Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2015, 07:29 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
2 facts stand out: 2 Ohio offers in 3 weeks, and as you indicated on the work forum, your Ct employer had a replacement for you in starting 1.5 weeks from the day you gave notice. That should tell you why you had no Ct offers, and a lot of success in 3.8% unemployment Columbus. (Your replacement is no doubt an unemployed Ct professional, as they could not have given proper notice otherwise).

Stamford used to have an unemployment rate similar to Columbus. Pre Malloy, of course.
Actually if you look a the latest jobs report you will see that the Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk area added more jobs than Columbus. Columbus added 3,000 new jobs in May while Stamford-Bridgeport-Norwalk added 3,300. What is more statistically interesting is that Columbus has a population that is about 50% higher than Stamford-Bridgeport-Norwalk and the total number of employees went down by 3,000 while Stamford-Bridgeport-Norwalk went up by 300.

I also have to question the use of the situation with nep321 as being indicative of the job situation here in Connecticut verses Columbus. He is known to be very selective in his job criteria making what most people would view as unreasonable demands for employment situations. I wonder how many of the Connecticut job opportunities he messed up by comments made or tone given when he talked to recruiters or HR personnel. As I see it, he likely took a couple of hours off from work and drove to the Connecticut interviews while for the Columbus job he was off for a couple of days and likely on very good behavior.

Plus keep in mind that Stamford is located in the largest employment center in This country. Within an hour of Norwalk are thousands of jobs in New Haven County, Fairfield County, Westchester County, New York City and even Hartford County, Long Island and New Jersey. This area has the largest concentration of corporations in the country. I find it highly suspicious that he was unable to find a job in corporate tax accounting in this area. It shows that there is more to the story (as we all already know) than being made out to be.

And nep321 - we do not want to hear more of your endless excuses and explanations. We have heard them all before and they are off-topic for this discussion. Jay

Old 06-24-2015, 08:46 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Actually if you look a the latest jobs report you will see that the Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk area added more jobs than Columbus. Columbus added 3,000 new jobs in May while Stamford-Bridgeport-Norwalk added 3,300. What is more statistically interesting is that Columbus has a population that is about 50% higher than Stamford-Bridgeport-Norwalk and the total number of employees went down by 3,000 while Stamford-Bridgeport-Norwalk went up by 300.

I also have to question the use of the situation with nep321 as being indicative of the job situation here in Connecticut verses Columbus. He is known to be very selective in his job criteria making what most people would view as unreasonable demands for employment situations. I wonder how many of the Connecticut job opportunities he messed up by comments made or tone given when he talked to recruiters or HR personnel. As I see it, he likely took a couple of hours off from work and drove to the Connecticut interviews while for the Columbus job he was off for a couple of days and likely on very good behavior.

Plus keep in mind that Stamford is located in the largest employment center in This country. Within an hour of Norwalk are thousands of jobs in New Haven County, Fairfield County, Westchester County, New York City and even Hartford County, Long Island and New Jersey. This area has the largest concentration of corporations in the country. I find it highly suspicious that he was unable to find a job in corporate tax accounting in this area. It shows that there is more to the story (as we all already know) than being made out to be.

And nep321 - we do not want to hear more of your endless excuses and explanations. We have heard them all before and they are off-topic for this discussion. Jay
What excuses and explanations?

Of course, I could probably easily find a job in Fairfield County. But not the rest of CT. The whole point of my desire to relocate is to leave FFC. I thought you knew that.

And no, I honestly did not have any luck finding any opportunities in the rest of CT. It's almost entirely public accounting jobs, which is not the direction I want to take my career. I'm not just going to accept any job for the sake of moving to the Hartford area. What's the point in that? I'd be miserable and working 60 hour weeks.

In short, yes, there are a handful of jobs in greater Hartford, but almost entirely in public accounting, which is not my thing. I'm in my 30's now. Being more particular about my career is reasonable. It's not like I'm 22 years old, fresh out of college and hoping to just take any job that comes my way. To take my career in an undesirable direction now would be a major setback IMO.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:53 AM

Who says no one wants to build manufacturing here in Connecticut? This Ohio company bought land in Windsor to build a warehouse facility and that was after announcing a Waterbury manufacturing facility in January. Jay

Ohio firm’s $1.5M buys Windsor site to expand | HartfordBusiness.com

News Feed

Old 06-24-2015, 08:57 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,487,187 times
Quote:
Who says no one wants to build manufacturing here in Connecticut? This Ohio company bought land in Windsor to build a warehouse facility and that was after announcing a Waterbury manufacturing facility in January. Jay

Ohio firm’s $1.5M buys Windsor site to expand | HartfordBusiness.com

News Feed
Now THAT is awesome!! Plus, it's in my community!

More will follow.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
What excuses and explanations?

Of course, I could probably easily find a job in Fairfield County. But not the rest of CT. The whole point of my desire to relocate is to leave FFC. I thought you knew that.

And no, I honestly did not have any luck finding any opportunities in the rest of CT. It's almost entirely public accounting jobs, which is not the direction I want to take my career. I'm not just going to accept any job for the sake of moving to the Hartford area. What's the point in that? I'd be miserable and working 60 hour weeks.

In short, yes, there are a handful of jobs in greater Hartford, but almost entirely in public accounting, which is not my thing. I'm in my 30's now. Being more particular about my career is reasonable. It's not like I'm 22 years old, fresh out of college and hoping to just take any job that comes my way. To take my career in an undesirable direction now would be a major setback IMO.
This is exactly what I said not to do. Just more excuses. Not bending , even in the slightest, to get something in the long term.

If I am not mistaken you did go on a couple of interviews outside Fairfield County but dismissed them for not having certain amenities you desired (covered parking, cafeteria on-site, landscaped grounds, etc.). I can picture the interview and you making one seemingly casual comment that an interviewer could pick up on. That could be why those interviews did not result in an offer.

Again we do NOT want to hear more excuses since it is going WAY off topic. Jay

Old 06-24-2015, 09:00 AM

I know I am partly to blame for this, but lets not go off topic on this. JayCT, Moderator

Old 06-24-2015, 05:37 PM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:

One more thing I will note is that when it comes to transportation, Malloy has a MUCH better policy than Christie. Malloy has proposed a massive $100 billion 30-year program to upgrade transportation throughout the state including highway reconstruction and mass-transit improvements. Christie canceled one of the most important transportation projects in New Jersey history, the additional transit tunnel under the Hudson River, a couple of years back. That tunnel would have helped make it easier for New Jersey commuters to get in and out of Manhattan. Today commuters must take a train to Hoboken and then switch to another train to get into the city.

Wrong, Jay, NJ rail takes me straight to Penn Station. From several dozen towns, several times every hour. There are many different direct to Penn Station lines.

Sunday I'll leave my place and be in midtown in an hour, and I am as many miles away as Milford, which would require 40 extra minutes to get to NY downtown.

As for jobs, Ct gained 4,600 as the prior month was revised 1,800 down. Those count,too.

It lags the nation and every neighbor in GDP growth-.6% under DM.

Old 06-24-2015, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post

And no, I honestly did not have any luck finding any opportunities in the rest of CT. It's almost entirely public accounting jobs, which is not the direction I want to take my career.

In Ohio, you got 2 quick offers, while your Ct employer found your replacement in 1.5 weeks, which means they found an unemployed tax accountant.

Good luck finding one in 3.8% unemployment Columbus..in months.

Old 06-24-2015, 05:44 PM

Quote:
I know I am partly to blame for this, but lets not go off topic on this. JayCT, Moderator
Partly? LOL. No problem.

Regarding the Ct economic climate, the corps publicly lashing out at Big Taxer Malloy are no doubt joined by quieter corps also re-examining their viability in Ct under such onerous corporate taxation. AETNA is hardly alone getting hammered for 27% more than pre DM. (I know of one, as I have worked with their org. Not GE size, but not small.)

Old 06-24-2015, 05:55 PM

2,358 posts, read 2,181,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Wrong, Jay, NJ rail takes me straight to Penn Station. From several dozen towns, several times every hour. There are many different direct to Penn Station lines.

Sunday I'll leave my place and be in midtown in an hour, and I am as many miles away as Milford, which would require 40 extra minutes to get to NY downtown.

As for jobs, Ct gained 4,600 as the prior month was revised 1,800 down. Those count,too.

It lags the nation and every neighbor in GDP growth-.6% under DM.
Wow seriously? The ARC was supposed to supplant the existing tunnels until the remediation was complete. Now, once the existing tunnels have the slightest bit of issue in the coming years train service into Penn will be severely disrupted. Turning away money that AMTRAK wanted to spend, that the Federal Government guaranteed, and that would have had little cost on the other side for something that would be needed eventually was absolutely foolish by Christie. Now NJTransit and possibly PATH are going to have issues once the remod to Penn station is complete, allowing more Harlem Line and LIRR connections (and some NH line secondary lines but much more limited) than NJ Transit. Eastern NJ is MUCH more dependent on the NYC job market than CT and Upper Hudson is, so in a decade let's revisit how much of an intelligent decision this was by Christie only to boost his anti-Fed bona fides.

Malloy IIRC has been on record for a better east west rail connection (Katonah area-Danbury-Waterbury-Hartford-Manchester-Providence) but continued with the busway because the ROW was there and to scrap it would've flushed millions in Federal Funds down the drain. There's really no comparison when it comes to future transportation thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut