Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 09:18 PM

55 posts, read 161,532 times

Advertisements

Quintessential Upper West Sider would like to know what people consider to be most/least desirable neighborhoods in Westport and Darien.

Best scenario: proper buffer from highways; convenience; privacy; friendly, educated, open-minded neighbors; zoned for good elementary school; good house layout and decent size lot. Walkability to town would be a cherry on the cake.

Nightmare scenarios: (a) decrepit, smelly split level on a busy state road--better yet, near a gas station -- zoned for a struggling school, no safe place for kids to play, a tiny lot and weird, dirty or loud neighbors; (b) isolated house with stone-faced, closed-in or bigoted neighbors who don't wave back.

Any ideas? Any NYC transplant care to share their experience with either community?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 10:09 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,055,508 times
I think you should find a good realtor. You can find what you want in almost any section of Westport or Darien. Use Trulia or Zillow so you can map the houses for sale and determine if they're far enough away from the main arteries (95, 1, and 15). Better have a big budget, what you want is typically 7 figures in those towns. I personally prefer Westport over Darien, especially if you have a budget under $1,000,000.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerro Toco View Post
zoned for a struggling school, no safe place for kids to play, a tiny lot and weird, dirty or loud neighbors;
NOT gonna happen.

Last edited by Stylo; 02-27-2012 at 10:20 PM..

Old 02-28-2012, 04:55 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,186,278 times
You put a cherry on top of cake?

Why don't you find a house you like, check it out on a map, and go visit it? I don't mean to sound rude, but we're not going to give you a list of 100 neighborhoods you should consider.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:58 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
Westport and Darien are upscale suburban towns with excellent schools and a lot of great family neighborhoods. It would be hard to name particular areas to consider. In Darien, you can look at homes in the center of town or in the Noroton Heights area. In Westport, you can look in Westport Center or Saugatuck. You will need to visit the towns and some homes there to determine what is best for you. Hopefully you have a good sized budget since these towns are pretty pricey. Jay

Old 02-28-2012, 04:49 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,132,512 times
Having lived in Westport in the eighties and early nineties and again today, I can tell you there are really no "areas" that are more desirable than others-- only homes in those areas. Every area of Westport is lovely, with a mixture of housing stock-- from 3/2 ranches to multi-million dollar 7 bedroom mini-estates. Get a realtor and go look. If you shake a tree in Westport a realtor falls out, so this shouldn't be difficult. I've lived on the Fairfield Border, the Norwalk border and smack in the middle of town. I've been happy everywhere-- and no part of town is more than 10 minutes away.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:44 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Having lived in Westport in the eighties and early nineties and again today, I can tell you there are really no "areas" that are more desirable than others-- only homes in those areas. Every area of Westport is lovely, with a mixture of housing stock-- from 3/2 ranches to multi-million dollar 7 bedroom mini-estates. Get a realtor and go look. If you shake a tree in Westport a realtor falls out, so this shouldn't be difficult. I've lived on the Fairfield Border, the Norwalk border and smack in the middle of town. I've been happy everywhere-- and no part of town is more than 10 minutes away.
You forget the stunning but hidden waterfront estates in Green Farms which are not "mini" by any stretch of the imagination. They are the real thing. Jay

Old 03-01-2012, 08:48 PM

680 posts, read 1,575,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
If you shake a tree in Westport a realtor falls out, so this shouldn't be difficult.
That quote made my day! ROFL!

But isn't Saugatuck more blue collar than other sections especially on sunrise rd? But millionaire houses started popping out anyway so transformation may be underway.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:48 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,132,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
You forget the stunning but hidden waterfront estates in Green Farms which are not "mini" by any stretch of the imagination. They are the real thing. Jay
Beachside Road? Home of Phil and Marlo, and previous home to Don Imus? The real West Egg? Yup it's the real thing. However, if the OP is moving there, they don't need my help!

Old 03-03-2012, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
You put a cherry on top of cake?

Why don't you find a house you like, check it out on a map, and go visit it? I don't mean to sound rude, but we're not going to give you a list of 100 neighborhoods you should consider.
Thanks. I have made this mistake before. A drive through a neighborhood with a realtor will reveal obvious shortcomings (dirty, busy, etc.), but will not give the perspective of a person who has lived in the town and knows what is considered more and less desirable, and thus the appreciation potential and other such intangibles.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konig1985 View Post
That quote made my day! ROFL!

But isn't Saugatuck more blue collar than other sections especially on sunrise rd?

Thank you! This is precisely the kind of detail I'm looking for. If anyone has any similar input, I would love to hear it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut