Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2021, 10:37 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I’m not advocating anything - not sure how you came to the conclusion that I was. I’m just noting that the money likely will not be pumped back into our local economy the way it would if Americans were hired to fill the position.
Your comment did not question this so it is natural to assume you advocate it.

You do not know how much of the money paid to these workers will go out of the country. One of our best friends were foreigners working here and they sent ZERO out of the country. They own multiple properties here (a home for themselves and several investment properties), pay their living expenses and taxes just like you and me. They are now US citizens and still send nothing overseas.

I’ve worked with a number of foreigners over the years. They all had homes, rented or owned here. They all bought groceries and had cars. They all paid taxes just like you and me. Some may have sent money overseas BUT it was certainly not a lot. It’s their choice what they do with their disposable income. That’s the free market economy we live in whether people like it or not. Jay

Old 11-02-2021, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWUser1 View Post
Jay, Think you can do better.
Before this gets deleted telling topic deviation or something, want to know - you took time to list down all the posts in your response but conveniently ignored to list my post below asking what will be your response if you or your family members are impacted by the mess that is going on? Also instead of passing a blanket statement on free market again and again and beating in the bush, what's your response on some of the concerns raised in those posts?

Don't get me wrong, I do not want that to happen to you, but just curious what will be your response on free market, if it happens?

We can have a free capitalist economy but got to be "fair". NOT the CORRUPTED one we have now where Americans losing jobs in thousands for no fault of their own but because of corrupted executives and politicians. What we have now is NOT a free market, we have a CORRUPTED/greedy market which is causing irreparable damage to Americans and especially younger generations.

Already you will not see even single digit younger American's in junior positions (developers/testers/QA/analysts etc. etc.) in any of the big American corporations IT departments or the so called Infosy's, TCS's, Wipro's of the world, so much so for their US hiring. Already destroyed. Not everyone can be Mark Zuckerberg and start companies like FB in their early 20's. Younger Americans need these jobs. Experienced Americans need to keep their jobs and cannot be on the road, doing Uber and driving their Indian/Foreign replacements to do their jobs for no fault of their own. Situation is that bad across the country whether you agree or not.
I did not answer your comment because it’s not really worthy of a response. But since you insist. You do not know me or my family and friends. I’m not sure if any were directly affected by foreigners taking a job from them but then again no one does.

I do know family and friends that have lost jobs because their jobs were sent overseas. Do I like this? Of course not but in a free market economy like ours you are stuck taking the bad with the good. Unfortunately the bad is that companies can open and close factories wherever they want. You also can’t force them to hire only US citizens either. Our country does regulate that to a point but you can’t completely forbid it. To push it that far borders on Communism and I think we can all agree that we do NOT want that. Jay

Old 11-02-2021, 11:33 AM

1,241 posts, read 902,829 times
India is the largest recipient of remittances and has been for some time. The US is the largest remittance sending country. There are billions sent back to India by NRI's from the US each year. Almost $13 billion in 2019. Someone is sending this money back. Free market economies can- and should in my opinion- restrict actions and behaviors that are detrimental to their own citizens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Your comment did not question this so it is natural to assume you advocate it.

You do not know how much of the money paid to these workers will go out of the country. One of our best friends were foreigners working here and they sent ZERO out of the country. They own multiple properties here (a home for themselves and several investment properties), pay their living expenses and taxes just like you and me. They are now US citizens and still send nothing overseas.

I’ve worked with a number of foreigners over the years. They all had homes, rented or owned here. They all bought groceries and had cars. They all paid taxes just like you and me. Some may have sent money overseas BUT it was certainly not a lot. It’s their choice what they do with their disposable income. That’s the free market economy we live in whether people like it or not. Jay

Old 11-02-2021, 11:35 AM

Let’s try to get back to the topic of the OP which is the economic climate of Connecticut. I will try to allow further discussion of foreigners taking jobs here but it should tie back to our state. JayCT, Moderator

Old 11-02-2021, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGBigGreen View Post
India is the largest recipient of remittances and has been for some time. The US is the largest remittance sending country. There are billions sent back to India by NRI's from the US each year. Almost $13 billion in 2019. Someone is sending this money back. Free market economies can- and should in my opinion- restrict actions and behaviors that are detrimental to their own citizens.
I’d like to see where you got this number from but even then, it’s not illegal so not much you can do about it.

My grandfather left my grandmother and two children back in his home country 110 years ago. He sent money back to them every month. After two years, they were able to join him here. It’s likely this is happening with some here today. What’s wrong with that? Jay

Old 11-02-2021, 11:51 AM

427 posts, read 494,540 times
Quote:
I did not answer your comment because it’s not really worthy of a response. But since you insist. You do not know me or my family and friends. I’m not sure if any were directly affected by foreigners taking a job from them but then again no one does.

I do know family and friends that have lost jobs because their jobs were sent overseas. Do I like this? Of course not but in a free market economy like ours you are stuck taking the bad with the good. Unfortunately the bad is that companies can open and close factories wherever they want. You also can’t force them to hire only US citizens either. Our country does regulate that to a point but you can’t completely forbid it. To push it that far borders on Communism and I think we can all agree that we do NOT want that. Jay
Again - closing a factory outsource the jobs to another country is completely different than the point I am highlighting. The key point is not only outsourcing but also "insourcing-bringing in hundreds of thousands of people with false credentials" or collude with executives, politicians, giving bribers and causing lay-offs of thousands of Americans in their OWN country and bringing in their own people which is rampant across the country. People are suffering for no fault of their own. Not good for the country or future generations.

Last edited by DFWUser1; 11-02-2021 at 12:26 PM..

Old 11-02-2021, 12:22 PM

1,241 posts, read 902,829 times
This site has a clean format and draws its data from the World Bank:

https://www.compareremit.com/money-t...ance-corridor/

Quote:
I’d like to see where you got this number from but even then, it’s not illegal so not much you can do about it.

My grandfather left my grandmother and two children back in his home country 110 years ago. He sent money back to them every month. After two years, they were able to join him here. It’s likely this is happening with some here today. What’s wrong with that? Jay

Old 11-02-2021, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGBigGreen View Post
This site has a clean format and draws its data from the World Bank:

https://www.compareremit.com/money-t...ance-corridor/
Thanks. Interesting but again it’s not illegal. Jay

Old 11-03-2021, 06:36 AM

4,317 posts, read 4,206,586 times
Quote:
Thanks. Interesting but again it’s not illegal. Jay
Policy first, then law. You have to restrict and protect the job market from international pressures. 95% of world's workers live in 3rd world hellholes. That's reality. So you can't open our jobs to foreigners.

It's one thing to open a factory in another country, but that's not what we are talking about. But importing and bringing foreigners in US to take over jobs from American workers? That's crazy.

Obama was partly right when we said that "businesses didn't build that!" Every business operates in an ecosystem. It is our American ecosystem -- economic, political, law, societal, education, culture, spirit, human resources, etc -- that produces such great entrepreneurship, and resultant companies that employ workers at relatively high wages.

Especially in IT, we have made great $ financial investments that sprung such great innovation and companies in the last 50 years. As taxpayers, through our elected representatives we didn't make those financial investments to throw our friends out of their jobs, and benefit members of others societies who did not contribute a dime to our ecosystem. What's fair is fair. Fairness is the lubricant that greases the wheels of a civil society like ours.

Old 11-03-2021, 08:58 AM

427 posts, read 494,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
Policy first, then law. You have to restrict and protect the job market from international pressures. 95% of world's workers live in 3rd world hellholes. That's reality. So you can't open our jobs to foreigners.

It's one thing to open a factory in another country, but that's not what we are talking about. But importing and bringing foreigners in US to take over jobs from American workers? That's crazy.

Obama was partly right when we said that "businesses didn't build that!" Every business operates in an ecosystem. It is our American ecosystem -- economic, political, law, societal, education, culture, spirit, human resources, etc -- that produces such great entrepreneurship, and resultant companies that employ workers at relatively high wages.

Especially in IT, we have made great $ financial investments that sprung such great innovation and companies in the last 50 years. As taxpayers, through our elected representatives we didn't make those financial investments to throw our friends out of their jobs, and benefit members of others societies who did not contribute a dime to our ecosystem. What's fair is fair. Fairness is the lubricant that greases the wheels of a civil society like ours.
100% agree
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut