Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2019, 09:41 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Yet Charter is building their headquarters in Stamford. Indeed is adding 500 jobs in Stamford. Henkel moved from Arizona to Stamford. Infosys is adding 1,000 jobs in Hartford. Ideanomics Is coming to UConn’s former West Hartford campus. Pratt & Whitney is expanding. Electric Boat is expanding here. Hartford has been named by Glassdoor as one of the five top places to find a job. New Haven has been named the top place that Millennials are moving to. I am not sure how much more people want or expect. Jay
Meh - rankings are all over the place and I wouldn’t take them too seriously. They are clickbait at best. You know this.

But again, the job creation numbers aren’t there. What I’m hearing is anecdotal, at best.

Old 06-11-2019, 09:46 AM

2,362 posts, read 2,186,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
All that is true and Datto is what I thought of too - but I’d stop short of suggesting companies are hiring like wildfire in CT. The numbers re: job creation very much contradict that claim.
But the employment gap in CT is absolutely massive, so there's certainly a mismatch in the job market. Way more good openings in the hot markets than there are bodies to fill it. You should check the posting boards, there's around 10k $55k+ openings in the immediate Stamford area alone on Indeed. 8k for the rest of of the Norwalk-Bridgeport area... so almost 20k decent paying jobs with an unemployment rate one of the lowest for any MSA in the union. With our housing crisis here, I'm not too sure where the give could come from.

Not really sure what the State can do about that other than massively funding retraining programs and set up a sort of homestead programme.

Most of the losses in CT, like much of the country, are in the exurbs and rural areas. The cities haven't picked up the slack like Mass has with Boston, or Indiana has with the Indianapolis metro and even ..::gasp::.. Gary.

Quote:
You have to acknowledge there’s a disturbing trend with HQ pulling out of the state, for whatever reason.
Let's take GE, SHU's small business incubator already has more employees of the private businesses way more people than the GE office did at the wane of operations there. Some jobs aren't as well paying as GE's but the head count is filling that gap quick.

It's a hit on our pride, but we got to be forward looking for new opportunities that fit our state's employment, fiscal, and QOL needs and wants.

Old 06-11-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post
But the employment gap in CT is absolutely massive, so there's certainly a mismatch in the job market. Way more good openings in the hot markets than there are bodies to fill it. You should check the posting boards, there's around 10k $55k+ openings in the immediate Stamford area alone on Indeed. 8k for the rest of of the Norwalk-Bridgeport area... so almost 20k decent paying jobs with an unemployment rate one of the lowest for any MSA in the union. With our housing crisis here, I'm not too sure where the give could come from.

Not really sure what the State can do about that other than massively funding retraining programs and set up a sort of homestead programme.

Most of the losses in CT, like much of the country, are in the exurbs and rural areas. The cities haven't picked up the slack like Mass has with Boston, or Indiana has with the Indianapolis metro and even ..::gasp::.. Gary.

Let's take GE, SHU's small business incubator already has more employees of the private businesses way more people than the GE office did at the wane of operations there. Some jobs aren't as well paying as GE's but the head count is filling that gap quick.

It's a hit on our pride, but we got to be forward looking for new opportunities that fit our state's employment, fiscal, and QOL needs and wants.
Yeah, but again, a lot of what I’m seeing is anecdotal. I’m trying to find the actual numbers (recent) but not having much luck.

Very much agree on pride. CT residents very much lack it, and it’s fueled by sensationalist reporting. As someone else in this thread said, the psychological damage is the worst. CEOs all have telephone conferences and meet on a personal level. Social media is also big, where anyone can spout their ignorance for everyone to read.

As with everything, it’s not what it is, it’s how it looks. And it’s not looking good.

Old 06-11-2019, 10:23 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
Republicans introduced the state income tax? Last I checked Weicker was an Independent. I know you personally consider him a Republican, but he was an Independent when he introduced this “temporary” tax of his. And if you really want to get to the source of what led this state to its death spiral, herein lies Exhibit A. Incrementally, and little by little since then, it was under Democratic regimes that taxes have soared, and it has done nothing to resolve the debt. It was also a Democrat who promised the world to public sector employees in the ‘80s which created the mess we are in now.

At what point do people such as myself stop getting accused of having a “The sky is falling” mentality and start being regarded as right regarding the dire economic situation of this state? I know you think everyone is over-exaggerating the severity of job losses, but this is not the case. I just do not share your enthusiasm that we will bounce back just because this is Connecticut. Watching lawmakers downplay what’s happening here, it reminds me of the AIDS crisis in the ‘80s when Washington just looked the other way and did nothing. Same thing here.
Lowell Weicker was a Republican for his entire political career before he ran as an independent for Governor so yes, I think that you certainly can’t blame the Democrats entirely for the income tax. I do not remember the income tax ever being called “temporary”. I never said the Democrats are perfect or they are right or that I agree with what they do. I don’t criticize them because others here do that for me but no one seems to criticize the Republicans. That is why I do. And I feel that as a Republican I can do that without being accused of being partisan. I wish that could be said about others here.

Our underfunded pension obligations is the No. 1 fiscal problem we face. This dates back decades, not just the past eight years. 20 years of Republican Governors did nothing, if not made it worse.

As I said, I have been hearing “the sky is falling” since the day I joined this website. I have heard repeated doom and gloom yet here we sit with virtually full employment, one of the highest median incomes with the fourth best disposable incomes even when you consider cost of living and taxes and one of the highest gross domestic products in the country. So how bad can it really be?

I don’t like when any company leaves but also I realize this happens all the time even in business friendly states. I do think we need to make our state more business friendly and stop the tax increases. I am very disappointed in Governor Lamont’s tax increases. We should be living within our means.

Since this discussion now borders on a personal attack, I am done talking about it here. Any further discussion will be deleted as such. If you want to question my posts or positions I would be happy to discuss them via a DM but not on the open forum. JayCT, Moderator

Old 06-11-2019, 10:24 AM

Quote:
I don’t like when any company leaves but also I realize this happens all the time even in business friendly states. I do think we need to make our state more business friendly and stop the tax increases. I am very disappointed in Governor Lamont’s tax increases. We should be living within our means.
You absolutely nailed it with this post.

Old 06-11-2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Meh - rankings are all over the place and I wouldn’t take them too seriously. They are clickbait at best. You know this.

But again, the job creation numbers aren’t there. What I’m hearing is anecdotal, at best.
I agree that rankings are generally click bait yet every time there is a negative one, like one on economic growth or population changes, you see a number of posters jumping on it without questioning its validity. So why then should the good rankings be belittled or ignored? They are just as valid. Jay

Old 06-11-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
I agree that rankings are generally click bait yet every time there is a negative one, like one on economic growth or population changes, you see a number of posters jumping on it without questioning its validity. So why then should the good rankings be belittled or ignored? They are just as valid. Jay
That can be said for both pro and con. People promote rankings that are in line with their opinion or agenda, and pick apart ones that don’t. What it comes down to is methodology. But the vast majority of them are tiny sample sizes and really insignificant.

Old 06-11-2019, 12:46 PM

570 posts, read 477,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post
But the employment gap in CT is absolutely massive, so there's certainly a mismatch in the job market. Way more good openings in the hot markets than there are bodies to fill it. You should check the posting boards, there's around 10k $55k+ openings in the immediate Stamford area alone on Indeed. 8k for the rest of of the Norwalk-Bridgeport area... so almost 20k decent paying jobs with an unemployment rate one of the lowest for any MSA in the union. With our housing crisis here, I'm not too sure where the give could come from
Here enlies the issue, you think 55K in Fairfield County is a good paying job?? It sucks, plain and simple. It is now a starting wage for the young..or poverty level for a family. Think about how housing costs have increased, student debt, gas, medical costs etc over 15 years. It is close to 2500/month for a one BD in Stamford. How do you pay for all that on 3K take home? Cue the "spoiled glass touching millenials..oh, I scrimped and saved" crowd. Reality is that 45k was a great starting salary..over two decades ago. How can we still be in that range and talking about a "decent" paying job?? Mindboggling to me. How many are over $75k or $100k?

Last edited by CT_Yank; 06-11-2019 at 12:58 PM..

Old 06-11-2019, 12:47 PM

According to Governor Lamont, the UTC spun off Otis Elevator will maintain its headquarters here and Pratt & Whitney will be adding 1,000 more employees. That’s good news. Jay

https://www.ctpost.com/local/article...s-13968400.php

Old 06-11-2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbeer View Post
Under the radar, UTC moved Carrier HQs out of CT

https://www.hartfordbusiness.com/art...-hqs-out-of-ct

If you read the Courant (basically a Democrat Party newsletter) UTC is committed to Connecticut. But expect all their headquarters except Pratt & Whitney to get out of Connecticut as soon as possible. All the Otis execs and their salaries should be gone soon.

And you can expect the manufacturing jobs will soon start to evaporate, their are almost 20,000 of those and almost every state in the country has more favorable manufacturing cost than Connecticut.

But everything is fine. GE gone. Aetna tried to leave. UTC out the door. Too many companies have left to list. It's a pathetic record on business. Democrats are throwing away in ten years what took 150 years to build. Congrats.
I am not sure how they can claim Carrier’s move was under the radar. It was well documented in the media months ago. What were they supposed to do? Get a band and parade down Main Street? Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut