Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 09:44 AM

50,768 posts, read 36,458,112 times

Advertisements

I've never had a router before because usually I plug into my Xfinity modem, or use my neighbor's unsecured wireless (he knows). I just got a 5th gen ipod touch though and it won't connect over the unsecured network, so I assume I need a router.

I am leaning toward Apple Express because I am almost illiterate when it comes to tech, and in my experience Apple devices require almost no set-up, you plug it in and it really sets itself up. If I do have trouble, Apple customer service is great, easy to get to fast, and they walk me through it like Kindergarten teachers. However it's expensive compared to many, and I'm wondering if non-Apple routers are hard to set up (my laptop is Apple as well) or if there is any reason other reason I shouldn't consider a cheaper one.

I probably will never use it for anything other than accessing internet, no playing music, apple TV or anything else like that.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 10:37 AM

17,709 posts, read 29,812,481 times
Default You answered your own question

Buy the AirPort Express.
Life is too short to waste time setting up another brand.
The model you want is
Apple AirPort Express Base Station (MC414LL/A)
Consider a used one from Amazon or eBay.

Following my response will be 5 others saying:
brand x is cheaper
price is everything
brand x is easy to set up
don't waste you money on overprice Crapple products

Old 12-02-2012, 10:47 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,284,036 times
Under the hood - a router is a router. The fundamentals are essentially the same. That said, which router you chose is really a personal decision. Spend a bit more money, or spend a bit more time figuring things out....

In either case, if the only reason you're considering getting your own router is because of the iPod touch...my advice would be to seek assistance in connecting the iPod. That will be your cheapest solution (assuming your neighbor hasn't changed their mind about sharing their signal).

Old 12-02-2012, 11:07 AM

No he hasn't changed his mind, I'm on it right now with my laptop because I lost my ethernet cable evacuating from Sandy and haven't gotten a new one yet. He's less literate than I am, doesn't use it much and I'm the one who lets him know when his internet is down, lol. I also tried to get onto Xfinity WiFi which was one of the options that came up (Xfinity is what I have) but it kept saying my password was wrong. I typed it in 3 times, very carefully. I just assumed not having a router is the problem, but it's possible it's not. I'll call Apple.

Apple did have refurbished units on their store for $69, but I never bought refurbished so I wasn't sure if it was a good idea.

Thanks to both of you!

Old 12-02-2012, 11:15 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
If you get an xfinity wifi signal in your home, then you do not need a router. When you connect to xfinity, open a web browser. It will ask you for your xfinity username and password. Any comcast email username and password will work.

Old 12-02-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
If you get an xfinity wifi signal in your home, then you do not need a router. When you connect to xfinity, open a web browser. It will ask you for your xfinity username and password. Any comcast email username and password will work.
I put my username and password in the Xfinity log on page multiple times and it keeps saying it's incorrect. I realize it is easy to push the wrong button, forget to use caps, etc with the touchscreen buttons but I did it multiple times very carefully. I use the password all the time on my laptop without a problem.

Old 12-02-2012, 02:22 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,005,312 times
I just bought a Netgear N600 Dual Band. Easiest setup ever.

You can get single band Netgear routers for under $60

Old 12-02-2012, 03:18 PM

Well, I probably should have done this first, but I called Apple and now I'm online. Even though the Safari screen said "your device is not connected to the internet" she told me to put something in the address bar anyway, so I punched in Google and it came up! I'm on with the Xfinity Wifi. I should get a router anyway (my neighbor is very disorganized and forgets to pay his cable bill sometimes) so appreciate the advice!

Did you set the net gear up with PC or Mac? What did it entail? I just remember my niece telling me it took her hours to set hers up, although that was several years ago. I might go with the refurbished Apple anyway, mainly because I know if I encounter problems I can get someone on the phone within a minute or 2 to help me.

Old 12-02-2012, 03:24 PM

354 posts, read 517,864 times
So u will buy a router JUST to connect an ipod with a small screen when you have no problem connecting your laptop that can do what the ipod can and more and with much bigger screen. is there a special thing that ipod can do that i do not know?

Have you explored everything on the network setting on the ipod i mean is the wireless setting turned on. maybe it was the wireless hardware on the ipod that is broken or something. is there a way to check if it working fine?

Old 12-02-2012, 03:44 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,194,123 times
I have an Asus RT-N56U router, was a piece of cake to set up, Mackbook Pro access was no problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers