Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2023, 06:21 PM

370 posts, read 155,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
This is very interesting. If every unemployed worker in the state took a job, there would still be 22,000 jobs unfilled. That means Connecticut has a severe labor shortage. So much for us having a bad economy. Jay

https://westfaironline.com/economy/c...stent-problem/
What does this stat have to do with a bad or good economy?

CT population growth has been terrible since 2008. Sure, a few good post covid years but CT has a lot of young single professionals (high income family less people under age 35) and not replenishing population when kids move away or people retire. A lot of houses in CT are peoples second homes, they only live here 6 months or less. They own a home but don’t contribute to the economy for half the year.

https://www.newsweek.com/america-lab...-1818545?amp=1

Old 09-05-2023, 06:33 PM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
This is very interesting. If every unemployed worker in the state took a job, there would still be 22,000 jobs unfilled. That means Connecticut has a severe labor shortage. So much for us having a bad economy. Jay

https://westfaironline.com/economy/c...stent-problem/
That's national btw, (more openings than official unemployed), not just Ct, and partly because employers today are not filling jobs promptly, and it's not simply a lack of applicants. There is not so much a shortage as an incorrect perception by employers that filling a role with an applicant even slightly less than perfect is tragic. I have seen and worked at corps who reposted roles again and again, looking for the perfect person. They don't exist. It is a counter productive philosophy. You can't dummy proof hiring decisions.

Old 09-06-2023, 12:36 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHW2436 View Post
What does this stat have to do with a bad or good economy?

CT population growth has been terrible since 2008. Sure, a few good post covid years but CT has a lot of young single professionals (high income family less people under age 35) and not replenishing population when kids move away or people retire. A lot of houses in CT are peoples second homes, they only live here 6 months or less. They own a home but don’t contribute to the economy for half the year.

https://www.newsweek.com/america-lab...-1818545?amp=1

Uh… having more jobs available than unemployed people to fill them is a sign that the economy is robust. That’s good. If it was the other way around you’d be crying recession. That’s kind of simple logic. Jay

Old 09-06-2023, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
That's national btw, (more openings than official unemployed), not just Ct, and partly because employers today are not filling jobs promptly, and it's not simply a lack of applicants. There is not so much a shortage as an incorrect perception by employers that filling a role with an applicant even slightly less than perfect is tragic. I have seen and worked at corps who reposted roles again and again, looking for the perfect person. They don't exist. It is a counter productive philosophy. You can't dummy proof hiring decisions.
Yet again you miss the point. It doesn’t matter if it’s a national trend or not. It doesn’t change the fact that in theory there are more jobs available than people to fill them. That’s why our unemployment rate is very low 3.6%. That’s impressive. Jay

Old 09-06-2023, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Yet again you miss the point. It doesn’t matter if it’s a national trend or not. It doesn’t change the fact that in theory there are more jobs available than people to fill them. That’s why our unemployment rate is very low 3.6%. That’s impressive. Jay
Your post implied like it was special or unique to CT. He was just saying that CT isn’t an outlier, it’s simply mirroring national trends and data.

Both can be true. If I get an “A” on the exam, that can be something to be proud of and happy for. However, it’s less relevant or impressive if we find out that every single student got an “A” on that same exam.

The number of artificial jobs that are out there isn’t all that useful. As previously stated, a decent number of job openings now are not “real”. They are placeholders to build the bench and have a pipeline of candidates. One company I worked for had a couple of positions posted that they never intended to fill. It was “just in case” and used to collect resumes.

Again, perfectly fine stat but it’s not that meaningful in the current environment where it’s the norm.

Old 09-06-2023, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Your post implied like it was special or unique to CT. He was just saying that CT isn’t an outlier, it’s simply mirroring national trends and data.

Both can be true. If I get an “A” on the exam, that can be something to be proud of and happy for. However, it’s less relevant or impressive if we find out that every single student got an “A” on that same exam.

The number of artificial jobs that are out there isn’t all that useful. As previously stated, a decent number of job openings now are not “real”. They are placeholders to build the bench and have a pipeline of candidates. One company I worked for had a couple of positions posted that they never intended to fill. It was “just in case” and used to collect resumes.

Again, perfectly fine stat but it’s not that meaningful in the current environment where it’s the norm.
I never said anything to imply that this was unique to Connecticut. It is your and BobNJ1960’s incorrect interpretation of my post that did that.

Also I disagree that it is not anything special. I highly doubt every state can say this. Also some here like to point out repeatedly negative statistics when we have them, so why is it immediately dismissed when a positive statistic is given? Makes me wonder…

I will once again point out that our state has an unemployment rate that basically is considered full employment with a leaning toward a labor shortage. We are also among the very top for per capita Gross Domestic Product and income and we are No. 1 for Disposable Income. That all points to a very strong economy in our state. We should proud of that, not dismissing it. Jay

Old 09-06-2023, 07:53 PM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:

Unfortunately, that practice is common and insidious.

Old 09-06-2023, 08:33 PM

Quote:
I never said anything to imply that this was unique to Connecticut. It is your and BobNJ1960’s incorrect interpretation of my post that did that.

Also I disagree that it is not anything special. I highly doubt every state can say this. Also some here like to point out repeatedly negative statistics when we have them, so why is it immediately dismissed when a positive statistic is given? Makes me wonder…

I will once again point out that our state has an unemployment rate that basically is considered full employment with a leaning toward a labor shortage. We are also among the very top for per capita Gross Domestic Product and income and we are No. 1 for Disposable Income. That all points to a very strong economy in our state. We should proud of that, not dismissing it. Jay
You started your post with “this is very interesting”. If we incorrectly thought you meant this was special or unique, then that’s our bad.

To me, it’s much less interesting when it applies to most things. I wouldn’t say “it’s interesting most adults in CT have 2 legs”. I also wouldn’t say it’s interesting CT has more jobs than people looking.

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/une...s-by-us-state/

Old 09-07-2023, 01:42 PM

Quote:
You started your post with “this is very interesting”. If we incorrectly thought you meant this was special or unique, then that’s our bad.

To me, it’s much less interesting when it applies to most things. I wouldn’t say “it’s interesting most adults in CT have 2 legs”. I also wouldn’t say it’s interesting CT has more jobs than people looking.

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/une...s-by-us-state/

You are arguing for no reason. You misunderstood, it’s plain and simple. Jay

Old 09-07-2023, 01:43 PM

Please stop the bickering and return to the topic of the OP which is the economic climate in Connecticut. JayCT, Moderator
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut