Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 05:54 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,459,583 times

Advertisements

I've been in my position at work for quite a few years now. In that time I've saved a few files on the computer with my personal stuff. It's looking like I'm going to start job hunting in the next few months and before I begin I want to get my stuff off this computer and move it to mine at home.

I've got documents, pdf files, photos, spreadsheets, etc. It's a ton of info in all different formats so just e-mailing them to myself one at a time - or even 10 at a time - would take forever.

Other than bringing in a external hard drive or a ton of flash drives, is there an easy way to move everything? E-mailing is fine if there's a way to 'zip' all the files in one, I"m just not sure how to do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 05:58 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,502,549 times
Zip is a type of compressing. It makes files smaller and can put multiple files inside a single zip archive, but certain file types such as photos won't compress. How many gigabytes worth of files do you need to move? An external hard drive is the fastest in most cases. Online options include Dropbox and Skydrive but if you have a lot of stuff and the upload speed is slow, it'll take forever

Old 01-05-2010, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Zip is a type of compressing. It makes files smaller and can put multiple files inside a single zip archive, but certain file types such as photos won't compress. How many gigabytes worth of files do you need to move? An external hard drive is the fastest in most cases. Online options include Dropbox and Skydrive but if you have a lot of stuff and the upload speed is slow, it'll take forever

Photos I can move to a photo bucket account I guess. That's not as big a deal. And I've probably got a good bit of photos on here I don't even need anymore.

I have no clue how many gigs I've got on here. Any clue how I can find out?

I need an external hard drive at home anyway for our photos and videos. I guess the smart thing to do is just go get one and be done with it.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:16 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,502,549 times
Right click, properties on a folder and it'll tell you how big it is, including anything in subfolders. I believe Photobucket limits you to 1024x768 resolution on the pictures you upload which is pretty low quality. Its OK for web viewing, but I wouldn't want that to be my only copy. Get the USB drive, backup your work stuff, bring it home and put it on your home PC. Then use the drive to backup your home PC. Remember, you always want at least two copies of anything important.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:25 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,237,563 times
Is it a few files or a ton of data? The original post says both.

It probably isn't as many Gb as you think unless there are videos.

I would caution you in the future to NEVER rely on a business computer as a holding place for your personal data. You probably have no legal right whatsoever to that computer if by chance you were fired. You may already be violating a company policy by storing personal data on the computer. People do it all the time - but the company can deny you the right to acess the computer right before you leave.

I would size the data, and probably use USB drives. While you are moving data to the USB drives - I would DELETE them from the computer. If you want the photos at work - access them off the USB drive instead of your hard drive.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:50 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,674,587 times
You can get an 8GB flash drive for under $25. That should take care of it. Move everything onto that, transfer to another computer if needed, delete, clean drive, do it again, etc.
Or buy a couple. They're small and cheap.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:35 AM

16,740 posts, read 15,755,116 times
Open My Computer, Local Disk C, Documents and Settings (or Users if running Vista), Your Username. Right Chick on My Documents and select Properties to find out how big that folder is. Then you'll know what kind of storage requirement you have.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:44 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,699,573 times
Thumb drive or external hard drive might be an option for you.

Old 01-06-2010, 03:32 PM

I moved all the files to a single file on the desk top. Each file has sub files and those have sub files and so on.

Anyway it's 9.52GB, 9540 files and 314 folders if that helps any.

Maybe I'll do the little flash drives if it will only take a couple to move it all over. Then I'll get the external for backing up the home computer.

Old 01-06-2010, 04:37 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,786,803 times
With one of these you can be done in one pass.

Newegg.com - Computer Hardware,Memory,USB Flash Drives,16GB
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers