Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2017, 07:24 AM

34,942 posts, read 56,970,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Are all the on-air personalities all CT residents? I'd say many are based/live in other parts of the country. Now if they lay off support and production people, that would be an issue because I'm guessing most of them are CT based and they would have to move out of state in order to get those types of jobs.
According to this morning's Courant, ESPN has 1,000 employees considered to be on-air talent. Not all are based in Connecticut and many are under contracts that will just not be renewed. The article indicated that the layoffs will not affect behind-the-scenes personnel which is what most of the Connecticut employees are considered. It was pointed out that there were already layoffs of those types of employees back in 2015. Jay

Old 03-07-2017, 01:49 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,489,626 times
Interesting pledge, and nudge, from the CEOs of Aetna, Travelers, and the Hartford.

Link: Pledge From CEOs: We'll Give $10M To Help Hartford

Old 03-07-2017, 02:05 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,422,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
CT residents losing high-paying jobs is not a CT issue?
At this point, CT is a full-fledged liberal sinkhole and is in such a pathetic state of affairs I would assume laying off Sally, the 13 year old neighbor who serves as the family "dog-sitter" would be a CT concern, much less the jobs whose income tax contributions are measured in tens of thousands of dollars

Old 03-07-2017, 02:29 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,181,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
At this point, CT is a full-fledged liberal sinkhole and is in such a pathetic state of affairs I would assume laying off Sally, the 13 year old neighbor who serves as the family "dog-sitter" would be a CT concern, much less the jobs whose income tax contributions are measured in tens of thousands of dollars
ESPN has a global "outdated" issue with how sports content is delivered now. Has nothing to do with CT or it's politics. Much of their on-air talent is based in LA and NY as well. Though an acquantance here works up in Bristol told me about this a couple of weeks ago and is very concerned nonetheless.
(let me be crystal clear though - I am not defending the state)

Old 03-07-2017, 02:38 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,491,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
ESPN has a global "outdated" issue with how sports content is delivered now. Has nothing to do with CT or it's politics. Much of their on-air talent is based in LA and NY as well. Though an acquantance here works up in Bristol told me about this a couple of weeks ago and is very concerned nonetheless.
Same here. I live in a town that has a lot of people working for ESPN.

Even if they lay off the "face" of a tV show so goes the support. As we were told many times before. Once the face goes so does the body.

Old 03-07-2017, 07:59 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,207,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigequinox View Post
at this point, ct is a full-fledged liberal sinkhole and is in such a pathetic state of affairs i would assume laying off sally, the 13 year old neighbor who serves as the family "dog-sitter" would be a ct concern, much less the jobs whose income tax contributions are measured in tens of thousands of dollars
lol

Old 03-07-2017, 11:13 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,422,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
Not saying the state is the culprit for these jobs, but these jobs are just more lost tax revenue on a long list of lost tax revenue and an even longer list of misused tax dollars. Where CT IS at fault, is being in a position where a few high paying jobs lost is not easily and readily absorbed by the larger system. At this point every dollar hurts.

I don't follow conventional sports and so am not much of an ESPN regular, but from what I understand, they are following in the "blockbuster video" footsteps of complacency and not adapting to the new business models and technology that consumers want. I can easily Imagine A world of "blue boxes" and "blockbuster streaming services", but instead we just see the empty boarded up shells of past. Amazing what happens to companies without a "vision"...

Old 03-08-2017, 03:27 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
The ESPN problem is that Monday Night Football has been getting lousy ratings. $1.9 billion to the NFL every year. As they lose eyeballs, they lose their leverage to charge the cable operators and DirectTV huge dollars for the content and also don't see the advertising revenue.

Old 03-08-2017, 03:36 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,207,988 times
This article gives a fair account of ratings drop, and ESPN's loss of subscribers -- 11 million since 2011. And yes, NFL / ESPN's idiotic politics is a part of it.

NFL Ratings Continue To Fall In Primetime, While MLB And NBA Are Up « CBS Boston

Old 03-10-2017, 06:06 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,804,762 times
Mike Rowe testified to Congress last week about the 5.6 million unfilled jobs for mostly skilled labor. He cited Springfiled Ma as having 10,000 opportunities with 75% for skilled labor yet no workers to fill those positions. A similar situation is right here in CT. Trumpf, UTC as well as many other smaller manufacturers are looking for help for good-paying skilled workers. Plumbers, electricians and other trades are experiencing similar issues. These are not consolation prize jobs for those who don't go to college. Rowe indicated in a separate interview that 30% of the unfilled positions that do not require a college degree pay over $100,000. CT has spent a considerable amount of money on education yet has moved further away from the programs that help fill this unmet need. Companies, in CT, and elsewhere are forced to move elsewhere or subcontract more of the work overseas where these jobs are recognized as important and valued in their educational system. NH and Ma have the lowest unemployment rates in the nation at 2.6% and 2.8%. CT is at 4.1%. Regardless, there are numerous opportunities for good jobs right here. Prioritizing a plan with businesses to help fill these positions would go a long way to encouraging our young people to stay in CT as well as raising revenue through increased economic activity. This strategy is what is need to put us on the right track to repair our financial problems. You can't just cut your way to prosperity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut