Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2009, 12:14 PM

531 posts, read 2,907,435 times

Advertisements

I suspect I know the best answer to this but I'm just looking for confirmation. My wife is a photographer and has filled up her 250GB external hard drive. We recently got her a new 1TB external drive to replace the old one. I liked to back up everything on the old one onto the new one. What is the best way to do this? Should I just hook up the new one while the old one is also still hooked up, and copy everything over from old to new? And then just unhook the old one and put away somewhere safe? Seems like the most logical way to go, but is there anything else I need to be aware of?

And a long shot question here, as I don't expect anyone to know. She uses Photoshop Elements editing software, which includes an "Organizer" feature which basically provides quick access to all of the files on her HD. Once the old HD is removed and replaced with the new HD, I'm assuming her Organizer will be empty. If by chance anyone has any experience with this program and this process and can confirm, I would appreciate it....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 12:25 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,728,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtobeanyer View Post
Should I just hook up the new one while the old one is also still hooked up, and copy everything over from old to new?
That is how I would do it.

You may be able to find the answer to your Photoshop question in this Google book.

Old 10-12-2009, 12:54 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,694,714 times
The organizer should be accessing files by Drive letter (D, E, F, etc.). As long as you keep the file structure the same and rename the new drive with the same letter as the old drive, it should still work.
Just don't do the renaming until after you've got all the files transfered and no longer need the old external drive.

Old 10-12-2009, 01:11 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,229,104 times
When you do the transfer/copy, be prepared for a long process, perhaps several hours or more. I scanned all the family's slides and filled up a 500GB external USB drive. I hooked up a new 1TB external USB drive and began copying. It took most of two days (not continuously) to complete. I'm using a Dell PentiumD machine with USB2 ports. I broke the copy down into subdirectories so not to do it all at once. Make sure you have a good UPS and that your pc and external drives are plugged into it. You don't want a power hiccup to screw up a transfer several hours into it. I did my transfer on a weekend and let the copying continue and take place overnight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers