Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 02:40 PM

37 posts, read 121,963 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering a move up to CT and are wondering what are the most desirable/family-friendly/affordable towns that are still commutable to Stamford...where he'd be working. Affordability and good school are very important to us as we have 2 children and want to be able to provide them with a nice home and a great education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 02:43 PM

21,769 posts, read 28,102,272 times
Depends on what you consider affordable and what you want to pay for rent or for buying a home.

Old 02-08-2012, 02:47 PM

We're currently in Southern Westchester County where the taxes are crazy...so probably lots in CT would be more affordable than here. We'd hope to buy a home in the $600-$650k range

Old 02-08-2012, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsaycg View Post
We're currently in Southern Westchester County where the taxes are crazy...so probably lots in CT would be more affordable than here. We'd hope to buy a home in the $600-$650k range
In that range I would start your search in Fairfield and then go north and east from there a bit. Fairfield, Easton, Trumbull and Milford would be my personal top choices for a Stamford commute. They're in order of affordability as I listed them. IE, Fairfield is the most expensive, an you'll get the most home for the money in Milford.

The easiest commutes will be from train station towns if you can find a home near the stations. It's about 25 minutes from Fairfield and 35 minutes from Milford.

If you can't take the train, unfortunately that limits your options greatly given the extreme amount of traffic. That is, unless you're OK with a long, slow drive. If not, I'd even consider Norwalk or Stamford itself. Even though they're expensive, a car commute from any further would be maddening. Stamford's schools are generally better, though. $600k buys you surprisingly little there though.

Old 02-08-2012, 03:33 PM

Thanks! We actually looked at Trumbull a while back and are considering revisiting it. We've also been looking in Ridgefield. We're not familiar with Milford at all. We're looking for a place where people are actually nice, considerate and friendly. Unfortunately we've found the overcrowding in S. Westchester to lead to aggressive and rude people. A few people have also mentioned Fairfield. Out of Trumbull, Ridgefield, Milford and Fairfield what area is the most family-friendly? We will have a 2nd car so my husband could drive to Stamford. Thanks again for your help!

Old 02-08-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Thanks! We actually looked at Trumbull a while back and are considering revisiting it. We've also been looking in Ridgefield. We're not familiar with Milford at all. We're looking for a place where people are actually nice, considerate and friendly. Unfortunately we've found the overcrowding in S. Westchester to lead to aggressive and rude people. A few people have also mentioned Fairfield. Out of Trumbull, Ridgefield, Milford and Fairfield what area is the most family-friendly? We will have a 2nd car so my husband could drive to Stamford. Thanks again for your help!
Spending a ton of time in the Westport area, I absolutely side with you on people's attitudes.

That's a tough question as far as family friendliness and finding nice people. I've found most people in Fairfield to be pretty friendly, but you do get a little of the snooty crowd - especially on the western end of town. Trumbull is a friendly town. Milford actually exceeded my expectations in how friendly a CT town could be when I moved here from the Danbury area, and there are always family activities on the green and whatnot. That and tons of beaches, playgrounds, parks and whatnot. Lots of stuff to do, same with Fairfield. Trumbull is more subdued, but I'm sure there's plenty of family activities to seek out. Ridgefield, beautiful town - but I've never known it to be a super grounded place. My girlfriend works there and deals with a lot of snobby/rude people every day. My parents lived there when it was a much more down-to-earth place to live, but now it's been overtaken with the typical southern FFC/Westchester attitude. It can also be a rough Stamford commute, depending on where in town you are.

Is the train an option? If it is, I'd much rather take the train from, say, Fairfield or Milford than drive from Ridgefield. You could take the train from Branchville, but it's slower and much less frequent than the main New Haven line.

Old 02-08-2012, 04:51 PM

1,418 posts, read 3,456,843 times
Ridgefield definitely, especially in your budget. Frankly I'd drive to Stamford from Ridgefield over trying to come down 95 or the Merritt. You take back roads through Northern Stamford down Long Ridge or High Ridge in Stamford to where you need to be. Traffic is not bad and it's a nice relaxing trip, especially when compared with the highways to Stamford from points east. I lived off exit 14 on 95 and commuted to Stamford, took me 40 minutes some days, to go like 8 miles. Bumper to bumper. My trip from northern Ridgefield to downtown Stamford was about 50 minutes and worth every minute to live out in the country in a family friendly town with great schools.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:44 PM

train is most definitely an option. and happy to hear the different views and opinions of these towns. what are the schools like in milford? we're looking to improve our overall quality of life as currently we are stuck in the Manhattan grind which leaves very little time for family. would love to find a place with great public outdoor spaces (beaches, lakes, ponds, parks, etc.) but at the same time love having accessibility to shops and restaurants.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:42 PM

Quote:
train is most definitely an option. and happy to hear the different views and opinions of these towns. what are the schools like in milford? we're looking to improve our overall quality of life as currently we are stuck in the Manhattan grind which leaves very little time for family. would love to find a place with great public outdoor spaces (beaches, lakes, ponds, parks, etc.) but at the same time love having accessibility to shops and restaurants.
Elementary and middle schools are above average and rated pretty well. High schools are about average or slightly above average for CT (Foran is best ranked and also serves most of the better real estate in town). I'm in the camp that says that everyone's school experience is different and averages don't say everything. From real people I know that send their kids there, they're very happy. But they won't match the rankings of Ridgefield or Fairfield, partly because they're wealthier towns. Parents tend to push their kids harder in those communities. But you're also getting much more house for your money, a 35 minute train commute, tons of activities for kids, a vibrant walkable downtown/harbor/green, tons of shopping and restaurants (and easy access to New Haven - CT's best nightlife, restaurant and culture scene), the most shoreline in CT with tons of beaches, parks, etc.

Fairfield offers much of that too and I highly recommend it if you can find a house you like in your budget.

I just don't feel like you're describing Ridgefield in what you want. I grew up in that area and know it well.

Definitely visit the towns and their centers at some point as they have very different feels. Trumbull and Ridgefield have a tree-lined, quaint New England feel and tend slightly more rural, whereas towns like Fairfield and Milford have sections like that - but overall are more New England coastal and vibrant in their feel. Check out the images on Google for their respective town centers:

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=is...w=1675&bih=901
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=is...w=1675&bih=901
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=is...33l487l2.3l5l0

(Not the best indication, I know. Also worth checking out the Wikipedia pages for these towns as they have photos and info)

Trumbull doesn't really have a town center/downtown, but it sounds like you've visited already?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arielmina View Post
Frankly I'd drive to Stamford from Ridgefield over trying to come down 95 or the Merritt.
I agree, but I think I'd take the New Haven line train over either.

Last edited by Stylo; 02-08-2012 at 11:02 PM..

Old 02-09-2012, 06:00 AM

21,627 posts, read 31,221,057 times
I can't say I'd recommend Milford in this case. On days when there is traffic (if you drive), you're looking at well over an hour to Milford. It's a tough and stressful commute. Train is an option, but again, that's not an easy commute - drive to the station, get on the train and commute from the train to the office. It's easy to recommend, but a PITA to do on a daily basis (unless you live next to the Milford station and work next to the Stamford station).

In your price range, I'd suggest you look at Wilton, Ridgefield, Fairfield and perhaps even Easton. Your price range is limited but in today's market there are tons of deals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut