Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2013, 07:38 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,361,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxSuns333 View Post
I am new here, I just moved here in September. I really am looking forward to exploring some towns this weekend with my wife. On Saturday we are heading to the Mystic area, and will probably spend the day there and maybe a explore Old Saybrook, East Lyme and possibly even Clinton/Madison (if we have time). On Sunday we'll probably hang tight and just stay local on a Milford trail and explore downtown Milford a little.

I truly do not miss Arizona weather at this time of year. Checking the temps in Phoenix, its been in the high 90s low 100s. Coastal Connecticut weather has been much nicer thus far, and I enjoyed the cold winter much more than the extreme, hot summer of Arizona. To me there is some charm to the cold winters (I know that sounds weird to some), and the fall and spring (so far) has been pretty nice.

Welcome to Connecticut and the East Coast…you’re now on the wet and green side of the mainland – lol.

Yes, the desert can be tough this time of year with the non-stop 100 – 110 F temps. We really don’t have it bad in the Tri-State area climate wise, esp for those who live along the coast (I do as well). We have nice springs (most of the time), a long hot summer that is great for the beach/pool, and LONG falls that last until late mid November. Even winter (when we have a normal/average winter) is really not too hard to take on the coast. We get enough cold weather and occasional snow (which melts quick on the shoreline), but winter doesn’t drag on or get severe like points north (New England/upstate NY/Great Lakes) or in the northern interior (Upper Midwest/Mt West…etc).

Mystic is an interesting and quirky place if you have never been there. Some of the ships and buildings that are part of the Seaport Museum are original from the 1700’s. Mystic was part of the trade and spice routes from the Caribbean and Europe. Make sure you go downtown (near the water); there is much to see and do there. You might also really like Newport, it's a perfect day trip from Milford. Also, if your into the beach (I’m a true beach bum I guess), as nice as the beaches might be in Milford (or anywhere in CT), there nothing compared to the “ocean sea beaches” in Rhode Island and New Jersey. Misqumacut and East Beach in Rhode Island and Island Beach in NJ are amazing - unending miles of crashing surf, towering windswept dunes, and amazing views. Of course the whole East Coast from Key West right to Rhode Island has amazing beaches...and I've been to just about everyone of them

I took this pick of East Beach, RI (exit 92 off I -95 north – about 1.25 hrs from Milford) a few years back on a warm September day:

Old 05-21-2013, 08:34 PM

140 posts, read 259,350 times
Checking out beaches in Rhode Island is definitely on our list of things to do this summer. We have a list of great day trips in Connecticut and Rhode Island planned, and my wife and I are taking a week off towards the end of June to explore northern New England. Thank you for the advice and I can't wait for this weekend (and the summer).

Old 05-22-2013, 03:57 AM

83,511 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Line of storms cut through CT this morning. Pretty much all stations reported lightning at some point. Thunder was heard by many. I did and Had a heavy downpour.

.21" in 20 minutes time.

Old 05-22-2013, 05:43 AM

Default Weekend Weather

Big changes now. Euro and GFS show a coastal storm on Saturday(Rain!) and very cool temps! Euro keeps the rain around for first half of Sunday too. Highs maybe just in 50s. Might have to cover plants at night again to keep them warm.

Stay tuned on that.

Old 05-22-2013, 05:53 AM

11,295 posts, read 18,882,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Big changes now. Euro and GFS show a coastal storm on Saturday(Rain!) and very cool temps! Euro keeps the rain around for first half of Sunday too. Highs maybe just in 50s. Might have to cover plants at night again to keep them warm.

Stay tuned on that.
HMM, I had noticed that the radio (WCBS News Radio 88) said that this morning about this weekend's weather (said rain and high of only 59 for NYC!) but the NWS website (OKX) still insisted on sunny and cool (mid-upper 60s), now I know why the change thanks (I assume later today NWS will say the same ) ! I'm hoping for the nice weather though.....

Old 05-22-2013, 06:14 AM

According to the NWS...., Today should see partly sunny skies and warm to hot, with highs near 80 F and a warm/humid south wind. By Fri – nigh the front should swing though the Tr-State area taking the showers with it….resulting in dry weather, sunshine, and highs near 70 F for the weekend. So it should be pretty nice if they are correct.:

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY
753 AM EDT WED MAY 22 2013

A STALLED FRONT WILL MOVE BACK NORTH AS A WARM FRONT TODAY. A COLD
FRONT WILL THEN SLOWLY APPROACH FROM THE WEST...THEN PASS THROUGH
THURSDAY NIGHT INTO FRIDAY MORNING. CANADIAN HIGH PRESSURE WILL THEN
BUILD IN FOR THE MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND AND EARLY NEXT WEEK.

Point Forecast: Hamden CT
41.38°N 72.9°W
Last Update: 7:16 am EDT May 22, 2013:

•Today: A chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly after noon. Patchy fog before noon. Otherwise, partly sunny, with a high near 81. South wind 7 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

•Tonight: A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Patchy fog after 10pm. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a low around 64. South wind around 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

•Thursday: Showers and thunderstorms likely, mainly after noon. Patchy fog before 9am. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a high near 77. South wind 9 to 13 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

•Thursday Night: Showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm. Some of the storms could produce heavy rain. Cloudy, with a low around 61. South wind 6 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

•Friday: Showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm before noon, then a chance of showers. Some of the storms could produce heavy rain. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 71. South wind around 7 mph becoming west in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

•Saturday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 68.

•Saturday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 46.

• Sunday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 70.

•Memorial Day: Mostly sunny, with a high near 71.

Old 05-22-2013, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
but the NWS website (OKX) still insisted on sunny and cool (mid-upper 60s), now I know why the change thanks (I assume later today NWS will say the same ) ! I'm hoping for the nice weather though.....
Its almost sad in a way the obvious and transparent bias of NOAA/NWS. Seen in all seasons including winter when they hesitate to even say the word snow. This is by far the worst they been. I've watched their forecast stay in the 70s for the weekend while models CLEARLY didnt show that. Now they are slowly dropping it. So much politics involved its sad. Even their discussions they CLEARLY hesitate to use "below normal" but fast to mention the warmth. People are finally catching on.
Keep in mind... some forecasters (who sign the bottom of the discussions) will use a non bias termonology.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:19 AM

11,295 posts, read 18,882,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Its almost sad in a way the obvious and transparent bias of NOAA/NWS. Seen in all seasons including winter when they hesitate to even say the word snow. This is by far the worst they been. I've watched their forecast stay in the 70s for the weekend while models CLEARLY didnt show that. Now they are slowly dropping it. So much politics involved its sad. Even their discussions they CLEARLY hesitate to use "below normal" but fast to mention the warmth. People are finally catching on.
Keep in mind... some forecasters (who sign the bottom of the discussions) will use a non bias termonology.
I have in the past noted to them how quick they were to show a record high but slow to show a record low or record snow (though they,ve gotten better with the latter). I usually get no response back.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:31 AM

I think they (NWS) might mess up forecasts now and then....but I think /and hope they don't have any bias in weather forecasting.

I think the get paid whether it’s sunny or it rains – lol.

Anyway, I checked a few sources, they do show the 70's and 80's being replaced by upper 60's and low 70's in the Tri-State area for this Monday:

Last edited by wavehunter007; 05-22-2013 at 09:20 AM..

Old 05-22-2013, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxSuns333 View Post
Checking out beaches in Rhode Island is definitely on our list of things to do this summer. We have a list of great day trips in Connecticut and Rhode Island planned, and my wife and I are taking a week off towards the end of June to explore northern New England. Thank you for the advice and I can't wait for this weekend (and the summer).
You really should, the beaches in Rhode Island are really nice. They have some of the best white sand and clear water you'll see above South Carolina on the East Coast. The weekdays are a good time as the weekend crowd is often at work.

I don't get up north that much (northern New England/Boston/NH/ME) but the mts are nice in the fall when the leaves change. The ocean however, it way to cold from Boston northward to ever go in. Swimming in Florida in 80 F + water has made my blood thin - lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut