Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 06:41 PM

331 posts, read 639,557 times

Advertisements

As some of you may know, I currently live in Middletown and work in Bristol. I'm going to be switching back to a job in NYC, though, starting in March. We've previously lived in Northern NJ and Southeastern PA, but I'd like to keep as many options open as possible.

A bit about us:
Early 30s (wow that went fast..), 2 kids. One is almost school age, the other is a toddler. We have a dog who enjoys running around at the Rocky Hill dog park right now. I like going down to Rocky Neck for the sound. We do make semi-frequent trips to the Mohegan Sun.

I want to be able to get to Grand Central within an hour (work is only a couple minute walk from there), so this really only seems to leave towns below Darien. That said, some seem to be more expensive than others, and the traffic seems to be hit or miss. I drive to the Darien station now when I want to go into NYC, so I know that train ride pretty well.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of the towns below the Darien station? Right now we're going to rent. I want to make sure the commute works out well for us before I buy.

Laces out, Dan!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 07:14 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,625,453 times
Since the question is inevitably coming.. what's your budget?

Old 02-03-2012, 09:49 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
Not to question your decision on the move but it sounds like you like where you currently live which is definitely suburban. One of the problems with working in New York is that to continue to live that lifestyle gets very expensive particularly if you want to stay in Connecticut.

Lower Fairfield County is one of the most expensive parts of the country, so you need to expect to pay a lot more for housing. Darien and Greenwich are two of the most desirable and pricey towns in the country. Stamford is a large city and has some very nice neighborhoods. It is not as expensive as Darien or greenwich but its schools (which it sounds like will soon become an issue) have some issues.

All that said, you might want to reconsider the job change if that is possible. Over the years I had several opportunities in NYC but I felt that the quality of life my family would have would not be worth it. I would be spending long hours commuting thus missing out on family activities. We would probably have a smaller home in a more congested area. Not what I wanted for my family. Of course New York is the greatest city in the world and has so much to offer. You may feel differently than I did. Good luck, Jay

Old 02-04-2012, 09:27 AM

I would agree with your assessment. We're not city folk, but there are perks we will get from this job (like more flexibility to work remote) that we just don't get at my current gig. Add to that the ginormous salary increase and you have a tough opportunity to turn down. I actually worked at the same place before I came here to CT.

We aren't going to be NYC lifers, that's for sure, but right now we're not finding good enough quality in jobs around our current home.

To the other poster, budget isn't a large concern. We've gone through pretty much all of the towns from Fairfield to central NJ and are looking at why particular areas are more than others. For example, in some cases in NJ, it seems to be based on school district alone.

Old 02-04-2012, 10:37 AM

156 posts, read 277,956 times
If your budget isn't a concern then you want Greenwich all the way.

Old 02-04-2012, 11:17 AM

Why Greenwich over Darien or Stamford?

Old 02-04-2012, 09:06 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchawg View Post
I would agree with your assessment. We're not city folk, but there are perks we will get from this job (like more flexibility to work remote) that we just don't get at my current gig. Add to that the ginormous salary increase and you have a tough opportunity to turn down. I actually worked at the same place before I came here to CT.

We aren't going to be NYC lifers, that's for sure, but right now we're not finding good enough quality in jobs around our current home.

To the other poster, budget isn't a large concern. We've gone through pretty much all of the towns from Fairfield to central NJ and are looking at why particular areas are more than others. For example, in some cases in NJ, it seems to be based on school district alone.
As long as the "ginormus" salary increase is not going to be eaten up by housing costs. In Connecticut location and school district reputation is important. While Stamford is closer to major employment than say Westport, the reputation of the school district makes it less desirable. To meet you travel time criteria to Manhattan, you are going to have to be in Greenwich, Darien or New Canaan. Beyond these towns you will be traveling longer than an hour.

As to your comments on New Jersey, one of the bigest problems with commuting from NJ into Manhattan is that many trains require you to switch trains to cross under the Hudson River. This makes what should be a shorter commute longer. Otherwise there are many very nice towns to consider there. Jay

Old 02-05-2012, 11:28 AM

Yeah, I'm not going to disclose the actual salary, but it's more than enough to cover housing. We used to live in NJ, so I'm familiar with the various commutes. I don't really think any commute into NYC (even in BK) is good. I'm just trying to figure out where we can be happiest while I work there.

I should also mention that snobbery is not something we enjoy. We're from a small town originally, so the more down to earth, the better.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:37 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,854,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchawg View Post
We're from a small town originally, so the more down to earth, the better.

That's going to be difficult to find in your target area. Between Greenwich, Darien, Stamford and New Canaan, NC people would be closest to being "down to earth", but even that's a bit of a stretch. Stamford's "middle-class" neighborhoods really seemed to (unfortunately)change during the real estate bubble. Large influx of hubristic NY'ers living the faux lifestyle.

Old 02-05-2012, 07:48 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,396,090 times
Simple rule

NYC job offer=
300k minimum or don't even think about if you have a family.

I wouldn't stay in CT if you're looking to commute to nyc everyday. No real reason to. Get as close as possible. Look at lower westchester county(rye/mamaroneck ect.) or if you're absolutely set on ct...greenwich at the farthest if you want to make the commute liveable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut