Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2015, 06:06 AM

62 posts, read 86,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
Bear Mace is really not necessary IF you are educated..Observe your surroundings..Bear Poop..or claw markings..But then again those markings only mean they are marking for fellow bears during mating season..NOT towards humans!! Mating Season is Mainly Late May thru to early July..SO after that..no bear venturing into YOUR space is NOT local...IF that creates issues..maybe Information/Education will help you decide where you want to live..Good luck with that venture..

Move..Then there's alligators..then move again then there are other critters..

Puleeze..Education actually allows you to LEARN..NOT assume anything..Black bears are more afraid of YOU than visa Versa...If you hear summation..make a noise..believe me..critters will TAKE OFF. whether bears or Raccoons...

Especially if Bears wander into your neighbourhood...They are wandering to seek food lacking in their environment..So ONLY to seek sustenance ( not to eat humans) {{BTW Black Bears are herbivores ( not meat eaters)}}..Not unlike starving human's looking for food in dumpsters..

Anyway.. IF you wish to fear something that actually only hurts/threatens humans at the rate of .001%..May I suggest you never leave your home nor leave any garbage on your porch..AS Just maybe..scavenger's might want what you Throw out??

Fear of things you have no instruction/information/educations about and believe fear things pro,oted.. That's basically on you...There really is nothing better than educations in order to protect oneself..Killing or shooting at something you are afraid of isn't always the answer...And hey..You may kill a frield, neighbour ..It's not like it hasn't happened before??
Partial credit: Bears are omnivores, not herbivores. And some coming into neighborhoods are there because they've become opportunists, people food is easier than foraging if you can flip a garbage can or raid a bird feeder.

As for bear mace, it is effective IF you know how to use it, but a loud noise is usually enough deterrent. Best rule of thumb when encountering a bear:

1) Don't run, stand your ground
2) give it room to leave and dont provoke it
3) If it's a sow with cubs, leave the area, and refer to number one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2015, 02:59 PM

83,502 posts, read 75,252,292 times
Cool! Bob Cats in Wilton this past February.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ay2M0ecmPFY

Old 08-07-2015, 03:13 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,154,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tengushark View Post
Partial credit: Bears are omnivores, not herbivores. And some coming into neighborhoods are there because they've become opportunists, people food is easier than foraging if you can flip a garbage can or raid a bird feeder.

As for bear mace, it is effective IF you know how to use it, but a loud noise is usually enough deterrent. Best rule of thumb when encountering a bear:

1) Don't run, stand your ground
2) give it room to leave and dont provoke it
3) If it's a sow with cubs, leave the area, and refer to number one
How do you do number 3 and refer to number 1 at the same time?

Old 08-29-2015, 06:41 PM

442 posts, read 455,593 times
I can't believe no one has mentioned the bear encounter in Burlington yesterday. Now that's scary.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7JTvXB53CE

Old 08-29-2015, 08:26 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
I don't think I would be smiling about this. The trail has been closed and DEEP is trying to find the bear because he should not be approaching humans.

Also someone I know in Simsbury went out to their garage and found a bear sitting on their car. They just shooed the bear away and it slowly lumbered off. Not something I would want to do but that is what can happen when you leave your garage door open. Jay

Old 08-29-2015, 10:37 PM

9,909 posts, read 7,691,289 times
I hope they don't euthanize that bear in Session Woods

Old 08-30-2015, 04:30 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,376,011 times
They have spotted Bear, Moose, Bobcat and a Coyote in my neighborhood......the only thing I've spotted in my yard was Deer, Rabbit Fox, and we did have the Coyote pay a brief visit...neighbor saw the Bobcat

Old 08-30-2015, 05:43 AM

2,918 posts, read 3,229,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
They have spotted Bear, Moose, Bobcat and a Coyote in my neighborhood......the only thing I've spotted in my yard was Deer, Rabbit Fox, and we did have the Coyote pay a brief visit...neighbor saw the Bobcat
That's pretty much what has showed up in our backyard too - plus a fisher cat once two years ago. Bear have been spotted in my town, but I have yet to personally see one here yet. I don't recall ever hearing of a moose sighting in my town, but I do know they have been spotted nearby -- in Danbury near I-84 and one running around downtown New Milford 2 or 3 years ago.
Our neighbor, who is retired Air Force and a retired commercial pilot, and who is originally from/grew up in a western state, claims to have seen a mountain lion dart across Milltown Road one morning a few summers ago, and I tend to believe his account because he's just a really good/straight shooter/no no-nonsense type of man who knows his stuff. (Milltown is the road that connects New Fairfield to Route 22 in NY.). His sighting happened on the NY side of Milltown, but still that's only a couple of miles away from here... It was a little unnerving when he told us about it-- his wife walks the neighborhood with a group of women every morning, and they stopped doing that for a little while immediately after.

Last edited by Lalalally; 08-30-2015 at 05:58 AM..

Old 08-30-2015, 06:44 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,894,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Scorcho View Post
I can't believe no one has mentioned the bear encounter in Burlington yesterday. Now that's scary.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7JTvXB53CE
WTH is wrong with people?! That woman is an idiot. She was clearly scaring the bear and provoking it by "walking with it" as she says, she should have left it alone. People like that should just stay home behind closed doors. Now this bear will be shot and killed because she thought it was okay to taunt it. People disgust me. "I got out alive". More's the pity!

Old 08-30-2015, 11:15 AM

6,571 posts, read 4,964,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
I hope they don't euthanize that bear in Session Woods
Have you been in their building? I was there for a workshop in the spring and it was amazing. Unfortunately the exhibit rooms were dark except for what came in the windows, but I did checkout the bobcat and fisher cat exhibits.

There are a lot of mountain bike/hiking trails there as well.

I heard they shut down the area to look for the bear. I'm a little out of the loop due to a big job this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
WTH is wrong with people?! That woman is an idiot. She was clearly scaring the bear and provoking it by "walking with it" as she says, she should have left it alone. People like that should just stay home behind closed doors. Now this bear will be shot and killed because she thought it was okay to taunt it. People disgust me. "I got out alive". More's the pity!
Thanks for posting that. I agree - first class idiot! Those are not full grown are they? So it's possible there was an adult bear nearby?

I have a friend in Collinsville who video'd one in his backyard last week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut