Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2017, 04:41 AM

898 posts, read 597,716 times

Advertisements

Except for the tape measures, Stanley's buildings are a ghost town of what was along Myrtle Street. Probably could never figure out to re-assemble the tape measure machinery if they took it apart to move it....pretty cool to see it run.

I guy who used to be my neighbor worked in that building used to make the vials for the levels. I got moved to overseas and he had to go there and train them.

His brother was a manager in one of the departments there.

Down the road was a building where they made utility knife blades, single edge blades, and nail set punches. All gone.

Only thing left really is the HQ building up on Slater Road.

Old 06-24-2017, 06:44 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,832,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
Commits? No where did he say commits. He said "foreseeable future" which is the same lingo Aetna used and now we see that outcome.

The piece is more of an ultimatum than anything. Stanley was one of the companies that wrote to the governor back in 2015 about moving if the taxes were raised. Stanley has moved many operations out of CT in the last couple years to Maryland because they need to attract more young people.
This guy is just another whiner trying to set up the state to get some incentives. In the article he doesn't provide even one suggestion on how to make CT more business friendly he only says "avoid new major tax burdens" and "The other two conditions include a commitment from government leaders and politicians to foster a "hospitable" business climate and help make the Capital City more viable fiscally and as an attraction for young talent."

Open ended BS. This guy has some nerve to be whining when Black and Deckers NET INCOME for 2016
was 965.3 million dollars
(that's almost 1 billion dollars)

SWK Annual Income Statement - Stanley Black & Decker Inc. Annual Financials

Profitable companies do not need incentives.
Where's Aston Kucher ? He's bound to pop up from behind a bush any minute now to say "you've been punked" because this guy is a joke.

Old 06-24-2017, 10:46 AM

610 posts, read 532,982 times
Default Get ready for sales tax hike.

https://ctmirror.org/2017/06/22/sale...talks-drag-on/

Up to 6.99% a nice round number. Not surprising, as our sales tax is a bit lower than nearby states. I'll be interested to see if they also find a way to increase the income tax---which will inevitably happen someday.

Old 06-24-2017, 11:27 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert137 View Post
https://ctmirror.org/2017/06/22/sale...talks-drag-on/

Up to 6.99% a nice round number. Not surprising, as our sales tax is a bit lower than nearby states. I'll be interested to see if they also find a way to increase the income tax---which will inevitably happen someday.

Err... Massachusetts is 6.25%. Massachusetts can't raise their sales tax or it would crush all the retail north of Boston where people would just drive to tax-free New Hampshire. People aren't going to drive to Massachusetts to avoid 3/4% sales tax but if you jacked it up to 8%, you'd see some of that behavior on big ticket items. I'm in New Hampshire all the time. I buy things like iPhones there.

Old 06-24-2017, 11:33 AM

2,000 posts, read 1,864,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Err... Massachusetts is 6.25%. Massachusetts can't raise their sales tax or it would crush all the retail north of Boston where people would just drive to tax-free New Hampshire. People aren't going to drive to Massachusetts to avoid 3/4% sales tax but if you jacked it up to 8%, you'd see some of that behavior on big ticket items. I'm in New Hampshire all the time. I buy things like iPhones there.
But I don't see the average person driving across the boarder just to get something a couple of dallors cheaper . Someone in Hartford not going to drive to mass for example. Gas will cost you more than the price difference

Old 06-24-2017, 12:05 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,420,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoskillz View Post
But I don't see the average person driving across the boarder just to get something a couple of dallors cheaper . Someone in Hartford not going to drive to mass for example. Gas will cost you more than the price difference
It's dynamic population scale behavior. You or I might not drive from Hartford to mass just to buy groceries, maybe not even a new TV, but if someone saves $40 on tv and lives only 10 miles away, almost certainly will.

Then there are the disgusted people such as myself that can afford the $40 for convenience, but would actually rather waste money in gas, refill while in mass, than to give that money to these leeches. At this point it's about not enabling them. Look at it like our civil duty to cross state lines to buy things. I order as much as I can on the internet so not to pay sales tax. Been doing it more and more over the months. I used to be at local stores and Walmart et al at least 3x a week. I haven't stepped foot in local Walmart or clothing store in over a month. At most I stop at gas station to pick up some drinks, and even that I get on the internet now. Only local store that still regularly gets my business is the gun store, simply because their existence irritates liberals just the same.

Old 06-24-2017, 12:28 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,832,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
It's dynamic population scale behavior. You or I might not drive from Hartford to mass just to buy groceries, maybe not even a new TV, but if someone saves $40 on tv and lives only 10 miles away, almost certainly will.

Then there are the disgusted people such as myself that can afford the $40 for convenience, but would actually rather waste money in gas, refill while in mass, than to give that money to these leeches. At this point it's about not enabling them. Look at it like our civil duty to cross state lines to buy things. I order as much as I can on the internet so not to pay sales tax. Been doing it more and more over the months. I used to be at local stores and Walmart et al at least 3x a week. I haven't stepped foot in local Walmart or clothing store in over a month. At most I stop at gas station to pick up some drinks, and even that I get on the internet now. Only local store that still regularly gets my business is the gun store, simply because their existence irritates liberals just the same.
I don't think the internet sales tax arbitrage really exists any more at least with all the major retailers. EVen Amazon is collecting sales tax on purchases by CT residents.

You might avoid sales tax if you buy something via ebay from an individual seller, but if you buy something from Target via ebay you will be paying sales tax.

I'd like to know what companies you are buying stuff from that are not collecting sales tax.

The only fairly large company with a big internet presence that I know of that doesn't collect sales tax in CT is newegg.com I have ordered lots of stuff from them over the years.

Old 06-24-2017, 12:32 PM

610 posts, read 532,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Have you looked at Line 15 on Form CT-1040 (Resident Income Tax Return), "Individual Use Tax"?

Old 06-24-2017, 03:38 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,612,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
I don't think the internet sales tax arbitrage really exists any more at least with all the major retailers. EVen Amazon is collecting sales tax on purchases by CT residents.
Amazon has physical warehouses in the state so that counts as establishing Nexus in the region. Sales to CT residents must be taxed appropriately.

Old 06-24-2017, 03:54 PM

6,585 posts, read 4,970,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoskillz View Post

I know a guy who lives in northern CT, but not a border town, and buys everything in MA. And he will drive out of his way to do so. It's just the way he's wired. Otoh I look at my time and gas - but I always fill up at Pride if I'm in Enfield.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut