Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2015, 11:05 AM

503 posts, read 530,924 times

Advertisements

"The people seemed simple."

West Hartford is awesome. If you think people in West Hartford are simple, I can't wait to hear what you think of people in Ohio.

Last edited by FunkOdyssey; 06-25-2015 at 12:10 PM..

Old 06-25-2015, 11:32 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,492,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
ANYWAY..back on Topic. Kind of wish this was the other way, but it appears CT is losing VERY GOOD paying jobs to Mass, New Jersey & San Fran. Connecticut Researchers Moving to Cambridge as Bristol Myers Squibb Reduces Staff in Wallingford - CTnow

Around 400 people will be either let go or relocated. Also, looks like an additional 400 contractors will be let go. The Wallingford site it to close by 2018, but they said they will keep 400 jobs in state (for now). That's 800 people in one company moved out of State.

I don't like seeing these types of jobs leaving our State.
What's more shocking then the lay offs is the fact that they are closing down by 2018. They have been in CT 30 years, have a huge lab/office in Wallingford (beautiful facility) and they are MOVING. A huge company like that CAN move. If these guys can move, what makes say GE stay? Pretty sure some computers and servers are easier to move than a PHARMA Lab.

BI is next or Protein Sciences. One of the articles said consolidation, in terms of location, is hot now. We can't compete with Cambridge.

Old 06-25-2015, 01:30 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,210,606 times
If I grab your throat, and tighten the noose tighter and tighter, would you stay? Govt says "why do you complain? See how healthy you are!! You can afford it".

And the drones regurgitate "kill, kill, kill"

Old 06-25-2015, 05:02 PM

34,068 posts, read 17,096,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I am not going to argue with you on this.
Good move, since I ride it. I'll be on it again Sunday. Best way to NYC.

Old 06-25-2015, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
Have you heard of the PATH? When I was in Jersey City it took me right to the WTC and from there I can go anywhere around the NYC area.
I ride it when I want to go to that end of town. It is terrific. I also use the LIRR, and like that as well.

Old 06-25-2015, 05:05 PM

Quote:
ANYWAY..back on Topic. Kind of wish this was the other way, but it appears CT is losing VERY GOOD paying jobs to Mass, New Jersey & San Fran. Connecticut Researchers Moving to Cambridge as Bristol Myers Squibb Reduces Staff in Wallingford - CTnow

Around 400 people will be either let go or relocated. Also, looks like an additional 400 contractors will be let go. The Wallingford site it to close by 2018, but they said they will keep 400 jobs in state (for now). That's 800 people in one company moved out of State.

That is sad for Ct, but I do hope NJ is getting a healthy chunk of new jobs via this.

Old 06-25-2015, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UconnHusky1 View Post
Not surprised at all; IBM, Sikorsky, GE Capital, Stanley Black & Decker, Aetna, Travelers, Hartford Healthcare.....I'm sure there are many more.
Amen. These multiple concurrent business announcements are unprecedented in Ct history.

Old 06-25-2015, 06:04 PM

1,395 posts, read 1,512,529 times
Report: Bleak job growth outlook for Connecticut

HARTFORD, Conn. (WTNH) — A revised report on Connecticut’s economy gives a bleak picture, with one economist calling it a “kick in the teeth.”

Despite the robust job numbers released by the state Labor Department for the month of May, this report from the UConn Center for Economic Analysis says revised statistics from the federal government show that the state’s economic growth over the past four years has apparently disappeared, and the outlook for the state is bad.

“It’s quite grim,” said Fred Carstensen of the UConn Center for Economic Analysis. “We think that the output of the economy will grow some, but we actually think there’s a real danger that we’re going to lose jobs in Connecticut and it’s going to hinge critically on the decisions that are made in the special session.”

The center says that the tax hikes the legislature approved earlier in June could further stall economic growth. The Governor says there is consensus among legislative leaders to cutback some of those business tax hikes when lawmakers return to Hartford.

Report: Bleak job growth outlook for Connecticut

Old 06-25-2015, 07:22 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,423,376 times
Quote:

Don't expect the trend in biotech/pharma to get any better. BMS will be completely out of CT in the next decade, I would bet money on it. Same with Pfizer, another company that is slowly (or not so slowly) moving jobs out of state and into boston/mass. Ion Torrent in Guildord (now owned by Thermo Fisher) will most likely continue to move operations into SF bay area. Boehringer Ingelheim will either flat out leave or hop on the fade-out-over-time bandwagon. The healthcare and presumably their expensive R&D arms will continue to diminish. I know 2 start ups in New Haven that are leaving ow that they're starting to grow.

Most of the graduates from the genetics program I'm in leave CT (many go to boston or san diego). I will certainly be leaving after graduation-for a plethora of reasons, but dwindling biotech space is def among the top of them.

The worst part about these jobs leaving is that they will NEVER come back. High tech industries like biotech cluster. There is a critical mass needed between talent, opportunity, access to funding, legal services, and strong auxiliary tech companies (IT, high performance computing, healthcare, academic institutions, etc). Every time a company leaves here to go to one of these "tech hubs" that tech hub becomes yet MORE attractive and their gravitational force stronger still. There is a syngergy for sure--making the fight to attract newer companies even more difficult. Look how much we had to overpay for the Jackson Laboratory and that was when CT only looked "kinda bad"....

Old 06-26-2015, 07:11 AM

34,948 posts, read 56,989,667 times
Looks like Aetna may be buying Humana which may (or may not) be a positive for Connecticut. So many conflicting stories going on here. It is a time of great change in the insurance industry. Jay

Report: Aetna Nearing Deal To Buy Humana - Hartford Courant
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut