Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2017, 07:23 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
I have to keep pointing this out and I have been doing this for years on here. I know it seems that CT is in a drastic state of decline but......

CT 2015 HH income: $72,889

The hot economies posters are talking about that are booming.

TX 2015 HH income: $56,473
FL 2015 HH income: $48,825
SC 2015 HH income: $46,360
NC 2015 HH income: $50,797

I know we have some major problems up in Hartford but despite that CT still looks pretty good to me.
You can continue to post this over and over, but there are many things you have to consider. Cost of living, differences in industry, etc.

Don't ignore the steep decline in income tax receipts we've just realized. That's a major rebuttal to your claims.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:46 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
I'd tell what you wanted to hear and throw a bit of money your way if you gave me $400m. He is also the same CFO, now CEO who was quoted in the Wall Street journal sayin CT is the worst state to do business in.

Also, aren't they opening a brand new state of the art facility in Brooklyn to attract talent? UTC isn't building only in Ct.
He retracted that statement but the media has ignored this. I saw his comments on the news and they were pretty favorable. IF he was not satisfied, I doubt he would say that publicly. He could have easily skirted the issue in his comments. Jay

Old 06-21-2017, 08:46 AM

6,588 posts, read 4,975,313 times
Quote:
I have to keep pointing this out and I have been doing this for years on here. I know it seems that CT is in a drastic state of decline but......

I know we have some major problems up in Hartford but despite that CT still looks pretty good to me.
It's not ALL about household income. When I was younger I thought it was. But it's not.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
or if you exclude a handful of towns/communities in the bottom corner the number goes way down
And if you did that in those other states, the same thing would happen. Not sure what you are trying to show with this statement. It is no different anywhere else. Jay

Old 06-21-2017, 09:15 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:

This is all about labor costs. Those are four low cost of living states. If you're in a high cost of living place, the jobs have to be very high value-add or they'll eventually move to a place with lower labor costs. Connecticut, like metro Boston, is a very high value add economy. If you aren't capable of a job where you have a high value-add, you're going to struggle since you're competing for housing and services with others who have those kinds of jobs and compensation. If all you're capable of doing is bagging groceries, you're way better off doing that in TX, FL, SC, or NC than Connecticut where the cost of living is so high. The average person with no college education or a near-useless degree mill college education kind of has to move. The people who don't move are the poor trapped in the failed urban areas. Before the LBJ Great Society, the poor were very mobile. They moved to where the low skill jobs were. Connecticut doesn't have those so they're trapped in the safety net which isn't portable to a TX, FL, SC, or NC. If you want to fix that problem, you either make all those programs Federal so the poor can move or you do today's Republican thing and completely kill the safety net and roll the clock back to 1955.

Old 06-21-2017, 09:29 AM

2,001 posts, read 1,865,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
This is all about labor costs. Those are four low cost of living states. If you're in a high cost of living place, the jobs have to be very high value-add or they'll eventually move to a place with lower labor costs. Connecticut, like metro Boston, is a very high value add economy. If you aren't capable of a job where you have a high value-add, you're going to struggle since you're competing for housing and services with others who have those kinds of jobs and compensation. If all you're capable of doing is bagging groceries, you're way better off doing that in TX, FL, SC, or NC than Connecticut where the cost of living is so high. The average person with no college education or a near-useless degree mill college education kind of has to move. The people who don't move are the poor trapped in the failed urban areas. Before the LBJ Great Society, the poor were very mobile. They moved to where the low skill jobs were. Connecticut doesn't have those so they're trapped in the safety net which isn't portable to a TX, FL, SC, or NC. If you want to fix that problem, you either make all those programs Federal so the poor can move or you do today's Republican thing and completely kill the safety net and roll the clock back to 1955.
I disagree with this. These other states have high cost living areas also. Ct is not the only high cost place. For example Daniel island in Charleston or mt.pleasant sc. You can bag grocery and live there. Maybe living in rural areas but once you get to the city area many southern cities are on par or above ct cities. State wide ct does exceed but that because it's very small and very populated vs state like tx where you can drive 6+hours and not run into 1 city.

No job making $9 is going to move from ct thinking they can pay the same or less in Charlotte because no one will apply. Like I said before I left my job in ct for the same company in sc but pays 10k more and more days off. Jobs can pay more because taxes are low so they are still making a huge profit paying someone more money than in ct

Old 06-21-2017, 09:56 AM

4,454 posts, read 3,349,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoskillz View Post
Like I said before I left my job in ct for the same company in sc but pays 10k more and more days off. Jobs can pay more because taxes are low so they are still making a huge profit paying someone more money than in ct
Your job in SC is an anomaly if true. This figure tells me so: SC 2015 HH income: $46,360.

You can't just make a statement like that, where are the details. I was born in CT but I think like a person from MO, "show me". I don't believe that your job pays $10,000 more in SC.

Old 06-21-2017, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Your job in SC is an anomaly if true. This figure tells me so: SC 2015 HH income: $46,360.

You can't just make a statement like that, where are the details. I was born in CT but I think like a person from MO, "show me". I don't believe that your job pays $10,000 more in SC.
True. I know people that considered moving to a low-cost state and were told to do so would require them to take a pay cut. After looking at the cost of living there, they realized it was not that much less than Hartford so they did not take the position. Jay

Old 06-21-2017, 11:11 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
Malloy preparing to run state without new budget in place - Connecticut Post

Old 06-21-2017, 11:13 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
There high chance there no budget by July 1 no one agreeing with anything

"Unlike the federal government, which shuts down when there is no budget in place, the state would continue operating with Malloy having authority to cut certain accounts without legislative approval. But he cannot, for example, cut aid to cities and towns without a vote by the legislature."

"If there is no budget agreement by the start of the new fiscal year on July 1, Malloy would have increased authority to operate the state. That would include across-the-board cuts of 17 percent in some departments, said House Republican leader Themis Klarides of Derby. Categories such as pensions would not be subject to across-the-board cuts."

Lawmakers Want To Avoid Potential Cuts If No Budget by June 30 - Hartford Courant
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut