Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 05:03 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,989,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
The problem isn't the Mac it's the Windows users that receive the document...Mac's can do this Windows can't.
Lulz! spoken like a true fanboy. "I sent you a postcard, it's in Spanish. It's not MY fault you can't read it!"

Old 05-27-2010, 05:26 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,931,267 times
Quote:
A very important step towards one user OS.

Once you consider that Windows is based on Apple's graphics interface it's only logical that windows should complete it's transformation into a universal OS based on Apple's OS X.

LOL

"The streets will flow with the blood of the non-believers!"

Old 05-27-2010, 05:28 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,677,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djxpress View Post
Lulz! spoken like a true fanboy. "I sent you a postcard, it's in Spanish. It's not MY fault you can't read it!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmig View Post
LOL

"The streets will flow with the blood of the non-believers!"
Ok ,but just tell me I'm wrong on the end direction computers must take at the end of the day. No Mac's, nor any Windows OS, just one OS patterned on OS X!

Old 05-27-2010, 05:32 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,989,489 times
Since the news reported that Apple has overcome Microsoft as the largest technology company, it is only a matter of time until we will all be wearing black "spectacles", carrying single strap backpacks, and using our underpowered iPads at the newest tea shop.

Edit: No Tightwad, if that time does come (hopefully not in my lifetime) it will be more likely patterned after OS XIX...or later.

Old 05-27-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Ok ,but just tell me I'm wrong on the end direction computers must take at the end of the day. No Mac's, nor any Windows OS, just one OS patterned on OS X!

You're wrong on the end direction computers "must" take.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:21 PM

Quote:
You're wrong on the end direction computers "must" take.
Lets' let time decide this shall we? I still think a universal OS is the end game for computers.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:54 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Mac OS didn't originate or take it's roots from Windows..which was based on DOS.
There were some legal issues between MS and Apple.
MS got much of their GUI from IBM's OS/2 (the folders and object oriented workplace shell desktop)

Mac OS is more BSD-like.

A Brief History of Mac OS X
History of Microsoft Windows - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-27-2010, 11:22 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,174,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Mac OS didn't originate or take it's roots from Windows..which was based on DOS.
There were some legal issues between MS and Apple.
MS got much of their GUI from IBM's OS/2 (the folders and object oriented workplace shell desktop)

Mac OS is more BSD-like.

A Brief History of Mac OS X
History of Microsoft Windows - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In reality, back at its beginning, Apple used the icons (folders, files, etc.) from Xerox Corporation. This happened when Apple hired several former employees of Xerox. When Xerox realized that Apple had used these icons, they sued Apple. However, since Xerox had not patented the icons they lost in court, and Apple continued using them. Later, MS began using the same icons, and Apple sued, but lost because the icons were not Apple's, nor Xerox, nor MS.

Mac OS-X is another story all together, and you probably are correct.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Lets' let time decide this shall we? I still think a universal OS is the end game for computers.
No, I think we have to resolve this now. With naked oil wrestling.

Yes, there will be a nearly universal interface standard(no such thing as universal solutions to individual problems). But I do not see any reason there would only be one company writing it. And it will be very configurable to individual needs. Apple will produce their idea of what it should be. Microsoft will produce theirs. Other companies will produce theirs. Some ideas will be better than others and will survive to move into a standard. The entire interface game is poised for some major changes. Don't limit yourself to the Job's Box.

Old 05-28-2010, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Yes, there will be a nearly universal interface standard(no such thing as universal solutions to individual problems). But I do not see any reason there would only be one company writing it. And it will be very configurable to individual needs. Apple will produce their idea of what it should be. Microsoft will produce theirs. Other companies will produce theirs. Some ideas will be better than others and will survive to move into a standard. The entire interface game is poised for some major changes. Don't limit yourself to the Job's Box.
Until there are no hackers or other bad guys/stuff out there I will stay with "Job's Box" thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers