQ but ultimately it won't happen. Apparently, RBS has a new tenant - BofA DR, no employees. What a weird choice for taking over a giant trading floor. Money is money though.

Old 09-08-2017, 05:33 AM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Not all are. Those certified as auto finalists have to be near major highways, and several are near large MTSAs.
But they don't have on site direct access to mass transit. IMHO, Amazon isn't going to consider a site that doesn't have the capability to have mass transit to the location.

Old 09-08-2017, 06:43 AM

504 posts, read 384,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
You're correct, but he's team Hartford for this one. Another example of his ineptitude. I'd say there's roughly a .001% chance of them choosing Hartford.
Well anything is possible? Forever property tax credits, state subsidies that don't have to be paid back, state builds the new headquarters on taxpayers dime, and exempt from any income and corp taxes. With that criteria I think Hartford would have a great shot!

Old 09-08-2017, 07:25 AM

1,929 posts, read 2,040,154 times
I'd be fairly surprised if they don't HQ in the northeast or mid Atlantic. I suppose they could do a Pittsburgh or Columbus OH, but they are facing an up hill battle getting tech workers to want to live in Ohio. I really think the term business friendly climate is more nuanced than it sounds. At any rate, if they are in metro NY, CT will likely benefit in some way.

The lack of direct flights into Bradley checks Hartford off the list. I travel further to LGA to avoid the connecting flight garbage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut