Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 11:49 AM

21,782 posts, read 28,131,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving3! View Post
Hi, I wanted to post a ?, but its not accepting new enteries in Ffld Cty. Our family is Catholic and considering a move to either Darien or Westport. Husband commuting to NYC. I was told Darien is ubber snobby and unfriendly and that we wouldn't fit in in Westport if we weren't Jewish (that even though our religion shouldn't matter there it does). Any suggestions? We're trying to keep commute short as possible so didn't want to go to New Canaan. Please help! Thank you
New Canaan commute is about the same as Westport. Maybe a couple minutes longer.

Darien does tend to be snobby, but so does Westport and New Canaan. How could they not? They're some of the wealthiest suburbs in the world. Darien has a reputation of having more of that than others though. There are nice people in all towns though, but there are also lots of materialistic, uppity people. Religion should have NOTHING to do with your decision. It's true that Westport may have more of a Jewish community than Darien, but it's far from predominant.

If you're really looking for a more down-to-earth atmosphere, maybe consider Fairfield or Wilton. It does make your commute longer though.

Out of Darien, New Canaan and Westport - I'd personally choose New Canaan or Westport, just because I like the town centers so much more. Westport has nice beaches too, and I'm a shore person, but YMMV.

Darien definitely has the shortest commute though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2012, 09:41 PM

34,958 posts, read 57,016,055 times
I know Catholics that live in Westport and fit in. In fact the town has a large Italian Festival every year which I think is run by one of th Catholic churches. As for Darien, 50 years ago religion may have been an issue but today I highly doubt it. at least I do not see it. Jay

Old 04-15-2012, 07:18 PM

55 posts, read 161,733 times
Default Religion has little to do with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I As for Darien, 50 years ago religion may have been an issue but today I highly doubt it. at least I do not see it. Jay
That's right, it's not the religion (at least not in the Judeo-Christian range). It's whether you're from there.

If you're not from there, you're second class and the local paper will refer to you as "new arrivals" sapping away town resources. Make plans now to fawn to get into the social clubs and the birthday parties, and don't forget to sign up for the 10-year waitlist for the town parking permit as soon as you close on the house.

You can redeem your lack of pedigree with money to some extent: there will always be a sufficient number of people willing to drink your wine to make you feel like you have some friends. Just don't spoil it for yourself by throwing a party on the same night as a true Darienite--you'll be eating leftover catering for the next two weeks.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:49 AM

34,958 posts, read 57,016,055 times
Come on now. There are more than enough new people moving into Darien to avoid having to "fawn" over the old timers. I think you need to stop trying to fit into a certain group and try finding your own group. The situation you describe is so (for lack of a better term) "high school". Join a newcomers club. Get out and meet people by joining different activities. You will make friends. Darien is not a small exclusive club. Jay

Old 04-17-2012, 02:34 PM

12 posts, read 71,470 times
Cerro Toco, Where did you end up? Westport or Darien? From your last post I thought Darien instead of Westport. Doesn't sound like your thrilled with Darien... is this accurate?

Old 04-19-2012, 08:29 PM

55 posts, read 161,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Come on now. There are more than enough new people moving into Darien to avoid having to "fawn" over the old timers. I think you need to stop trying to fit into a certain group and try finding your own group. The situation you describe is so (for lack of a better term) "high school". Join a newcomers club. Get out and meet people by joining different activities. You will make friends. Darien is not a small exclusive club. Jay
It IS high school, only more nefarious. Newcomers club is cliquey, too. Of course it's possible to find people to talk to from time to time. However, by and large this is a hermetic community and quiet exclusion is the norm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut