Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2018, 05:04 PM

712 posts, read 530,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Nice! Sometimes that's all you need to do with Bears. Poor thing, I'd be like, "Hiiiii there, let me see what I have for you". #MyTeddyBear
That's exactly what that guy did in Alaska who got killed and eaten along with his girlfriend. Google the "grizzly man". He had pet names for all his "teddy bears" in Alaska. It's a wild animal and should not be approached or fed. It's not a teddy bear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2018, 09:35 AM

8,497 posts, read 4,558,569 times
People need to leave wild animals alone and avoid interaction. It would prevent a lot of problems.

Did anyone see what several idiots in Vermont did this past week? A moose swam across Lake Champlain onto Hero, VT. Many people crowded it to get closer and snap photos. It spooked the already exhausted (from the long lake crossing) moose who jumped back into the lake to get away and eventually drowned.

Old 09-06-2018, 11:28 AM

331 posts, read 207,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
People need to leave wild animals alone and avoid interaction. It would prevent a lot of problems.

Did anyone see what several idiots in Vermont did this past week? A moose swam across Lake Champlain onto Hero, VT. Many people crowded it to get closer and snap photos. It spooked the already exhausted (from the long lake crossing) moose who jumped back into the lake to get away and eventually drowned.
That’s heartbreaking.

Old 09-06-2018, 12:55 PM

105 posts, read 225,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post

So how exactly do you propose that people just leave wild bears alone when the bears are walking around in your neighborhood and yard regularly? Seems like the only logical answer from that line of reasoning is to move away if the bears regularly roam your neighborhood (which they do in many parts of CT).

And if your answer is, "Well just leave them alone when you see them walk into your yard or driveway" - come on, now. If they're living where you live and regularly walking where you and your kid walk, you can't actually leave them alone, even if you want to.

My point: even DEEP is strongly recommending a controlled bear hunt in CT. That should tell you something.

Old 09-07-2018, 03:21 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,629,074 times
I don't really want more hunting in CT. It's a small state and I'd rather encounter a black bear in the woods (or my back yard) than someone hunting.

The other thing is "a host of studies show that hunting does nothing to resolve human-bear conflicts; hunters target bears in the woods, not the ones causing problems near human habitation" (What to Do About Black Bears : The Humane Society of the United States).

Old 09-07-2018, 03:42 PM

898 posts, read 597,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nico7 View Post
I don't really want more hunting in CT. It's a small state and I'd rather encounter a black bear in the woods (or my back yard) than someone hunting.

The other thing is "a host of studies show that hunting does nothing to resolve human-bear conflicts; hunters target bears in the woods, not the ones causing problems near human habitation" (What to Do About Black Bears : The Humane Society of the United States).

How many times per year do you encounter a hunter in the woods? You probably see more hunters at Cumby's at 5am getting a coffee and a danish than you ever see in the woods.

Now you do understand that bears are very territorial. The dominant bears in the woods, or the mama bear sending the juvenile bear packing because she has a new cub, puts the less dominant bears searching for a new territory, often in suburban residential areas.... Harvest one bear from the "woods", opens up territory for a different bear.

You do know what DEEP does with a problem bear, right? They trap it then jab it with a needle attached to a pole to kill it, then throw the carcass in a pit with the roadkill deer. They don't relocate them anymore.... only becomes another neighborhood's problem bear if they do.

I live in New Britain....we have bears HERE....

Old 09-07-2018, 03:59 PM

712 posts, read 530,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG2 View Post
How many times per year do you encounter a hunter in the woods? You probably see more hunters at Cumby's at 5am getting a coffee and a danish than you ever see in the woods.

Now you do understand that bears are very territorial. The dominant bears in the woods, or the mama bear sending the juvenile bear packing because she has a new cub, puts the less dominant bears searching for a new territory, often in suburban residential areas.... Harvest one bear from the "woods", opens up territory for a different bear.

You do know what DEEP does with a problem bear, right? They trap it then jab it with a needle attached to a pole to kill it, then throw the carcass in a pit with the roadkill deer. They don't relocate them anymore.... only becomes another neighborhood's problem bear if they do.

I live in New Britain....we have bears HERE....
Many of these people would rather deep let a problem bear go so it can continue to rampage. Hell some of these fanatics would want a man killing bear let go being so stupid as to not understand that once a mammal "learns" how easy it is to kill a person they will then start targeting people as their primary prey.

The guy gives the humane society as a link for info on black bear hunting. I'm sure they don't have any agenda

Simple math: Less bears = less chance of an attack/conflict of any kind. For example, when there were no bears in CT, there was no conflict. The higher the population of bears rises the greater the increased risk of conflict is. If we have 500 bears we would have more conflict state wide on average than if we have 50. This is very simple to understand.

Whether hunting would have that effect is a matter of the bag limit. If the bag limit isn't high enough to lower concentrations of black bears than obviously you won't see reduced conflict. If it is high enough than you will see a reduction in conflict. I say just euthanize all of them humanely and be done with it in one year rather than trying to turn a very suburban tiny state into a game reserve. I don't hate bears. I don't even like seeing them shot(or other animals). I just understand reality. There's no reason for CT to be bear county. New britian, bristol are not the wilderness. This is really ridiculous.

Old 09-07-2018, 05:22 PM

4,317 posts, read 4,205,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nico7 View Post

Bear hunting is just one of the components of wildlife management. There are several components. Not sure why you need studies like this — hunters don’t know problem bears. DEEP knows (not all). Hunters simply reduce the overall number of bears. It’s not that hard to understand — we have x sq miles of habitat, divided by x sq miles/per bear = number of bears habitat can support. Anything over that you can’t have. Unless of course you could return developed areas back into nature.

Old 09-07-2018, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG2 View Post

People hunt on my residential property without my permission, which I will call an "encounter." So I don't have to go to Cumby's to find them, they come to me about 4-5 times per year. Usually it's the shooting I hear. Last week found a spent shotgun shell, although it's probably not fresh.

Old 09-07-2018, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondtheHorizon View Post
Many of these people would rather deep let a problem bear go so it can continue to rampage. Hell some of these fanatics would want a man killing bear let go being so stupid as to not understand that once a mammal "learns" how easy it is to kill a person they will then start targeting people as their primary prey.
I stated a preference that had nothing to do with man-killing bears. I would rather have bears than hunters in the woods and in my yard. It's a factual statement.

Last edited by nico7; 09-07-2018 at 05:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut