Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2018, 07:16 AM

4,449 posts, read 3,342,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
NBC went to North Carolina to meet with former CT resident to ask them why they flee the state.

"When Beth Console and her husband made the decision to leave South Windsor for Concord, North Carolina, they joined nearly 30,000 other people who are leaving Connecticut each year.

https://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/...FlowFB_CTBrand
They "fleed" to an inferior town from a superior town in CT AFTER their kids got a way better education, they made lots of money on their jobs in CT lol. And by the way all of these articles always fail to tell the reader what the working status of the person is. I have no idea to know if they are retired or if they got new jobs and what are the salaries on the new jobs. (see CD stats below)

I never read about people with great jobs while their kids are still in school "flee" to inferior towns down south lol.

South Windsor CT
HH Income: $101,217
Median House: $272,194
(It's a hell of lot easier to pay for the house in Windsor with this high salary BTW)
"But they do have less parkland and the student/teacher ratio is higher, 16 to 1 in Concord, compared to 12 to1 in South Windsor"

Concord NC
HH Income: $60,107
Median Home: $197,200
(It's a lot harder to pay for this house with the above salary than in CT unless you took a boat load of money from your northern state) Do you realize how hard it is for the people who have lived their entire lives in Concord NC? And now that all the Yankees are coming down raising the prices of the houses it will be harder still.

They never compare apples to apples in these stories. Besides the information above go look at the demographics too.

Last edited by CTartist; 05-04-2018 at 07:31 AM..

Old 05-04-2018, 07:46 AM

14,044 posts, read 13,917,236 times
At least she close to Charlotte which is way better than Hartford

Old 05-04-2018, 07:48 AM

2,000 posts, read 1,863,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
They "fleed" to an inferior town from a superior town in CT AFTER their kids got a way better education, they made lots of money on their jobs in CT lol. And by the way all of these articles always fail to tell the reader what the working status of the person is. I have no idea to know if they are retired or if they got new jobs and what are the salaries on the new jobs. (see CD stats below)

I never read about people with great jobs while their kids are still in school "flee" to inferior towns down south lol.

South Windsor CT
(It's a hell of lot easier to pay for the house in Windsor with this high salary BTW)
"But they do have less parkland and the student/teacher ratio is higher, 16 to 1 in Concord, compared to 12 to1 in South Windsor"

Concord NC
(It's a lot harder to pay for this house with the above salary than in CT unless you took a boat load of money from your northern state) Do you realize how hard it is for the people who have lived their entire lives in Concord NC? And now that all the Yankees are coming down raising the prices of the houses it will be harder still.

They never compare apples to apples in these stories. Besides the information above go look at the demographics too.
I think the numbers are a bit screwed. Its still better to ask someone that made the move the exact numbers or ask someone that has live there forever vs someone that moved. Its a chart and i will post if i can find it but if 10 people move out of those 10 people 4 will come back and its mostly due to job situations or being honesick

Old 05-04-2018, 07:58 AM

At a Price: Connecticut Property Taxes NBC report about property taxes

https://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/...481303701.html

Old 05-04-2018, 08:06 AM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post

South Windsor CT

Concord NC

You do realize that cost of living is a LOT more than just housing prices, right?

Old 05-04-2018, 08:11 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
At least she close to Charlotte which is way better than Hartford
I disagree. Metro Charlotte is cheaper but also has a lower average pay to go along with that. The education in metro Charlotte is incomparable to the high quality offered in metro Hartford and there is a LOT less to do within a two hour drive of Charlotte than there is within a two hour drive of Hartford. To me this means more than saving a few pennies. Jay

Old 05-04-2018, 08:21 AM

2,000 posts, read 1,863,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I disagree. Metro Charlotte is cheaper but also has a lower average pay to go along with that. The education in metro Charlotte is incomparable to the high quality offered in metro Hartford and there is a LOT less to do within a two hour drive of Charlotte than there is within a two hour drive of Hartford. To me this means more than saving a few pennies. Jay
I have to disagree. You dont even have to go an hour outside of charlotte to get to everything. Mountains and beach of course futher. Carowins is about 10miles from downtown Charlotte. You have major league teams and college teams. The food scene is amazing. Shopping , water activities and all are withing 30mins of downtown Charlotte.

Old 05-04-2018, 08:25 AM

Will CT economy do lot better this year why we are at slow growth in state ?

“Connecticut’s economy shrank in 2017, the second consecutive year the state’s production of goods and services was smaller than in the previous year, the federal government reported Friday.”

As a result, Connecticut ranked 49 among the states in economic growth, or lack of it. Only Louisiana performed worse.

“One bit of good news was that the state’s economy picked up speed toward the end of 2017, expanding by 2.4 percent in the fourth quarter, according to the U.S. Department of Commerce.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.coura...story,amp.html

Old 05-04-2018, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
There some good schools in Metro Charlotte area

Old 05-04-2018, 08:59 AM

1,970 posts, read 2,233,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I agree that pension liabilities are what’s bankrupting the state, but you have to grandfather those in who are already promised. They’ve been paying into it throughout their careers. That teacher or cop relied on the promise of a pension so snagging it from them 20-25 years into a career is arguable more immoral than what’s happening to future generations.
I agree that some grandfathering should happen -- but it needs to be limited in scope.

In the next several years, it will become painfully obvious that well-to-do state public retirees, many living out-of-state, are being funded by the working classes left behind in Connecticut. It is not hard to see how this could become a political hot button.

I would suggest something like what the PBGC does for bankrupt private pensions -- a hard cap on total benefits at some multiple of the minimum wage (say 60,000 per year), and a special tax on public pensions to support the program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut