Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 05:37 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,691,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
Slipperman-

I know what that is---it's an abandoned golf course. The course is now owned by the town of Berlin and is open to the public. There is no golf course there now, it's all overgrown, but is used simply as open space.

The pavement you see is golf cart paths and there may be a few miles or more of them. From what I've heard it's is a really good walk/ hike with interesting terrain and some good views.

For the life of me, the name of the place escapes me, but if you Googled you might be able to find out.
found a year old Courant article that called it Pistol Creek. and the part of it i saw is only half of the entire course. the other half is diagonally across the Savage Hill/Atkins, Spruce Brook intersection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 11:16 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,252,292 times
Mianus River Park in Stamford, CT. Air temp 53-57°. The River is 20 miles long trail from Westchester County through Fairfield dumping into the Long Island Sound. Probably the simplest and most plain hike I've done but was nice as any Fall hike would be.

Old 10-31-2013, 08:56 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,691,069 times
not an official trail i don't think but this is off Miner St a bit down the road and across from the golf course..
Attached Thumbnails
Hiking Trails in Connecticut (Lists, Stories & Pics)-miner_atkins_035a_1500.jpg   Hiking Trails in Connecticut (Lists, Stories & Pics)-miner_atkins_069a_1500.jpg   Hiking Trails in Connecticut (Lists, Stories & Pics)-miner_atkins_077a_1500.jpg   Hiking Trails in Connecticut (Lists, Stories & Pics)-miner_atkins_001a_1200.jpg   Hiking Trails in Connecticut (Lists, Stories & Pics)-miner_atkins_093a_1200.jpg  

Old 02-17-2014, 01:09 PM

Sleeping Giant State Park in Hamden, CT across from Quinnipiac College. 738' at the top.

If you guys haven't gone in the winter, now is the time. It's awesome with the snowpack and landscape. Trail was VERY easy because it's been compacted so much it's practically flat. Shoe traction recommended but not even necessary. I saw young couple, older gentlemen, and a couple with 2 little ones on the trail heading to the Tower. If you want to venture of the main easy trail there are other trails to try.

I posted Photos in the Photo Thread. Here's a couple more.

The parking lot in on the left here, there's restrooms and bulletin board with map of trails.

Attached Thumbnails
Hiking Trails in Connecticut (Lists, Stories & Pics)-062.jpg   Hiking Trails in Connecticut (Lists, Stories & Pics)-004.jpg  

Old 02-17-2014, 06:29 PM

9,753 posts, read 7,463,064 times
I've done Sleeping Giant a few times. Does the rail to trails thing in Trumbull count??

Old 03-27-2014, 11:06 AM

Mt Tom State Park in Litchfield. March 27, 2014. 25° degrees, crystal blue skies from High Pressure overhead. Below normal and crisp morning.

Pond still frozen and the Deepest snow pack at about 700' was 7-9"!
Mostly just 2-4" though and very scattered.

Ironically as you head up the hill there was less snow.

Then got thicker as you kept going up. Notice the mini valley here. South facing side on left. North facing side on right.

Melting and refreezing creates a Slippery slope.

Facing Massachusetts. Down below is the light scattered snowpack which is North Facing on Mt Tom. looking in the distance is south facing and probably why there's no snow.

Old 06-14-2015, 06:40 PM

1,395 posts, read 1,509,973 times
Did a great hike today on the Stony Creek Quarry preserve. Not my picture but was a great hike. Those in the New Haven should check out some of the Branford Land Trust trails.

Branford Land Trust

Ton of history at this quarry.

Stony Creek Granite is part of a Mesozoic era deposit formed between 225 million ad 650 million years ago. Stony Creek granite was first quarried in 1858. Today Stony Creek granite makes up a great deal of New York City’s architectural history, from the pedestal of the Statue of Liberty to the walkways of 42nd St. and 34th St to the prestigious college campus of Columbia University. It has also been integrated into the foundations of many of New York City’s landmarks, such as the Brooklyn Bridge, Grand Central Station, and many New York City Parks. Just as we did over 150 years ago, today we continue to provide substance, structure, and enduring beauty that will last a lifetime.

Old 03-12-2016, 05:46 AM

Cool video I came across showing different state parks in the state and some history on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUkRL8iwH88

Old 03-12-2016, 07:01 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
I love this thread! I got addicted to the Branford Land Trust trails when I lived here in 2012. I ran them frequently and always seemed to find trails I'd never been on. The Trolley Trail at the Shoreline in Branford is a nice easy popular stroll.

Now I'm in Clinton and there are so many trails nearby it's crazy. Every time I go for a drive I see more areas I'd love to explore. I love CT. It's one of the most beautiful states I've ever been to.
Attached Thumbnails
Hiking Trails in Connecticut (Lists, Stories & Pics)-dsc05594.jpg  

Old 03-12-2016, 09:03 AM

1,395 posts, read 1,509,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I love this thread! I got addicted to the Branford Land Trust trails when I lived here in 2012. I ran them frequently and always seemed to find trails I'd never been on. The Trolley Trail at the Shoreline in Branford is a nice easy popular stroll.

Now I'm in Clinton and there are so many trails nearby it's crazy. Every time I go for a drive I see more areas I'd love to explore. I love CT. It's one of the most beautiful states I've ever been to.
You just inspired me to take a hike. I only go on hikes when the heat and humidity is low and today looks great. Never did the Trolley Trail. Going to check it out today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut