Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2017, 09:19 PM

752 posts, read 553,293 times

Advertisements

https://patch.com/connecticut/milfor...-space-milford

30,000 square feet is a sizable office by any measure. Good news!

Old 04-27-2017, 09:23 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,311,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
This spells trouble. Over $4.6 B in deficits projected over the next two years. Income tax receipts are nose diving over $450m in the hole. This is the worst since the recession for tax collection. This is the worst case scenario and will force more revenue generating items. CT is not doing well.

Malloy Calls For Hiring Freeze As Income Tax Collections Nose-Dive $450 Million - Hartford Courant
Hopefully this will be a wake up call for CT voters. I'd love to see Hartford, New Haven, and Bridgeport vote for Republican this time, but I know that's not going to happen .

Old 04-27-2017, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
Hopefully this will be a wake up call for CT voters. I'd love to see Hartford, New Haven, and Bridgeport vote for Republican this time, but I know that's not going to happen .
Can I ask what magic solution Republicans have to Connecticut's financial ills? Why didn't Rell solve it when she was in office instead of kicking the can down the road? This problem goes back decades...

There's plenty of blame to go around. I am certainly open to voting for a Republican, but, I'd like to know the magic solution...

However you won't see me vote for a Republican for federal office until Trump's presidency is over. I simply won't empower this dangerous lunacy to continue.

Old 04-27-2017, 10:28 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,311,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalMilford View Post
Can I ask what magic solution Republicans have to Connecticut's financial ills? Why didn't Rell solve it when she was in office instead of kicking the can down the road? This problem goes back decades...

There's plenty of blame to go around. I am certainly open to voting for a Republican, but, I'd like to know the magic solution...

However you won't see me vote for a Republican for federal office until Trump's presidency is over. I simply won't empower this dangerous lunacy to continue.
The problem was that Democrats had too much power in this state to begin with. I can't think of the numbers on top of my head but when Rowland and Rell vetoed a bill, the Dems had a large majority in the CGA to overturn the veto (2/3 vote). They could literally pass any bill or do anything they'd like without competition from the opposition. The Dems had the upper and lower chambers (senate and house) plus a Democrat governor. A divided government is actually good IMO because it doesn't give one party total dominate power. It can cause gridlock, but at least they can come to some compromise. After years of Malloy in office, we can at least try something different, and if there's more Republican candidates seeking governor (which there should be) then people need to step out of the Democratic platform and be willing to try a change in how our state government operates.

Old 04-28-2017, 04:38 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,943,622 times
Quote:
The problem was that Democrats had too much power in this state to begin with. I can't think of the numbers on top of my head but when Rowland and Rell vetoed a bill, the Dems had a large majority in the CGA to overturn the veto (2/3 vote). They could literally pass any bill or do anything they'd like without competition from the opposition. The Dems had the upper and lower chambers (senate and house) plus a Democrat governor. A divided government is actually good IMO because it doesn't give one party total dominate power. It can cause gridlock, but at least they can come to some compromise. After years of Malloy in office, we can at least try something different, and if there's more Republican candidates seeking governor (which there should be) then people need to step out of the Democratic platform and be willing to try a change in how our state government operates.
This. Somehow people think that the governor can snap his or her fingers and make things happen. Budgets don't get passed without the legislature, which has been controlled by the Democrats for 30 years.

Old 04-28-2017, 05:10 AM

Quote:
So, a I asked before, what's the republican solution?

Old 04-28-2017, 05:29 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,943,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalMilford View Post
So, a I asked before, what's the republican solution?
Connecticut Republicans to propose state budget that differs from Malloy’s

Old 04-28-2017, 07:21 AM

504 posts, read 384,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
This spells trouble. Over $4.6 B in deficits projected over the next two years. Income tax receipts are nose diving over $450m in the hole. This is the worst since the recession for tax collection. This is the worst case scenario and will force more revenue generating items. CT is not doing well.

Malloy Calls For Hiring Freeze As Income Tax Collections Nose-Dive $450 Million - Hartford Courant
To huge tax increases over the years, and the State is in a even deeper hole! So this begs the question? If it didn't work the other times, then why do democrats think it will work this time?

Old 04-28-2017, 09:05 AM

14,053 posts, read 13,929,555 times
CT tax revenue in free fall, adding $1.1B in red ink for next 2 years

https://ctmirror.org/2017/04/27/ct-t...-next-2-years/

Old 04-28-2017, 11:26 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,455,547 times
It's interesting need to see more details. Basically they want to put back most of the social and health programs cut by the democrats and eliminate a bunch of middle class and working poor tax exemptions in order to do it. While the details are different it's basically a plan to raise taxes and keep spending the same. The only two cuts are to the campaign finance program and aids to municipalities which will simply cause local taxes to rise. I'm not saying the D plan is great but neither is the R plan. As an Independent I'm back to thinking both parties are nuts.

Also interesting detail their plan would also cut funding to suburban school districts losing students to those gaining students and those with performance problems. Which I think is reasonable. But the part I get a kick out of was the suggestion by Fasano (R) that suburban districts should become regional districts that outta go well with the crowd on this forum. Thou I suppose it's a fair kick to the suburbs as taking away the Municipal aid is designed as a kick to the cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut