Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 11:00 AM

6,776 posts, read 13,569,572 times

Advertisements

I use Microsoft Word for Mac and have never had a problem. I find Macs much easier to use than Windows.

Old 07-08-2010, 11:59 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,126,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runningncircles1 View Post
And...? That isn't amazing. I've ran 3 OSes on a machine before (PC). It isn't impossible
You don't want to know how many OSes I've had on a single machine before.

As a hint, though: I found that you can install Solaris 7/x86 and FreeBSD on primary partitions on a second or even third SCSI drive and still boot them using System Commander as the primary boot menu, and I had a mix of System Commander, IBM's Boot Manager, and LILO running on that box (though the LILO installations were mainly in the boot sectors of the various Linux distros I was running and not really boot managers per se).

That was important because the Windows and DOS installations, IBM's Boot Manager, Solaris, and FreeBSD *all* require primary partitions, and the typical PC architecture is limited to four primary partitions (or three primaries and one extended which can be further subdivided) per physical disk, meaning you can't stick them all on one disk. That don't work...

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
How about we think back to when we got our first Windows box... was it easy to use?
Actually, Windows/286 2.1 wasn't too bad, but (1) it didn't have much software available for it that a home user could afford, and (2) the MS Executive wasn't the most intuitive filemanager in the world.

Then again, I already had tons of experience with MS-DOS and various other operating systems on other people's boxes, so the learning curve for me wasn't that great. I didn't get my own PC until 1988, tho. Before that, I'd used PCs in college that belonged to friends. MS-DOS (or PC-DOS) wasn't that large a jump from ProDOS or VMS in many respects.

My first Mac experience was a Mac in the college library in 1986 or 87, and I loved using it, but I didn't have to configure it or install software. That didn't happen until I started using a Mac IIci with System 7 at work in 1993. I loved System 7, and I loved my Mac IIci. I still have that box at home.

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 07-23-2010 at 10:12 PM..

Old 07-21-2010, 09:50 PM

11 posts, read 18,511 times
ahhh how bout upgrading hardware on a mac bought wat u get , get wat u got....and thats it ! wat about overclocking , wat about going wherever u feel doing watever u like , without hassle , like your mom (apple) holding your hand.....ther for babys , or just plain lockdown (JAIL)

- my freinds apple that costs 4 timez mor than my PC.....is NOW A SLOW GAMER............1 crappy year later........that sux for him........not for me...now mine runs circles around his.....DUAL crossfire GPU Upgrade Smokes any modern day Mac...at a decimal fraction of the cost of a new apple/mac......i guess i could afford to buy a new Apple every year....but im not dumb

Old 07-21-2010, 10:03 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,029,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woi2ld View Post
ahhh how bout upgrading hardware on a mac bought wat u get , get wat u got....and thats it ! wat about overclocking , wat about going wherever u feel doing watever u like , without hassle , like your mom (apple) holding your hand.....ther for babys , or just plain lockdown (JAIL)

- my freinds apple that costs 4 timez mor than my PC.....is NOW A SLOW GAMER............1 crappy year later........that sux for him........not for me...now mine runs circles around his.....DUAL crossfire GPU Upgrade Smokes any modern day Mac...at a decimal fraction of the cost of a new apple/mac......i guess i could afford to buy a new Apple every year....but im not dumb
That's good for you and all...but I submit that Apple is not for gamers in any case. They never have focused on being gaming monsters like Alienware and now Asus.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:21 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,772,730 times
I enjoyed this thread more when the title contained the error....

Old 07-22-2010, 07:34 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,726,091 times
Yeah, who would buy a Mac for a gaming platform? Its like buying a Corvette to go offroading.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:19 AM

16,736 posts, read 15,743,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I enjoyed this thread more when the title contained the error....
Maybe one of the mods could put it back.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:57 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,126,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
Yeah, who would buy a Mac for a gaming platform? Its like buying a Corvette to go offroading.
Man. The Mac has had some GOOD games. Pararena, Cyclone, Glypha II...

Okay, maybe you're right. I still liked Pararena on my IIci, tho.

Old 07-23-2010, 03:17 PM

181 posts, read 299,826 times
This thread should be stickied

Old 07-23-2010, 06:33 PM

20,306 posts, read 37,269,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woi2ld View Post

It's ridiculous to think that one would buy a Mac for "gaming" Yes, one could play games on an Intel Mac, but there are gaming machines that do a lot better than a computer be it a PC or a Mac for playing games. Other than that, a PC is better than the Mac for "gaming." But lets be serious here: buying a computer to play games?

And you are completely wrong about upgrades: the desktop Mac allows you for any upgrade you want to, but it will cost you a lot more than a PC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers