Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2017, 06:37 PM

377 posts, read 240,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
You made very good points in your post. It is nice to see a person transplanted from another state say they think our state is still superior to other parts of the country even with all our financial problems. I am curious, what part of CT do you live in?
Thanks. North Central. I'd prefer not to name the town. It sometimes is the little things that matter. Like last summer when for some reason they didn't pick up the trash at my house. I E Mailed the Town and a truck came by the next day to pick it up.

Old 05-05-2017, 04:48 AM

3,594 posts, read 1,791,886 times
The income tax was a fatal mistake. It killed capital investment. The one selling point of CT was that it offered a short commute and similar lifestyle as NY & Mass with much lower taxes. CT doesn't have what NY and Mass are selling to justify paying similar tax rates.

State government needs an overhaul; corporate and middle class tax cuts, spending cuts, pension reform, regulation reduction(especially the redundant stuff that the feds already handle), more consumption based taxation like tolls and pot. I would hire an independent government consultant to come in to do a top to bottom review and present their findings on live TV and to the newspapers say hey here's what we need to do we're all in this together. Give capital some hope that you are fixing the underlying issues or it will continue to flee.

Old 05-05-2017, 07:10 AM

9,909 posts, read 7,689,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
The income tax was a fatal mistake. It killed capital investment. The one selling point of CT was that it offered a short commute and similar lifestyle as NY & Mass with much lower taxes. CT doesn't have what NY and Mass are selling to justify paying similar tax rates.

State government needs an overhaul; corporate and middle class tax cuts, spending cuts, pension reform, regulation reduction(especially the redundant stuff that the feds already handle), more consumption based taxation like tolls and pot. I would hire an independent government consultant to come in to do a top to bottom review and present their findings on live TV and to the newspapers say hey here's what we need to do we're all in this together. Give capital some hope that you are fixing the underlying issues or it will continue to flee.
This except tolls replace with a mileage tax every 2 years when registering the vehicle. Sales tax exemption on vehicles and boats. A used tax on $5,000 or more purchases outside the State. Self-funded pensions for State employees.

Old 05-05-2017, 09:07 AM

487 posts, read 536,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
This except tolls replace with a mileage tax every 2 years when registering the vehicle. Sales tax exemption on vehicles and boats. A used tax on $5,000 or more purchases outside the State. Self-funded pensions for State employees.
You want a state tax on mileage that is irrelevant of where the person drives those miles? Assuming you would not want self declaration of mileage during reregistration then the state would require a network of facilities to perform mileage verification, which of course would be at expense of the vehicle owner.

Old 05-06-2017, 08:57 AM

1,679 posts, read 3,016,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAE72 View Post
Here's my opinion, for what it is worth.

I am just an average person living in an average town in Connecticut. I moved to the state in the mid 1970's. At that time it was the " Switzerland of the Northeast ". After watching Politicians running the state, I place most of the blame on Democrats , specifically the Liberal or Progressive wing of politics. The more I listen to what they have to say, the more I am convinced they are completely out of touch, and are dangerous in regards to their constant preoccupation with " Social Justice " .
That being said, I honestly believe that people complain too much. The quality of life where I live in CT , is superior to many other parts of the country . It is well worth the cost of living here. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't care at all if it was 5 % or even 10 % more to live here. Still well worth it.

As far as solutions go, there must be spending cuts. In addition, we must break the stranglehold that Unions have , even if it takes 20-30 years. Start now, start busting them up. Some can be retained , but only for specific instances. We must also stop enabling negative lifestyles by handing out money to those that are unwilling to make the sacrifices that life demands for self sufficiency.
These are great points but more importantly they demonstrate conclusions drawn from a rational thought process.

There is no one size fits all approach to our economic mess but it is clear that too much spending is largely the cause.

Note 25% of the CT budget goes to pay for Medicaid - aka health insurance to poor people. Most of the spending is on the poor, the spending is a wealth transfer similar to theft.

CT is going to go bankrupt, I work as an actuary and the obligations are unsustainable. We will go bankrupt it is only a matter of time and for that reason I would describe CT's situation as dire.

Old 05-06-2017, 09:08 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,454,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
These are great points but more importantly they demonstrate conclusions drawn from a rational thought process.

There is no one size fits all approach to our economic mess but it is clear that too much spending is largely the cause.

Note 25% of the CT budget goes to pay for Medicaid - aka health insurance to poor people. Most of the spending is on the poor, the spending is a wealth transfer similar to theft.

CT is going to go bankrupt, I work as an actuary and the obligations are unsustainable. We will go bankrupt it is only a matter of time and for that reason I would describe CT's situation as dire.
65-70% of medicaid is federal dollars. Having lots of sick poor people (mostly kids elderly and disabled) doesn't really help making a state a nice place to be.

Old 05-06-2017, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by East of the River View Post
65-70% of medicaid is federal dollars. Having lots of sick poor people (mostly kids elderly and disabled) doesn't really help making a state a nice place to be.
The poor can get a job and pay for their own health care.

Look at the obesity problem among the poor. There is a positive correlation between food stamps usage and being overweight. These people are much more likely to develop health problems like diabetes. You give people free stuff and it makes things worse.

All the government handouts do is encourage dependency and in the end it doesn't really solve the underlying problem.

But this argument has been stated over and over again just like CT's spending problem. What we have is people who are ideological democrats who don't listen to reason or science.

Old 05-06-2017, 12:26 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,454,444 times
The disabled and kids can't get jobs to buy health care. The people on Medicaid who could work are mostly funded by the feds under the Medicaid expansion. The ones that were not were mostly kicked off last year. 50k I believe were kicked off in December.

Of course you then get into the sticky situation where about 10 percent of working houeholds can't afford insurance without a subsidy.

Old 05-06-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by East of the River View Post
The disabled and kids can't get jobs to buy health care. The people on Medicaid who could work are mostly funded by the feds under the Medicaid expansion. The ones that were not were mostly kicked off last year. 50k I believe were kicked off in December.

Of course you then get into the sticky situation where about 10 percent of working houeholds can't afford insurance without a subsidy.
What happens if my house burns down and I don't have insurance, should you have to pay? Why should the government fund everything for everyone?

The point is that the argument for all this massive government spending is insane.

Also your point is a non argument since no politician is talking about a 100% repeal. Look at the bill to obamacare "repeal" they are still spending 100 Billion dollars on individuals with high risks.

Even the Republicans are spending way to much it is just not as much as the Democrats.

Hillary was talking about a 15 dollar minimum wage, tax increases and universal health care. Her getting 50% of the vote is an indication that the electorate is brainwashed IMO.

Old 05-06-2017, 10:21 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,255,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
The poor can get a job and pay for their own health care.

Look at the obesity problem among the poor. There is a positive correlation between food stamps usage and being overweight. These people are much more likely to develop health problems like diabetes. You give people free stuff and it makes things worse.

All the government handouts do is encourage dependency and in the end it doesn't really solve the underlying problem.

But this argument has been stated over and over again just like CT's spending problem. What we have is people who are ideological democrats who don't listen to reason or science.
Yeah, I'm really tired of these stories about "hunger in America." There is no "hunger in America." And you are exactly right about food stamp usage and being overweight and diabetic.

And don't get me started with the school lunch programs, where 100% of the kids get a free lunch. That's where government dependency begins.

Food stamps can be used to purchase peanut butter, jelly and bread. My son ate that for three years straight because he loved it. Nothing wrong with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut