Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2016, 09:18 AM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbeer View Post
Yeah, but they are million dollar, hundreds of thousand dollar, type jobs. Their loss hurt. Not just taxes and local upscale businesses but charities and the kids that benefit from them.

If you don't understand how this hurts the community and state across the board, you're not paying attention.

Corp hqs generate high quality supplier jobs.

The type an Amazon DC never can generate.

When Wall St bonuses drop, the middle class waiters and marina employees suffer.

A McJob is not a F10 HQ job.

Quality matters most.

Old 11-05-2016, 01:48 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,421,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by East of the River View Post
Renter where did that number come from? If it includes property tax and state income tax, it needs to be adjusted. The property tax will still be there, and the income tax will depend on how many worker leave. Most reports peg it at a few hundred so far, so that's no where near a billion. Their corporate tax paid has been low for years thanks to carried forward losses. Yes GE matters but not that much at least so far.
With huge brand name prestigious companies, I the dynamic is much more complicated. I don't think sufficient analysis can be made this early, for either case, without data over at least 5 years. Discussed many times, is the notion of auxiliary business when it comes to economic impact of these fortune 100 goliaths -accounting services, regulatory services, logistics, warehousing, local suppliers etc etc etc. there's also the fact that GE is one of a small pool of companies outside of finance with the prestige and caliber to retain Yale graduates and top students from UCONN and other state universities. We spend a lot of money subsidizing state universities and STEM initiatives, and, in reality, with every high tech company that leaves or opens its doors elsewhere, we are essentially paying for and producing the STEM workforce of OTHER regional and/or metro economies. That in turn puts even more pressure on ours. CT is not in a good shape and preparing people for jobs that don't exist here.

In biotech and biomedical research, the only places capable of retaining top grads and experienced professionals are JAX genomic medicine, boehringer ingelheim, alexion, perkin elmer and Yale. What's that, 5 organizations across the state? Boston has higher density in 2 square blocks. We need change and we need it fast.

Old 11-05-2016, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
. We spend a lot of money subsidizing state universities and STEM initiatives, and, in reality, with every high tech company that leaves or opens its doors elsewhere, we are essentially paying for and producing the STEM workforce of OTHER regional and/or metro economies. That in turn puts even more pressure on ours. CT is not in a good shape and preparing people for jobs that don't exist here.

True I'd like to see states ranked by net importation/exportation of college grads.

Old 11-06-2016, 10:52 AM

265 posts, read 488,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post

In biotech and biomedical research, the only places capable of retaining top grads and experienced professionals are JAX genomic medicine, boehringer ingelheim, alexion, perkin elmer and Yale. What's that, 5 organizations across the state? Boston has higher density in 2 square blocks. We need change and we need it fast.
I can't rep this enough. I am a scientist trained in biomed research (genetics) and I have very few opportunities in CT -- basically just the ones mentioned here -- if I want to stay in research. I'm looking at alternative career options, but once again, NY and Boston are much better suited for someone with my training and skills. It's unfortunate.

Old 11-06-2016, 12:09 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,421,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandy-bound View Post
I can't rep this enough. I am a scientist trained in biomed research (genetics) and I have very few opportunities in CT -- basically just the ones mentioned here -- if I want to stay in research. I'm looking at alternative career options, but once again, NY and Boston are much better suited for someone with my training and skills. It's unfortunate.
Genomics here as well...indeed it's bad. NY isn't really a hot spot for genetics either. Cold spring harbor, mount Sinai and regeneron are about it in terms of places that would have any appeal to me (NY genome center sucks). When cost of living is considered NY becomes even less viable (compared to CT). Throw in the epitome of authoritarian liberal leadership with an equally uninformed but emotionally driven liberal citizenry and we have one of the last places in the US i would ever live. Right now I'm in a good spot, working for 2 of those 5 and gaining incredible experience in the meantime. Unfortunately my wife and I are hitting the salary range of diminishing returns given the brutal and uninspiring tax structure here in CT.

If youre looking for alternative options in CT, quit your job, start smoking crack, live in Hartford and produce copious amounts of progeny you have no intention of raising. You'll get quite a nice package from the state! All kidding aside, the field is painfully small in CT. Recruiting talent is also very difficult because everyone ends up accepting jobs in Boston or leaving the region altogether. Depending on your experience, education and personality, biotech sales is great money , hire scientist/lab background over sales background, will pay you a salary you can live on in this state and is not bound by geography--so you have an exit strategy in place by nature of the job via transfer. Best part is, you don't need to depend on CT for the jobs,so long as they don't regulate them out of existence.

Old 11-06-2016, 01:26 PM

Quote:

Old 11-08-2016, 11:51 AM

752 posts, read 553,737 times
Quote:
I know two cancer researchers who were completing Post Docs at Yale-- One went to Boston, the other to San Francisco.

Old 11-08-2016, 03:33 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,424,538 times
Entering this fray..lol ...as a senior biotech guy..my advise ...look to Boston of course, the area around Princeton NJ...the Maryland suburbs near the NIH and USAMRID...and the San Francisco/San Jose area... with nascent growth in Austin, Salt Lake and Houston.. all tied to university and university research.

There are other spots of course...as an example.. I moved my company .. in the monoclonal antibody field to Charleston from Ct and Maryland 9 years ago ...tied to the Medical University there and couldn't be more pleased .. they are currently developing a biotech incubator... to help with further expansion.

Old 11-08-2016, 09:05 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,834,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinetek View Post
hi all, here's a fresh opinion from someone coming from third world country, don't judge me by that, I'm well educated, well traveled and hard working. I've been in CT for only a few years and it took me six months to understand that I need to get the hell out of here. It's not only the economy, it's the overall human development which suffers in CT. When I was coming here I thought I was coming to a well developed state which is rural in a positive way, imagine Switzerland, a country where cows coexist with solar powered lawn mower robots. Unfortunately, it's not even close, and what's even worse is that it's very hard to meet a professional, and it doesn't matter if you talk about IT or medicine, I have certain health issues and I have to deal with doctors almost weekly, their skill level is at least mediocre, only 2 doctors out of 15 I dealt with are worth the salary they are making, others are mediocre at most.
Most of the people here have never been to Europe, heck, a lot of people never been to NY or MA. The only hope for this state is graduates, and guess what happens with graduates? They leave immediately. And I totally support them, what should educated graduate do? Pay 500k to buy a house, pay 10k in taxes and work....where?

I don't want to offense anybody, there are very nice places and people in CT, don't get me wrong, but the only word which describes CT the best is: DUMP.
You will not find anything like Switzerland any where in the United States. If that's what you wanted you should have moved there instead.

I'm also going to take a wild guess that you've never visited Indiana, Kansas, Mississippi, or Alabama. Otherwise you'd realize how great CT truly is.

When you leave CT come back here and let us know how it worked out.

Old 11-09-2016, 08:02 AM

752 posts, read 553,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinetek View Post
hi all, here's a fresh opinion from someone coming from third world country, don't judge me by that, I'm well educated, well traveled and hard working. I've been in CT for only a few years and it took me six months to understand that I need to get the hell out of here. It's not only the economy, it's the overall human development which suffers in CT. When I was coming here I thought I was coming to a well developed state which is rural in a positive way, imagine Switzerland, a country where cows coexist with solar powered lawn mower robots. Unfortunately, it's not even close, and what's even worse is that it's very hard to meet a professional, and it doesn't matter if you talk about IT or medicine, I have certain health issues and I have to deal with doctors almost weekly, their skill level is at least mediocre, only 2 doctors out of 15 I dealt with are worth the salary they are making, others are mediocre at most.
Most of the people here have never been to Europe, heck, a lot of people never been to NY or MA. The only hope for this state is graduates, and guess what happens with graduates? They leave immediately. And I totally support them, what should educated graduate do? Pay 500k to buy a house, pay 10k in taxes and work....where?

I don't want to offense anybody, there are very nice places and people in CT, don't get me wrong, but the only word which describes CT the best is: DUMP.
As someone who grew up here and loves it, I'm biased. I have to say if you think "human development" is bad here, you should try some other parts of the country.

If you know more than your doctors, perhaps you should treat yourself, because I don't think many would agree that medicine here is practiced poorly. In general the medical system in Connecticut is considered world class. Anchored by excellent hospitals, this is a true strength of CT.

Why is the only hope graduates? There are plenty who own small businesses, work as executives in small or large corporations or are professionals. Recent studies showed that the average successful entrepreneur is in their 30's-- not a recent graduate.

Finally, describing CT as a dump is really incorrect. Yes, we have blighted cities, but some of the most beautiful landscapes in the country... Especially this time of year.

I don't know what 3rd world country you came from, but, I'm sure the average person there doesn't have your education and isn't world traveled. You don't want us to judge you, but you sure are quick to judge us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut